The Student Room Group

Ordinary degree.Help!

Hi,

I'm studying actuarial science at Cass. I just got my results and it was okay and i even got a first class in my dissertation. However, I failed a paper and instead of giving me a 2:1, the uni have decided to give me an Ordinary degree. can somebody help me, what are my options now? am i allowed to transfer my credit and oursue 1 more year to get an Hons degree? can I do my masters with my results?? Help! I'm lost!
Reply 1
It depends on your uni's policies. Ask em.
Reply 2
thats a massive jump from 2.1 to an ordinary degree why didn't they give you other classifications...
Reply 3
i asked them already and they said i cant use my credits to do another degree at Cass. I'm asking about other unis. will they accept credit transfer if i want to do another degree?

yeah i know;( i got good results accept for this one subject and my uni doesnt allow resits for final yr students, only compensation 4 credits, and i get less than 30 for this subject so im not allowed for compensation.
Horrible situation to be in! :frown:

Is there any way you can resit the year (instead of just the exam)? You might be able to transfer the credits to another institution but you'll have to ring up a few to get that answer.

I don't think you will be able to get onto a masters course, no. Any funding associated with these courses normally have a 2:1 requirement aside from any requirement the university itself may have.

Original post by jus-mi
thats a massive jump from 2.1 to an ordinary degree why didn't they give you other classifications...

It's not that uncommon - if you fail a module you don't pick up the credits for it and you normally need 360 credits to qualify for an honours degree. So if you fail a single 10 credit module and end up with 350 credits even though you have firsts in every module it's still possible to end up with an ordinary degree instead.
Reply 5
Original post by yelina22
Hi,

I'm studying actuarial science at Cass. I just got my results and it was okay and i even got a first class in my dissertation. However, I failed a paper and instead of giving me a 2:1, the uni have decided to give me an Ordinary degree. can somebody help me, what are my options now? am i allowed to transfer my credit and oursue 1 more year to get an Hons degree? can I do my masters with my results?? Help! I'm lost!

Contact them.
Reply 6
Ive contacted my uni and they wont allow me resit my paper nor my whole year. Ive ring up a few unis and all of them wont allow credit transfer. Does anybody know a uni that does? im so lost:frown:
WTF sounds so unfair i would raise hell if this hapepend to me.
Have you tried the OU?
Reply 9
i'm with Ineedaplace ....i would make a fuss from 2.1 to ordinary degree are they taking the piss only one module as well nahhhhhh i wouldn't have it...i'd literally tie myself to the building until they overturn their decision lolol
Reply 10
Original post by jus-mi
i'm with Ineedaplace ....i would make a fuss from 2.1 to ordinary degree are they taking the piss only one module as well nahhhhhh i wouldn't have it...i'd literally tie myself to the building until they overturn their decision lolol

On what grounds?

I agree it's a mare of a situation to be in, but as EierVonSatan explains, if you don't have 360 credits then you haven't qualified for a degree. It doesn't matter what the rest of the module marks were, they can't give you a degree unless you've completed sufficient credits. That will be clearly set out in your student handbook so there's no appealing against it.

I'd second the advice to try the OU
You should be able to do a resit paper to achieve a capped pass mark which will then gain you your classification.

The reason for a pass degree is that you do not have the required modules to award an honours degree, but if you appeal within 14 days of the decision and state that you wish to do the resit to gain the honours classification I can't see them denying you that opportunity - yes, it will mean that you don't graduate until later in the year, but that is a small price to pay for the difference between an ordinary and an honours degree
Reply 12
yeah but they should at least offer him to resit ....why isn't that an option?
Reply 13
i have 420 credits from 440. can i make a point to other unis that usually with these credits i'd obtain an hons degree?
Reply 14
No way would you drop from a 2.1 to a non-honours without Fails in over half the courses.
I'm afraid no other Uni will touch you when they see that.
As someone said above..Life is over.
You should be able to resit a module to 40% and get a 2.1 i think. I would make a stupid fuss and protest until they let me anyhow.
Reply 16
Original post by Ineedaplace
You should be able to resit a module to 40% and get a 2.1 i think. I would make a stupid fuss and protest until they let me anyhow.

Hi,

So sorry to hear that this has happened when you're clearly very capable- it seems ludicrous. I think that Oxford Brookes has a credit transfer system so you could try them, however I'm not sure if you'd be faced with the current fees for new students. I've been very ill and missed a lot of exams (with confirmed special circumstances) and am now being forced to take an ordinary degree too (at Edinburgh).

I hope you get this sorted, remember you can make an academic appeal, you don't have to accept whatever the progressions officer says without challenging it

xx
Reply 17
If you have not already done so, contact the university's NUS office. They may have someone there who can help lodge an academic appeal to find an acceptable solution. Did you have any mitigating circumstances? It seems a little strange that there is no mechanism to allow a retake of final year module. There is a Cass business school person on here, perhaps you could PM her to see if there are any other options for the OP.

The OP's problem may be that, many places will not allow you to transfer to complete just the outstanding credit or just the final year and award you their degree. Some might ask you to complete the second year as well as the third year. You would more than likely not be able re-use your dissertation credit if you are allowed to complete the final year at another institution. Despite having the CATS, transfers are very much at the discretion of the receiving university.

Depending on what your subject is, you could look for places that offer a 1 year BA(Hons) top up course, these are designed for people who have at least 240 credits or a HND, the top up year which includes a dissertation is 120 credits. They less likely to have the reputation of Cass, but you would get an honours degree. You could try Birkbeck, I know they have in the past accepted OU students into later years of a degree program, but not necessarily the final year.

Alternatively you could apply to an MSc or MA, you would need to explain why you were awarded an ordinary degree. But this won't help if for job purposes you need an honours degree.
Reply 18
If you are facing a credit deficit some unis allow you to take an extra course at Sumer school in order to get the full set of credits. Example is my uni Middlesex. If you have a credit deficit you are allowed to take a module but have to pay around £600. It's a 2 or 3 week intense course and allies you to graduate with a honours degree, providing you pass the module

Latest

Trending

Trending