The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dragon_knight
i'm mainly applying for medicine and healthcare-related ones like physiotherapy and speech and hearing. also applying for a business course. like JUPAS gives us 20 choices and it is quite hard to not include courses of different nautre. how about u? :smile:

I'm applying for medicine too! :wink: My second choice is biomedical science. Woah! 20 choices?? That's a lot!!! lol
Reply 121
Can't believe I have never come across this thread before. :smile:

Hi all! :hi:
Original post by ExplorerMF
I'm applying for medicine too! :wink: My second choice is biomedical science. Woah! 20 choices?? That's a lot!!! lol

yeah, but over 75% of offers are made for the first 3 choices. so basically only the first 3 choices are the ones u would really like to enter / confident to enter. the 20 choices also include high diploma and associate degrees. UCAS at least have 5 choices so it is actually better than hong kong's JUPAS

Original post by Vulpes
Can't believe I have never come across this thread before. :smile:

Hi all! :hi:

hey hi welcome to this thread! r u studying in hk? university of secondary school?
Reply 123
yeah, but over 75% of offers are made for the first 3 choices. so basically only the first 3 choices are the ones u would really like to enter / confident to enter. the 20 choices also include high diploma and associate degrees. UCAS at least have 5 choices so it is actually better than hong kong's JUPAS

hey hi welcome to this thread! r u studying in hk? university of secondary school?

Studying medicine at the University of Sheffield right now. :smile: I'm an international student from Hong Kong tho.
Original post by shimamura
How good is it? I just received an offer from them (by phoning up);I have also just got an offer from KCL. Which is better? HKU sounds more fun...

hey! when did u apply and what are the conditions of ur offer? congrats btw!:smile::smile::smile::smile::wink:
There's actually more people on here applying for HKU 2012 than i would have imagined ^_^ we're gonna have to all meet up and go "pek chau" xD

has anyone applied through fast-track? i was considering it, but ahh just went for the normal one instead. i wish there was no such thing as waiting :frown: ucas is already driving me crazy (and it's been less than a week xD)
I'm looking to apply to Durham, nottingham and Lancaster in the UK for accounting and business. Is HKU or HKUST better than my UK choices if I want to work in the financial sector?

Thanks
Original post by 21Grapes
There's actually more people on here applying for HKU 2012 than i would have imagined ^_^ we're gonna have to all meet up and go "pek chau" xD

has anyone applied through fast-track? i was considering it, but ahh just went for the normal one instead. i wish there was no such thing as waiting :frown: ucas is already driving me crazy (and it's been less than a week xD)

Haha, "pek chau"! :tongue: I'm in so in if I make it in to HKU!

I applied through fast-track and I still haven't heard anything......:s-smilie:
Original post by ExplorerMF
Haha, "pek chau"! :tongue: I'm in so in if I make it in to HKU!

I applied through fast-track and I still haven't heard anything......:s-smilie:

lol love to pek chau :smile: let's go to LKF if we all get into HKU XD

Original post by soldiersixteen
I'm looking to apply to Durham, nottingham and Lancaster in the UK for accounting and business. Is HKU or HKUST better than my UK choices if I want to work in the financial sector?

Thanks

when talking about global university ranking, HKU is higher than HKUST. but HKUST is renown for its business studies. its EMBA course ranks the first worldwide, MBA course ranks the sixth wordwide. the global business undergrad course in HKUST (which is the business course that has the highest admission grades in HK) ranks the first in HK.

so if u are to study business, i would suggest u to choose HKUST.

but if for accounting, CUHK is better as they are renowned for producing high quality accoutants.

Original post by Vulpes
Studying medicine at the University of Sheffield right now. :smile: I'm an international student from Hong Kong tho.

icic. did u apply using GCE or HKALE or IB? and what was your grades if u dont mind me asking? :smile:
lol love to pek chau :smile: let's go to LKF if we all get into HKU XD

when talking about global university ranking, HKU is higher than HKUST. but HKUST is renown for its business studies. its EMBA course ranks the first worldwide, MBA course ranks the sixth wordwide. the global business undergrad course in HKUST (which is the business course that has the highest admission grades in HK) ranks the first in HK.

so if u are to study business, i would suggest u to choose HKUST.

but if for accounting, CUHK is better as they are renowned for producing high quality accoutants.

Thanks for that. Is it better to study in HK or UK if you wanna work in the financial sector? Also, how hard is it to get into HKUST or HKU?
Are there alot of international students(not just chinese and indian :P) in HK?

Thanks
Thanks for that. Is it better to study in HK or UK if you wanna work in the financial sector? Also, how hard is it to get into HKUST or HKU?

Thanks

There's no saying which country would be better for a career in finance in my opinion :/ it depends on what opportunities you get and what you do after. Difficulty is relative. If you have good grades then you will have a good chance, and also how much competition there is (which for HKU, is a lot) and which course (economics/finance is very popular).
i'm not sure about diversity of students, but I shouldn't expect there to be more internationals in HK then there would be in the UK.

LKF? I'm up for it :P
Original post by 21Grapes
LKF? I'm up for it :P

Same :wink:
is it possible to get into HKUST with ABB predictions, although i will most likely get AAB if not AAA?
How is the standard of living? It's rated quite high on the HDI.
is it possible to get into HKUST with ABB predictions, although i will most likely get AAB if not AAA?

You're better off phoning them up to ask. My friend is applying to UST for economics through NONJUPAS and apparently she only needs BBB - im not sure how true this is but if it is then accounting should be similar. As i said though, you should ask them directly instead.

As far as standard of living goes, most things are cheaper than the UK, certainly when it comes to food and such.

Thanks

the hardness actually depends on the number of applicants each year. last year the competition was extraordinary tougher than previous years, so if u can get into a specific subject with ABB predictions in a year, u may need an AAB-AAA prediction last year.

but the good news is, next year due to the double cohort of university admissions because of the education reform in hong kong, there will be at least double of places in each unis, so obviously with the supply suddenly surged, the competition is predicted to be less fierce than last year.

if u can get into high profile unis in UK, of course u should stay in uk. but if u dont and u are admitted into HKU / CUHK / HKUST, u may consider coming to hk. companies usually like foreign-trained business students but local students still stand a chance. however there is a saying in hong kong, that "if an advertising sign of a building suddenly falls onto the street, it will surely crush at least 50 BBA students to death." of course this is exaggerated but it reflects the fact that there are tonnes of BBA students in hk, and nothing mades u exceptionally special if u are only studying BBA.
(BBA = bachelor of business administration)
(instead if u are studying special course like BBA(Law) / BBA(IBGM) )

as said by 21grapes, certainly u will see more international students in UK universities than in hk universities. the figure for HKU is, about 25% of undergraduate students are international students (does not possess a permanent HK ID card), but the figure does not include exchange students or visiting professors. so u may find a few more international students in HKU than expected. one point to note is that among the international students, quite a number of them are mainland students (although HK is part of China, Chinese ppl are considered not belonging to HK. lame...)

it depends of what subjects u are applying to. for high-profile ones, like BBA (Law) / global business (GBUS) in CUHK and HKUST / International Business Global Management (IBGM) in HKU, this is certainly not enough.
(PS i got 5A* last year but was not even granted an interview for global business in HKUST :frown: )

if u are applying to normal BBA course like BBA(economics and finance) or BBA, it is enough for it i think :smile:
Reply 135
I want to work in Hong Kong, so would it be better to so a degree in HKU or HKUST and work in HK or would i be better of doing a degree in the UK and then going to HK for maybe a postgraduate degree or whatever?
Original post by Maddiee
I want to work in Hong Kong, so would it be better to so a degree in HKU or HKUST and work in HK or would i be better of doing a degree in the UK and then going to HK for maybe a postgraduate degree or whatever?

this is actually quite hard to say. the only thing that i could tell u, is HKU has a higher global university ranking than HKUST. but HKUST have a prestigious school of business and the business school is better than HKU.

companies may consider a person with UK undergrad degree as a person who's horizon is broadened than ppl studying in HK. if u like to enjoy university life, HK may be a better choice. If u like to see more and develop better social network, u'd better choose UK

hope this give u some clue to solve your problem :biggrin:
Reply 137
this is actually quite hard to say. the only thing that i could tell u, is HKU has a higher global university ranking than HKUST. but HKUST have a prestigious school of business and the business school is better than HKU.

companies may consider a person with UK undergrad degree as a person who's horizon is broadened than ppl studying in HK. if u like to enjoy university life, HK may be a better choice. If u like to see more and develop better social network, u'd better choose UK

hope this give u some clue to solve your problem :biggrin:

Mmm, yeah that clears up most of my questions, THANK YOU! but i guess, doing a degree in a good uni in HK is better than doing the same degree in a not so good uni in the UK right?

in that case, would i be exposed to the contacts i need in the UK? sorry about all these questions :')
Original post by Maddiee
Mmm, yeah that clears up most of my questions, THANK YOU! but i guess, doing a degree in a good uni in HK is better than doing the same degree in a not so good uni in the UK right?

in that case, would i be exposed to the contacts i need in the UK? sorry about all these questions :')

your welcome! yes that is correct. university ranking is a major factor of how employers recruit ppl.

well... what do u mean by exposed to the contacts? like are u asking, "if i am studying in HK, will I have the same social network as if i was studying in UK?"
Original post by Maddiee

There is no saying where you will get 'exposed to contacts'. You make contacts through friends, lecturers, people from work, events etc. but that is up to you and what you do, more so than where you are. So yes, you would meet people in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest