The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ray_charlene
lol i knew it!!!!!
:d:d:d:d:d

:colondollar: I see you're interested in Law! Are you going to apply to HKU for Law??
Original post by ExplorerMF
:colondollar: I see you're interested in Law! Are you going to apply to HKU for Law??

absolutely not :frown:
im not as bright as you guys:redface:
Reply 42
Original post by ray_charlene
absolutely not :frown:
im not as bright as you guys:redface:

Aww :frown: Are you applying within the UK then?
Reply 43
I've applied there for 2012 entry! I chose Medicine as my top choice and Biomedical Sciences as my second choice. Fingers crossed!! :smile:

Aww good luck!! Would you choose HKU over a UK university offer?
Reply 44
Original post by 21Grapes
Aww good luck!! Would you choose HKU over a UK university offer?

Thanks 21Grapes! Most likely since I'll save TONS of money and living in HK sounds exciting!! Are you applying to uni too??
Reply 45
Anyone know the chances of getting in HKU LLB if its a second choice?

I've applied there for 2012 entry! I chose Medicine as my top choice and Biomedical Sciences as my second choice. Fingers crossed!! :smile:

Hey! Do you live in Hong Kong? Do you know what their offers are for medicine, and also the number of international applicants they accept each year? :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by belleoftheball29
Hey! Do you live in Hong Kong? Do you know what their offers are for medicine, and also the number of international applicants they accept each year? :smile:

Hey there! No, I don't live in HK. If you check out their website, the required grades are pretty low but I'm sure most successful applicants have stellar grades! Here's the link to their website: http://www0.hku.hk/facmed/03edu_undergrad_mbbs.htm

The site doesn't really state the number of international applicants they'll accept but preference is given to local students. According to someone's blog I read, they've expanded the non-jupas quota to about 30? Here's the link: http://hkmed.blogspot.com/2009/02/hku-medicine-mbbs-non-jupas-admissions.html

It gives you some insight to the admissions process etc, not sure how accurate it is since it was posted back in 2008! :tongue:

Hope that helps!!
Anyone know the entry requirements( UK equivalent) for Comp Science?
Reply 49
Original post by Lakhvir.Singh
Anyone know the entry requirements( UK equivalent) for Comp Science?

I'm assuming you're inquiring about undergrad?

This is from their website:

General requirements:
GCE A-level
For applicants who have completed the entire GCE A-level curriculum:
Grade E in three GCE Advanced Level subjects, not including any language subjects.
GCE AS-level For applicants who have completed GCE-AS level only:
Grade B in three GCE Advanced Subsidiary Level subjects, not including any language
subjects.

Program-specific requirements:
two subjects, including: l Mathematics (AL)
or
Further Mathematics (AL)
and
l Physics (AL)
and
a non-Chinese subject

Hope that helps! :biggrin:

I only know for the IB, and it's ridiculous! For IB a student needs 42/45 in IB to secure an interview. It's basically 42+ or you're not getting there! I was predicted 41 last year and that didn't matter...
Reply 51
hey im a local student, and here's what local people think about HKU economics.
more and more good students are putting hku economics as their first/second choices. i.e. those with remarkable academic achievements.
but a noteworthy point is that you would see many many mainlanders there. esp if you taking economics, and the competition is fierce if you are hoping for passing with first honor.
and probably, the majority of hk lecturers don't speak good English, however, if you do not mind listening to chinglish, it wouldn't matter at all (though a few of them really do speak excellent english).
the attendance is surprisingly low, esp in economics.
though it's not a good location if you are looking for a bustling and busy hong kong, it takes only 15 minutes to get to the city centre like Causeway Bay and Mong Kok and it's a great place to study. the view is also great, probably one of the best places to have the panoramic view of hk.
not only is it ranked first in asia, HKU is also a brilliant uni where you have the freedom of thought, worship and almost everything.
compared to other hk universities, hku has a more relaxed and joyous atmosphere
(edited 12 years ago)

Hey there! No, I don't live in HK. If you check out their website, the required grades are pretty low but I'm sure most successful applicants have stellar grades! Here's the link to their website: http://www0.hku.hk/facmed/03edu_undergrad_mbbs.htm

The site doesn't really state the number of international applicants they'll accept but preference is given to local students. According to someone's blog I read, they've expanded the non-jupas quota to about 30? Here's the link: http://hkmed.blogspot.com/2009/02/hku-medicine-mbbs-non-jupas-admissions.html

It gives you some insight to the admissions process etc, not sure how accurate it is since it was posted back in 2008! :tongue:

Hope that helps!!

I read that last night. 30 seems like a fair amount, though. But non-jupas also includes HK-ers who studied overseas, am I right? I'm an international student from Malaysia. Where're you from, if you don't mind? :smile:
Original post by wavezone113

I only know for the IB, and it's ridiculous! For IB a student needs 42/45 in IB to secure an interview. It's basically 42+ or you're not getting there! I was predicted 41 last year and that didn't matter...

Whoa that's crazy. Just to snag an interview. Weird, though, other courses don't require such stellar grades. Are you reapplying this year?
Whoa that's crazy. Just to snag an interview. Weird, though, other courses don't require such stellar grades. Are you reapplying this year?

Yeah, reapplying this year, though I doubt I'll have any better of a chance. Ended up with 40, which is great, but sadly not enough for HKU and CUHK!

Yeah, reapplying this year, though I doubt I'll have any better of a chance. Ended up with 40, which is great, but sadly not enough for HKU and CUHK!

All the best! :smile: Where're you from, btw?
All the best! :smile: Where're you from, btw?

Hong Kong itself! :P You?

Hong Kong itself! :P You?

Malaysia!
Malaysia!

What are you hoping to study? :smile:
I'll be applying to HKU for study abroad for 2012/2013! :woo: Anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending