The Student Room Group

Primark Jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chr1stopher11
Thanks. The job description said:

"To be considered for the role you will need to have relevant experience. You will require:

- Strong communication skills and use of English language
- 2 years work experience ideally within retail environment
- Previous experience of working in busy environment as part of a team
- Qualified to GCSE level (or equivalent)"

So I just wanted some clarity but I thought it was odd to ask for 2 years work experience as it is only a sales assistant position.

Yeah but its not just Primark asking for experience, places like River Island, New Look and Forever 21 are all asking for previous retail experience - essentially in fashion...! :frown:

What I don't understand is how can people such as school/college leavers have any previous retail experience when no one could give them the chance too, even if they also have very good GCSE grades (such as A-C) or even A Levels to make up for it? :colonhash:

Well at least I have a job... :colondollar:
Original post by BeesKnees
Well, I think it might just be the primark I worked at (new street Birmingham) as a lot of people who worked there had worked at other primark stores and said it was the worst they'd worked at.

I've done all sorts of ****ty jobs but primark was seriously like working in a sweat shop. There's the customers who obviously just throw everything around after you've spent forever folding stuff up, I mean that's standard, whatever. But then the managers go around shouting at everyone "pick up pick up PICK UP!!!" and you have to run around like dogs picking everything up then you have to start folding it all up again, and they keep telling you you're not going fast enough. This is all in the sweltering summer heat, no aircon.

It was a traumatic experience to say the least lol.

I work in the same shop lol but everything you've put is so true, I used to work at Sheffield Meadowhall, that was a lot better than Birmingham in terms of tidying up and they let me go early (and most of the time, on time)...! :smile: But here its like finishing an hour and a half later to pick up all the mess that customers created and not getting praised for working so hard on everything you do. :mad: Customers tell me they're stupid, right, Customers: "Excuse me, is everything on sale?"
Me: Erm...no...! :lolwut:

Customers: Excuse me, do you work here?
Me: No I'm wearing a Primark badge for nothing... :shifty:

Customers: "Excuse me, how much is this", when they're actually looking at the price tag...:K:
Reply 22
Original post by Boreism
I work in the same shop lol but everything you've put is so true, I used to work at Sheffield Meadowhall, that was a lot better than Birmingham in terms of tidying up and they let me go early (and most of the time, on time)...! :smile: But here its like finishing an hour and a half later to pick up all the mess that customers created and not getting praised for working so hard on everything you do. :mad: Customers tell me they're stupid, right, Customers: "Excuse me, is everything on sale?"

Customers: "Excuse me, how much is this", when they're actually looking at the price tag...:K:

Lol i got that a lot in my previous job
Original post by chrisg2006
Lol i got that a lot in my previous job

I bet it annoyed you didn't it lol and in fact I still get that...
Reply 24
Original post by chr1stopher11
My local Primark is advertising for "retail operative" positions or something alone those lines. Is that they're equivalent of a sales assistant or is it something else?

May I ask if you saw the job advertised online or in-store?
Original post by acat

Primark don't advertise instore as far as I know. It's all online
Reply 26
Original post by acat

Sometimes they have a notice in the window in my local Primark, but I found the job online that I applied for. :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by acat

Online app's only
Original post by Boreism

haha i love how i got negged twice because of my post. I'm sorry to whom it may concern but the truth hurts...primark new st birmingham IS a sweat shop lol.

And Boreism, that was the worst when you had to stay over an hour and a half after to pick up, fold and put back crap! They don't even have the common decency to ask if you can stay. If they advertise certain hours for a job, I expect to work those hours, give or take a few minutes. I don't mind staying on the odd day or even if it was a quarter of an hour extra on a more regular basis (I do that now and again at my current workplace and they actually thank you for your help!) but they make you stay almost 1.5 hours!!! That's just ridiculous. It's like being back at school in detention.

Edit: Oh and getting up those flights of stairs that would send shivers down Rocky's spine for your break takes about 15 minutes. Coincidentally, that it about how long your break is.

I'm sorry for making it sound so awful but...actually i'm not, it IS that awful lol.
Respect for sticking it out Boreism, you're a better person than I am.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BeesKnees
haha i love how i got negged twice because of my post. I'm sorry to whom it may concern but the truth hurts...primark new st birmingham IS a sweat shop lol.

And Boreism, that was the worst when you had to stay over an hour and a half after to pick up, fold and put back crap! They don't even have the common decency to ask if you can stay. If they advertise certain hours for a job, I expect to work those hours, give or take a few minutes. I don't mind staying on the odd day or even if it was a quarter of an hour extra on a more regular basis (I do that now and again at my current workplace and they actually thank you for your help!) but they make you stay almost 1.5 hours!!! That's just ridiculous. It's like being back at school in detention.

Edit: Oh and getting up those flights of stairs that would send shivers down Rocky's spine for your break takes about 15 minutes. Coincidentally, that it about how long your break is.

I'm sorry for making it sound so awful but...actually i'm not, it IS that awful lol.
Respect for sticking it out Boreism, you're a better person than I am.

Thank you very much for your appreciation. I can't believe I made it to 2 years of working there! :eek: Might work at Nottingham store as I am going to Nottingham Trent University but on the condition they have a vacancy... :unsure:
And last week there was a lady customer who approached to me and asked how I coped working there. I replied saying VERY good organisational skills... :rolleyes:
Can you be 17 and work in primary I mean I'm getting my GCSEs results in August so could I still work there this summer, I'm desperate for a job
Yeah it's a long story I moved abroad so I'm meant to be in yr12 but repeated a year so is it stil possible to work in primark? If not I'll look some place else
Reply 32
Original post by azhar-1998
Yeah it's a long story I moved abroad so I'm meant to be in yr12 but repeated a year so is it stil possible to work in primark? If not I'll look some place else

yes it is, but you will not be able to work after 10pm and not more than 8 hours per day
That's fine
Can I just go to primark and give them my CV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by azhar-1998
Can I just go to primark and give them my CV?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no, they do not take cv in shops. you need to apply online

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending