The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi there, I'm considering applying to HKU for Science BSC for 2012 entry.

Does anyone know what percentage of international applicants to HKU get an interview?

Btw as they say "Each interview will be conducted in a group of 6-8 students for no more than 30 minutes, with 2 interviewers in each panel.". Must be fun :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by ExplorerMF
Thanks 21Grapes! Most likely since I'll save TONS of money and living in HK sounds exciting!! Are you applying to uni too??

I am, yes!! :smile: My family are all from HK and i go back every year but the idea of studying there still really scares me O_O aha!
Apart from my 5 UCAS choices im applying for Economics at HKU through Non-Jupas :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by traveler11
Btw as they say "Each interview will be conducted in a group of 6-8 students for no more than 30 minutes, with 2 interviewers in each panel.". Must be fun :biggrin:

If you're an international student, i dont think they'll ask you to attend a group interview though all the way over in HK :3 Phone interview would be more likely (i could be wrong though..!)
Original post by wavezone113

What are you hoping to study? :smile:

Medicine, but I'm still deciding whether or not to apply to HKU. I speak elementary Cantonese and I don't know whether it satisfies the course requirements, especially when it comes to contact with patients. That's also if I make it through the selection process. :wink:
Original post by belleoftheball29
Medicine, but I'm still deciding whether or not to apply to HKU. I speak elementary Cantonese and I don't know whether it satisfies the course requirements, especially when it comes to contact with patients. That's also if I make it through the selection process. :wink:

I see what you mean! But I think it's worth a try! I read somewhere that even for those who don't speak chinese, if they show a real motivation to learn the language (during the course) then they will still be considered!
I am from HK, and HKU is really good!! its the top university in Hong Kong and in asia!!!
Hong Kong students try so hard to get in!! so i think if you get an offer please go :smile: its in central so the location is great! close to everywhere,

HKUST is also one of the top university in HK, and its quite new,

But i personally think HKU is better :smile:
Hi there, I'm considering applying to HKU for Science BSC for 2012 entry.

Does anyone know what percentage of international applicants to HKU get an interview?

I have a friend who applied to HKU for science last year (non-JUPAS international) and she got a phone interview. Likewise, I applied for Social Sciences and got an interview through Skype, so I don't think they'll expect you to physically attend an interview if you're living overseas :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Interpretation
Likewise, I applied for Social Sciences and got an interview through Skype

I think i'd prefer phone over Skype O_O what was the interview like? :smile: (did oyu end up going to HKU then??)
Reply 68
I have a friend who applied to HKU for science last year (non-JUPAS international) and she got a phone interview. Likewise, I applied for Social Sciences and got an interview through Skype, so I don't think they'll expect you to physically attend an interview if you're living overseas :tongue:

I will probably ask them to arrange the interview in person, since I believe I would stand a better chance that way. When I was interviewed at Oxford last year, there were few people who came from overseas even though phone/Skype was an option. Plus, I'm currently living within a 3-hour flight from HK (though I'm Polish).

How was your HKU interview compared to the Oxford one (just browsed your past posts :wink:)?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by wildrover
Fantastic place for human rights.

Hong Kong =/= China

Go read some books :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
No, I wouldn't visit any country were I couldn't expect a fair trial or be in fear of voicing my opinion.

Lol, this is hilarious.
Original post by TheMJCG
I called then to apply for the medicine MBBS course and they said that a good knowledge of Cantonese is required.

Medicine taught in English but most patients speak Cantonese. I applied there.
I applied for Social Sciences and got an interview through Skype, so I don't think they'll expect you to physically attend an interview if you're living overseas :tongue:

Hey, I'm thinking of applying for Social Science -Geography :smile: Are you studying in HK now? Which Social Science was it that you applied for?

On a similar note, they ask you to give certified copies of your documents, does anyone know how I would certify my HKID card, I can't really fly over to the district office and get them to stamp and certify my copy D: !

I see what you mean! But I think it's worth a try! I read somewhere that even for those who don't speak chinese, if they show a real motivation to learn the language (during the course) then they will still be considered!

Thanks for the encouragement! I think I'll give it a shot. :smile:
Thanks for the encouragement! I think I'll give it a shot. :smile:

Hey there, out of interest, are you able to get student finance for going to Hong Kong, or are all you self-financing the tuition fees?
No, I wouldn't visit any country were I couldn't expect a fair trial or be in fear of voicing my opinion.

LOL you should be fearful of voicing your opinion regardless of geography because wherever you go it will be dumb. The Hong Kong SAR was under British control until 1997 so has near identical human rights protections and a British-based legal system, in fact it is currently party to more UN human rights documents than the UK.

Also good luck to the people applying to HKU, it is a great uni :smile: make sure you study and don't spend all your time at the beach!

Not good as HKU
HKU, HKUST and CU are those good one in HK
Although CU named Chinese University but its all taught in English :smile:
Reply 78
I read that last night. 30 seems like a fair amount, though. But non-jupas also includes HK-ers who studied overseas, am I right? I'm an international student from Malaysia. Where're you from, if you don't mind? :smile:

I think so - I'm not sure about the whole JUPAS/NON-JUPAS thing to be honest! LOL! :tongue:
I'm from Canada!! :cool:
Original post by 21Grapes
I think i'd prefer phone over Skype O_O what was the interview like? :smile: (did oyu end up going to HKU then??)

Yep! I'm at HKU right now :smile: See the reply below about the interview.

I will probably ask them to arrange the interview in person, since I believe I would stand a better chance that way. When I was interviewed at Oxford last year, there were few people who came from overseas even though phone/Skype was an option. Plus, I'm currently living within a 3-hour flight from HK (though I'm Polish).

How was your HKU interview compared to the Oxford one (just browsed your past posts :wink:)?

My interview at HKU was nothing compared to the one at Oxford... the whole interview lasted for about 10 minutes and was conducted by two professors. The questions were really general. I started off with an introduction of myself. Then they asked questions like "Why HKU?", "Why psychology?", etc. One question that did catch me off guard was about about how I plan to contribute to student life at HKU. I think I rambled on about joining sports and societies :tongue: Aside from that, I got asked several questions about the curriculum, so make sure that you've read through the course structure. But yeah, overall, it was really relaxed and the interviewers were both really nice!

I would say that my Oxford interview and HKU interview are two completely different things. The former is more about critical thinking and applying logic and given knowledge on new situations and is arguably one of the most important aspects in the application, whereas the latter feels more like they're conducting the interview out of formality - not sure about how important the HKU interview is.

Of course, that's just my experience with my interview so just take everything I said with a pinch of salt :smile:

Original post by rainbowmagpie
Hey, I'm thinking of applying for Social Science -Geography :smile: Are you studying in HK now? Which Social Science was it that you applied for?

Yeah, I'm a freshman at HKU :smile: Hmmm I take it that you're asking me what I'm planning to major in? I'm going to major in psychology :smile: Do take note that if you want to study geography, you have to apply for the Bachelor of Social Sciences and then declare geography as your major in your second year - as in, you can't apply for geography directly. Studying geography at HKU is different from studying it in the UK in the sense that it's a broader degree. During year 1, it's required that you take 3 introductory courses from the 5 departments under social sciences (i.e. sociology, psychology, geography, politics, social work). There are also compulsory English and Mandarin courses, as well as "common core" courses that students from all faculties have to take.

Also, are you aware of the fact that there are two curricula for Social Sciences (in fact, I'm quite certain that this applies to most of the other programs as well) next year? One is the three-year curriculum and the other is the four-year curriculum. As a non-JUPAS applicant, you don't get to choose which curriculum to apply to - the faculty decides for you based on various factors in your application. There will be 190 places for the 3-year curriculum and 195 for the 4-year curriculum for Social Sciences. I was helping out at the Information Day last weekend and during the briefing session, the general impression I got was that they'll be trying to make sure the number of non-JUPAS students is more or less the same across both curricula. Oh, also, there's no quota for non-JUPAS applicants.

Hope that helps :smile:

Original post by ExplorerMF
I think so - I'm not sure about the whole JUPAS/NON-JUPAS thing to be honest! LOL! :tongue:
I'm from Canada!! :cool:

JUPAS is basically like UCAS - except it only caters for students doing the HK A-level. Unless you're doing that (I'm assuming that you aren't), you're a non-JUPAS applicant.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest