The Student Room Group

Best advice you could give to a fresher?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Last_Melon
As long as you don't use your sexuality to make friends it wont be a problem.

Pardon??
What has visiting my boyfriend have to do with sexuality?? And why on earth would I use my sexuality to make friends??
In any case me being straight isnt exactly something to make others base their friendship on...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 101
Don't think you have to start using the words lash, pre-lash, vom, banter, lad etc. 15 times a sentence.

You're the new generation of student - let's try to create a stereotype that isn't essentially 'dickhead'
I'm on the same boat as u :smile:
Original post by Aizen101
this has all been really interesting and helpful but what about live at home students. will i be left out or have to put in even more effort
it seems most people lived on campus but what about those that did not. how did you keep up with rest, make new friends, find out about the parties and socials.

any information would be really helpful

REP FOR BEST ANSWER

Yes you will have to put in more effort, it's hard to be 'in the loop' and you may get excluded from things if you don't make extra effort. As a live at home student, you may end up with most of your friends being on your course, but that's okay, a lot of people's good friends are from their course. Personally i'm not even living with my flatmates from last year (although they're all living together this year) and i'm living with 3 of my coursemates.

My friend that i'm living with this year lived in student accommodation last year, but he lived a lot further away from where everyone else was living. It was very rare that we'd go to his place (and in your case, it would probably be even rarer that people comes to yours) so he'd always have to come to us whenever anything was being organised. A bit of a pain, but students are lazy and will just pre-drink wherever is most handy.

Notably, he would often have to ask around if anything was going on or people would just forget to invite him to things, so make sure you're keeping in contact with friends by phone/text/facebook (without being creepy) with regards to if anything's being organized. Try not to make a big deal out of living at home or anything either, they might find it offputting or something to that extent!

It's not very hard to find out about socials and things like that, the societies you join will often have a mailing list and you can make friends at the societies and get in contact with them if you feel like you want to go on a social together. Just get involved at the beginning of the year with societies and you'll make a few friends there easily enough. Sports societies are known to get people integrated through just sheer volume of alcohol consumed so.

Ultimately yes you're going to have to do a lot more to maintain your social life, but there's the cons of not living in nearby student accommodation. You'll enjoy uni as much as anyone else as long as you're friendly and approachable and if you do commit the effort and time!
Reply 104
Original post by Aidan90
because its so exciting

Spoiler

Good to hear :tongue:
Reply 105
Original post by Nidhogg_Rider
Yes you will have to put in more effort, it's hard to be 'in the loop' and you may get excluded from things if you don't make extra effort. As a live at home student, you may end up with most of your friends being on your course, but that's okay, a lot of people's good friends are from their course. Personally i'm not even living with my flatmates from last year (although they're all living together this year) and i'm living with 3 of my coursemates.

My friend that i'm living with this year lived in student accommodation last year, but he lived a lot further away from where everyone else was living. It was very rare that we'd go to his place (and in your case, it would probably be even rarer that people comes to yours) so he'd always have to come to us whenever anything was being organised. A bit of a pain, but students are lazy and will just pre-drink wherever is most handy.

Notably, he would often have to ask around if anything was going on or people would just forget to invite him to things, so make sure you're keeping in contact with friends by phone/text/facebook (without being creepy) with regards to if anything's being organized. Try not to make a big deal out of living at home or anything either, they might find it offputting or something to that extent!

It's not very hard to find out about socials and things like that, the societies you join will often have a mailing list and you can make friends at the societies and get in contact with them if you feel like you want to go on a social together. Just get involved at the beginning of the year with societies and you'll make a few friends there easily enough. Sports societies are known to get people integrated through just sheer volume of alcohol consumed so.

Ultimately yes you're going to have to do a lot more to maintain your social life, but there's the cons of not living in nearby student accommodation. You'll enjoy uni as much as anyone else as long as you're friendly and approachable and if you do commit the effort and time!

thanks bro really helpful and insightful
i will follow most of these and hope for the best i figured i would have to put in more effort but just wanted to hear it from someone else
Reply 106
From what I've heard: drink monster (lots of it).
Reply 107
Original post by JXamie
Why do ALL your full stops have a line above them? :confused:

Spoiler

They dont, i think its just you mate :s-smilie:
Original post by rachel.h
For the love of God, TAKE SOME EARPLUGS. The night WILL come when your entire flat gets everyone over for pre-drinks and a night out and all you want to do is sleep.

And, always be yourself:smile:

I prefer stink bombs.

Deafness has its benefits. :wink:
For the flu.. couldn't you have like a handgel thing. :smile:
Reply 110
Make the 100% most of it, never pass an opportunity to do something, meet as many new people as possible and just enjoy yourself the most you can.
Reply 111
Original post by I.Like.Smarties
For the flu.. couldn't you have like a handgel thing. :smile:

That's a pretty good idea actually, alcohol wipes or something, cheers :smile:
Reply 112
-Have fun.
-Don't be afraid to be yourself.
-Buy plenty of food (if you think you've bought too much, you can always cram it in the freezer!)

And most importantly remember this:

WHAT HAPPENS AT FRESHERS STAYS AT FRESHERS
Original post by bammzie
-Have fun.
-Don't be afraid to be yourself.
-Buy plenty of food (if you think you've bought too much, you can always cram it in the freezer!)

And most importantly remember this:

WHAT HAPPENS AT FRESHERS STAYS AT FRESHERS

You're allergic to tea?! :zomg: (I saw in your sig)

I honestly have no idea how you manage to... Well, just function!
Original post by skotch
- If you already know people at the same uni as you, don't hang around with them much until later in the year as you need the time to find out who your new friends are.

Rubbish. My first night I had the four people I previously knew over my flat, they all brought people from their houses, and we all got hammered together. Best bonding session ever.

OP, usual stuff sticks. Door open, don't be bossy/angry in the first week, go out and talk to people etc etc. My block of flats mainly bonded by takeaways, mutual love of alcohol, and costume parties.
Reply 115
Take advantage of all the opportunities given to you. Most of my favourite memories of first year are things I did which I'd never have done if I'd followed my 'it'll be too difficult' or 'I've never done that before'
Don't worry about what people will think of you - it became obvious to me that the majority of my flatmates didn't understand why I joined some of the societies I did - they were more interested in going out drinking all the time whereas as much as I enjoy that, I had other things I wanted to do, and I'm so glad I did them. I got to meet amazing people and do amazing things through getting stuck in and taking all the chances that came my way.
People say you can reinvent yourself at university but I don't think this is really possible. You might be able to for the first few weeks but you will look a dick later on when you have been there a while and can't keep it up. If you find you haven't really made friends with anyone in freshers week don't panic, there are thousands of people at uni and you're bound to find someone with similar interests that you really get on with. Just don't try and change for anyone. Be yourself; perhaps if you're shy make a bit more effort to get to know people though in freshers week. Having a drink or two usually helps you become more talkative.
Original post by Pheebs1201
Well, I'll try my best and let you know how it goes :wink:

Trust me that guy gave you sound advice haha. If you plan to go out during Fresher's week you WILL get fresher's flu. It's unavoidable.

But don't be a like me and refuse to buy lem sip because it's too expensive. Had that bugger until Christmas. So trust me, bring supplies. Also handy are plasters for blisters and paracetomol for hangovers.

On a general note to everyone:

1) Get to meet as many people as you can, no matter the circumstance
2) Don't be afraid to approach a random
3) Bring colourful sharpies to decorate t-shirts/yourself with on nights out
4) Know your limits and don't have a one night stand (some people will dispute that last one but people get labels very quickly and the potential for it to backfire (aka you end up knowing everyone they know) is perfectly possible)
5) Bring personable things with you to make you feel at home - and plenty of blu-tack to stick posters/photos up
6) Take a walk around campus and try to get to grips with where everything is. Don't want to be running around at 9:00 am on a Monday morning with no clue where you're going.
7) Use different writing pads for different modules; I didn't and trying to find references in my notes was a nightmare
8) Go to taster sessions for societies before signing up to them as that gets expensive very quickly
9) You will spend a bomb in Fresher's week especially so keep a diary of finances
10)Go wild!

There are plenty more but I'm assuming that they've been covered at some point...
Reply 118
Might have been said already, but leave the unpacking for a while. You should only need clean clothes, hygiene stuff, and money/I.D for the first few days.

I didn't even bother turning my laptop on until maybe the fourth night, and just added new people to Facebook over my phone if necessary.

Also make sure you get loads of phone numbers of any one you even slightly get on with, so you can text around each day and find out if any parties are happening that night.
Original post by roarbanana
I'm genuinely terrified at the prospect of starting at university and especially the idea of the first couple of weeks. What piece of advice would you give to someone just about to start uni? For example, should you go out the first night or unpack and settle in? Should you bring food with you? Should you throw yourself into meeting people or let it happen naturally? All thoughts and snippets of advice are appreciated :smile:

Some good advice so far!

Also, pace yourself with the drinking, its not worth getting trashed in the first day and forgetting everyones names/feeling ill/being poor when you got the rest of the week. And do not be afraid to say hi, even to people who appear to have already made 'groups'

and bring a bag a cookies and knock on peoples doors and offer it to them =)

Quick Reply

Latest