Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why do bengalis get called fish?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ive always wondered
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Fish is one of the staple foods of bengalis, since the Bengal region is quite riverine.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yup. The Bengali region is riverine. Fish is one of their staple foods. The other is rice. So they love fish. Most of them who live overseas just can't do without fish and rice. They make about every vegetable with fish. So they take it everywhere. And that's what contributes to their nickname.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because people think they are always eating fish and curry or fish and rice.

Come to think of it, British people are often associated with fish and chips, but no one has ever called me fish or chips, for that matter.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's because they tend to eat a lot of fish(stereotype). You should smell what my next door neighbour cooks(she's Bengali), has a properly strong smell, though I've got no idea what it is.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    The thread title made me lol. For our non-Asian friends on TSR, it's because of the stereotype that Bengalis eat alot of fish.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People used to say in my school that Bengalis ate lots of fish so smelt of fish,and the Pakistanis were called Chapatis lool.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I work at the fish market in Glasgow and everyone with the same name as one my friends gets their second name put done as fish in my phone book. eg Davie fish
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never met a single Benguli person who has been referred to as "fish" before...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthan3)
    ive always wondered
    My Bengali acquaintances used to call me 'Icha' (the wiry fish).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerimon18)
    I've never met a single Benguli person who has been referred to as "fish" before...
    neither did i until i moved to a heavily populated asian area, that why i was wondering
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have never, ever heard this before and I'm of a Bengali background myself LOL! I guess it depends where you live and the kinds of friends you have. :dontknow: However, I guessed as soon as you asked the question that it's because it's one of the staple foods - as has been mentioned.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    There used to be a Bangladeshi girl in my secondary school and we all used to call her a 'fishy.' Lol, it was jokes. Thanks for bringing back the memories.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    reminds me of this masterpiece
Updated: June 13, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.