The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chr1stopher11
Ah ok, so you can opt out of halls activities if you want if you are an international student? I've looked at each hall's website and from most of the pictures it seems like there are only Asian people living there, but then again most of the photos are to do with sports. Are there many Europeans(specifically British)/Americans/Australians etc in the halls and is there an international feel?

Great, very close then! Right now I live in halls that is a 30 minute commute away from my campus so I really would like to be close this year. Is Starr hall a popular choice?

If you want a more international feel, then definitely go for Starr Hall. As far as I know, it's got the highest percentage of international/exchange/non-local students. For that reason, and because it's a relatively new hall and has less stringent traditions and "culture", it's a pretty popular choice among students.

Even though Starr Hall is not exactly located on campus, it is located right next to the entrance of the main campus. There's also a shopping mall (with a supermarket, restaurants, and the typical stuff) right next to it. Keep in mind that the HKU campus is really not that big - this means that your major usually has little to do with the location of your lectures.
Original post by Interpretation
If you want a more international feel, then definitely go for Starr Hall. As far as I know, it's got the highest percentage of international/exchange/non-local students. For that reason, and because it's a relatively new hall and has less stringent traditions and "culture", it's a pretty popular choice among students.

Even though Starr Hall is not exactly located on campus, it is located right next to the entrance of the main campus. There's also a shopping mall (with a supermarket, restaurants, and the typical stuff) right next to it. Keep in mind that the HKU campus is really not that big - this means that your major usually has little to do with the location of your lectures.

Yes I definitely want an international feel, it is one of the things I like about the hall I am in now. I'll go for Starr Hall then. Do you know how the application for housing works? Do you rank your choices or are you only allowed one choice?

That seems quite nice. How is the area that the HKU campus is located in? Is it close/easy to get to central HK?
Yes I definitely want an international feel, it is one of the things I like about the hall I am in now. I'll go for Starr Hall then. Do you know how the application for housing works? Do you rank your choices or are you only allowed one choice?

That seems quite nice. How is the area that the HKU campus is located in? Is it close/easy to get to central HK?

HKU main campus is located along Bonham Road, where it is about a 15 minute down the hill walk to Sai Wan. if u are studying medicine, the campus will be in Sasson Road. if u are studying dentistry, the campus will be in Prince Philip Dental Hospital. the campuses are quite far from central and u must take a bus / minibus / taxi to central.
One thing I'm worried about is if I am able to adapt in HKU.
I applied as a local, and although I speak Cantonese with my parents on a daily basis, I'm very poor at it, and forget trying to read Chinese!
I at first assumed the courses will be taught in English, but after looking at the textbooks they use (which are in Chinese), I have become very worried. o_o
I might be able to manage somehow. I'll go have a look at the website again.
They only said I need English and have at least passed another language at GCSE level during the application process so I'm going to go with that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jessicutie
One thing I'm worried about is if I am able to adapt in HKU.
I applied as a local, and although I speak Cantonese with my parents on a daily basis, I'm very poor at it, and forget trying to read Chinese!
I at first assumed the courses will be taught in English, but after looking at the textbooks they use (which are in Chinese), I have become very worried. o_o
I might be able to manage somehow. I'll go have a look at the website again.
They only said I need English and have at least passed another language at GCSE level during the application process so I'm going to go with that.

Which course are those textbooks for? :confused:

I'm not sure how hall application works for exchange students, all I know is that the online application will open on May 16th (http://cedars.hku.hk/cedars/subaccommodation.aspx?submenu=news&cmd=news/hallsofres&lkind=11).

HKU's located in a residential area for, generally speaking, the upper-middle to upper classes. There's a high concentration of foreigners and expats compared to the rest of Hong Kong. It's pretty hilly here (strange word...) as well - quite a lot of steep slopes and stairs. From the campus, it takes about 15-30 minutes to get to Central, depending on where about in Central you're going to, the bus you take, and whether there's any traffic.
Which course are those textbooks for? :confused:

Japanese Studies, and the textbooks are for learning the Japanese language to be specific.

Ah well, they said I need prior knowledge of Chinese characters (don't know how much though) so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I regret not taking Chinese seriously when I was younger.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 766
Has any international undergraduate student here got an offer from cuhk for engineering course?
Original post by dragon_knight
HKU main campus is located along Bonham Road, where it is about a 15 minute down the hill walk to Sai Wan. if u are studying medicine, the campus will be in Sasson Road. if u are studying dentistry, the campus will be in Prince Philip Dental Hospital. the campuses are quite far from central and u must take a bus / minibus / taxi to central.

What is in Sai Wan? I've been told that I should get an octopus card, does it work on buses and how much does a bus journey cost?

I'm not sure how hall application works for exchange students, all I know is that the online application will open on May 16th (http://cedars.hku.hk/cedars/subaccommodation.aspx?submenu=news&cmd=news/hallsofres&lkind=11).

Yeah I've been told that from my study abroad office at my university. Is there a closing date for accommodation applications?

HKU's located in a residential area for, generally speaking, the upper-middle to upper classes. There's a high concentration of foreigners and expats compared to the rest of Hong Kong. It's pretty hilly here (strange word...) as well - quite a lot of steep slopes and stairs. From the campus, it takes about 15-30 minutes to get to Central, depending on where about in Central you're going to, the bus you take, and whether there's any traffic.

Ah ok, so it is a posh area. When you say foreigners, do you mean not from Asia or not from HK? Do many British people live in HK? 30 minutes is fine for me. :smile:
What is in Sai Wan? I've been told that I should get an octopus card, does it work on buses and how much does a bus journey cost?

sai wan is a district in hk, just like central or tsim sha tsui. it is also, generally speaking, the district where hku lies in. but when we say sai wan, we usually refer to the sai wan near the victoria harbour, like not up on the hill. sorry if its complicated but just treat sai wan as a small area near hku :smile:

YOU MUST GET AN OCTOPUS CARD in order to survive in HK :biggrin: octopus cards is used in MTR (metros in hk), buses, minibuses, taxis (only a small portion), restaurants ( many but not all), etc. basically everyday u will use octopus card, its a bit like oyster card in london but only that octopus card can be used in more occasions.

a bus trip from HKU to causeway bay ( crowded shopping and hanging out area) is roughly $7 to $10 in HKD.
sai wan is a district in hk, just like central or tsim sha tsui. it is also, generally speaking, the district where hku lies in. but when we say sai wan, we usually refer to the sai wan near the victoria harbour, like not up on the hill. sorry if its complicated but just treat sai wan as a small area near hku :smile:

YOU MUST GET AN OCTOPUS CARD in order to survive in HK :biggrin: octopus cards is used in MTR (metros in hk), buses, minibuses, taxis (only a small portion), restaurants ( many but not all), etc. basically everyday u will use octopus card, its a bit like oyster card in london but only that octopus card can be used in more occasions.

a bus trip from HKU to causeway bay ( crowded shopping and hanging out area) is roughly $7 to $10 in HKD.

Ah ok. Can you easily get an octopus card? That is quite cheap! Can you get student discounts or is there only one type of octopus card?
Reply 770
Ah ok. Can you easily get an octopus card? That is quite cheap! Can you get student discounts or is there only one type of octopus card?

Yep the process is relatively similar to getting an oyster card. You can get a personalised octopus card (adult version) and then fill in the form given to you by your university to get the student status. Cant remember how much it is discounted exactly but yea. :smile:
Reply 771
Greetings to everyone,
My name is Peter. I am 18, from Bulgaria. I want to study in Hong Kong. I have applied for 4 universities - HKUST, CUHK, PolyU and CityU. I have received offers from two of them. The first offer is from HKUST. The faculty is "School of Humanities and Social Science" and the major is "Global China Studies". The second offer is from the Polytechnic University in HK. The major is "Accountancy and Finance". In your opinion, which offer is better(Which has more opportunities for job? ). Both off the offers have scholarships. It will be great if you share more information about this two majors.
Thank you!!!
Reply 772
Original post by petrovp93
Greetings to everyone,
My name is Peter. I am 18, from Bulgaria. I want to study in Hong Kong. I have applied for 4 universities - HKUST, CUHK, PolyU and CityU. I have received offers from two of them. The first offer is from HKUST. The faculty is "School of Humanities and Social Science" and the major is "Global China Studies". The second offer is from the Polytechnic University in HK. The major is "Accountancy and Finance". In your opinion, which offer is better(Which has more opportunities for job? ). Both off the offers have scholarships. It will be great if you share more information about this two majors.
Thank you!!!

Definitely HKUST. Much higher ranking and international recognition.
Reply 773
Original post by Vulpes
Definitely HKUST. Much higher ranking and international recognition.

Thank you for your fast reply. Without any doubt, HKUST is better than PolyU. But what about the major ? What are the job opportunities if I graduate the HKUST's program ? On the other side, HK is the biggest financial center in Asia and the demand for people with major in accounting and finance is high. As well as that, I would like to know is it hard for a foreigner who has graduated from a particular university in HK to find a good job there.
Reply 774
Has anyone applied to cuhk for undergraduate programme?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by petrovp93
Greetings to everyone,
Thank you!!!

hi there! congratulations for your offers!

Global China Studies is the newly introduced program in HKUST ( i think 2011 was the first batch of students). So it is hard to tell u the job opportunities of its graduates. but Global China Studies is the only program under the school of humanities and social science in HKUST, so quite a large proportion of resources in the school would be allocated into the program.

account and finance is one of the renowned program in PolyU. if u major in A and F, u will be qualified as an accountant after u've passed LCCI exam.

in terms of academics, students find it harder to get into account and finance in PolyU than global china studies in HKUST. however, since u are non-local, u will definitely be able to stay in halls in HKUST for at least one year, while u are not assured in PolyU. also, the studying enviornment in HKUST is more stressful than PolyU.

hope this info helps =)
Reply 776
hi there! congratulations for your offers!

Global China Studies is the newly introduced program in HKUST ( i think 2011 was the first batch of students). So it is hard to tell u the job opportunities of its graduates. but Global China Studies is the only program under the school of humanities and social science in HKUST, so quite a large proportion of resources in the school would be allocated into the program.

account and finance is one of the renowned program in PolyU. if u major in A and F, u will be qualified as an accountant after u've passed LCCI exam.

in terms of academics, students find it harder to get into account and finance in PolyU than global china studies in HKUST. however, since u are non-local, u will definitely be able to stay in halls in HKUST for at least one year, while u are not assured in PolyU. also, the studying enviornment in HKUST is more stressful than PolyU.

hope this info helps =)

Thank you for your reply,
Is the PolyU's AF program competitive with those in the big 3 universities ? Are there many international students studying this major?
I really want to go to HKUST. The campus and the whole environment there is great. But if the Global china studies major doesn't provide me opportunities in future, there will be no point in going there.
any one got the medicine offer (HKU MBBS)?
Reply 778
Greetings ppl! I am new to this rm and is really keen to study medicine in HKU nxt year. I am from Singapore and graduated via GCE 'A' levels in year 2010, currently serving my national service. I do have a few queries on admission into HKU medicine and hope that you guys can help me out here.

1. Are there any specific cut-off grades for HKU medicine for s'pore GCE 'A' lvls?

2. Do we get to choose between the new and old curriculum? (3 yr / 4 yr)

3. If i put dentistry as my second choice, will i be considered for it?

So sorry for the spamming of qns, and really do thank all of u for your help!

Best,
Wei Chong
Original post by weichong
Greetings ppl! I am new to this rm and is really keen to study medicine in HKU nxt year. I am from Singapore and graduated via GCE 'A' levels in year 2010, currently serving my national service. I do have a few queries on admission into HKU medicine and hope that you guys can help me out here.

1. Are there any specific cut-off grades for HKU medicine for s'pore GCE 'A' lvls?

2. Do we get to choose between the new and old curriculum? (3 yr / 4 yr)

3. If i put dentistry as my second choice, will i be considered for it?

So sorry for the spamming of qns, and really do thank all of u for your help!

Best,
Wei Chong

hi there! welcome to this forum! let me answer some of your questions:

1. according to http://www.asa.hku.hk/admission/nonjupas-uer.htm , or students holding singapore GCE A levels,
"Grade E or above in seven subjects in the first and/or second attempt in the GCE O-level examination, of which:
six subjects shall be obtained at one and the same time;
one shall be English Language at grade C or above;
one shall be Mathematics; and
one shall be a language other than English (e.g. German, French), or if Chinese/Mandarin is offered as a language other than English, grade E or above in GCE Advanced Level H1 Chinese is required; and
Grade E or above in two subjects at H2 level and one subject at H1 level (other than Chinese/Mandarin), or the equivalent in GCE A-Level examination. "

obviously achieveing that requirement grade is totally insufficient to secure a place for HKU medicine. u must, however, meet the above requirements in order to be considered by the university. i think they treat singapore GCE as the same as UK GCE (although singapore one is much tougher). since u are treated as a gap year student, u should have some A* in order to make your application competitive.

2. no your don't. faculty of medicine will help u to choose if u are offered a place. beware, HKU medicine is a 5 YEAR OR 6 YEAR program instead of 3year or 4year. if u are competitive enough, they will offer u a 5 year place. if they want to admit u into HKU but your grades are slightly not competitive as other students, they may allocate u into the 6 year program.

3. your second choice will only be considered after your first choice is rejected. that is, BDS will only receive your application information after MBBS rejects u. this is quite unfair to ppl who are rejected late as this means less time is give for 2nd choice program to read your profile. but well... this is life :frown:

hope this helps :biggrin:
dragon knight

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending