The Student Room Group

Best advice you could give to a fresher?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Bring an offering of food, even if its a bag of haribo, so you have something to eat whilst you talk. I was lucky in that we all arived at roughly the same time and unpacked and then all went to the kitchen to get to know eachother.

Make sure you go out as much as possible during freshers, even if its not to clubs for the first 7 days, even a trip to the pub to get to know people on your course/societies/flatmates mates etc.

And dont panic if you havn't made any serious friends on your course in the first few weeks. I honestly have no idea how it happened but I went from not knowing that many people to being in a soial circle that included a good portion of my course. Things just slot into place ( just dont panic if they dont seem to be immediatly after freshers)
Reply 121
So excited to start uni in sept!

Only thing is I will be 17 :frown: Will still get into union but will miss out in going out off campus!
Original post by roarbanana
Does freshers week have different events each night on offer or is there just one per night? Because I don't like clubbing much but I don't want to stay in all day

I'm assuming its the same at all unis, but Im at Exeter so we have some of the most active socities in the UK so we might have more than most.

Regardless, yes, there are multiple events in the afternoon, evening and night. And some religious societies (and others) do morning stuff as well.
But yeah, you'll be sweft off your feet with choice (hopefully!)
Every time you meet a girl, greet them with..
" How you dooiiiiiinnnn":cool:
Original post by Jayne
So excited to start uni in sept!

Only thing is I will be 17 :frown: Will still get into union but will miss out in going out off campus!

How come you'll be 17 and not 18? Thought you had to be 18? :s-smilie:
Reply 125
Original post by emilym94

If you get moved up a year whilst at school, then when you finish year 13 you're still 17 - at least this was the case with a guy at my high school, maybe this person is different...Either way, there isn't an age limit on universities, only qualifications are needed - there have been child prodigies as young as 9 that have gone in the past.
Reply 126

My birthday isnt untill Feburary so I was like nearly a year younger than everyone in my year. I just made the cut-off date for my year . :biggrin:
Don't sleep with someone in your year on your course, especially if you're on a small course, unless you intend to get into a more than casual relationship with them (and I still wouldn't hugely recommend it then). You will quite literally never hear the end of it.

And get some well fitting ear plugs, plus a spare pair for when you drop them down the side of your bed and they get covered in dust.
A lot of people have mentioned clubbing and partying...what if you don't like that? I really, really hate clubbing! Will I ostracise myself from others?
Reply 129
buy a mouse mat.
Reply 130
Original post by MusingsOfSmudge
A lot of people have mentioned clubbing and partying...what if you don't like that? I really, really hate clubbing! Will I ostracise myself from others?

Of course not!
The week or so may be tricky though as I found that as Freshers was very much alcohol and clubbing orientated however as things settle down, you WILL meet many likeminded people through societies, your course and your accommodation. There will be manyyy people there with similar interests to you! My Freshers seemed only to organise clubbing events but plenty of my friends had non alcohol related activities planned for their Freshers!

Force yourself to go out in Freshers, though. Even if clubbing isn't your thing, you will still meet plenty of people. :h:
Reply 131
Original post by liamcol123
You're allergic to tea?! :zomg: (I saw in your sig)

I honestly have no idea how you manage to... Well, just function!

Hahaa! yep, gives me awful tummy ache.
I can drink fruit teas (since they have less tannin) and I'm a coffee fiend, so I function fine.

Does make "now let's all calm down and have a cup of tea" moments rather fun though :ahee:
Original post by piya21
If you get moved up a year whilst at school, then when you finish year 13 you're still 17 - at least this was the case with a guy at my high school, maybe this person is different...Either way, there isn't an age limit on universities, only qualifications are needed - there have been child prodigies as young as 9 that have gone in the past.

Original post by Jayne
My birthday isnt untill Feburary so I was like nearly a year younger than everyone in my year. I just made the cut-off date for my year . :biggrin:

Fair enough! Just wondered. :smile:
Reply 133

A lot of Scottish students start Uni at 17 too
Original post by Pheebs1201
I think I might have to give freshers flu a miss- I already suffer from M.E so I'd probably be dead by the end of that lol! But thanks for the advice.

Same. Although I think I've had the flu/a cold the whole of August so far anyway, so I'll be lucky if that wears off by uni.. :rolleyes:

I have medication in the way of tablets that should cover most things (flu, headaches, tummyaches, etc) but are there any other ways to prevent it? Does the hand sanitiser idea actually work?
Reply 135
Original post by ScarletBeads
Same. Although I think I've had the flu/a cold the whole of August so far anyway, so I'll be lucky if that wears off by uni.. :rolleyes:

I have medication in the way of tablets that should cover most things (flu, headaches, tummyaches, etc) but are there any other ways to prevent it? Does the hand sanitiser idea actually work?

The hand sanitiser idea should help a little bit, but inspite of the name, it's not flu per se it's feeling grotty exhaustion from over doing it in freshers week/fortnight. That's not to say don't enjoy it, but suggest a movie night or something where you have a few quiet drinks with your flatmates. Also, try and get some sleep, ie don't be going out until 4am and then getting up stupidly early.
Original post by Ineluctable
Premarital sex and masturbation are both sinful, I really don't know why you are glorifying them

because both feel really, really good.
Be yourself and enjoy yourself, first and foremost.

But do put in work for first year, as others have said, it might not count towards your final degree, but it will be built on in further years. Also, if you're a languages student, the uni look at first year results to help sort out your year abroad, so the better the grade, the better the options.

Also, be aware that Freshers' Flu can be late. I got mine mid- late October, after all the freshers stuff had calmed down.
Reply 138
I thought I might bump this for incoming freshers :smile:
Reply 139
When you go to university - it is likely that you will be immersed into the largest group of people your own age that you have ever been amongst. Don't go seeking just the clubs, societies and cliques full of the type of people you hung around with at highschool. Of course be yourself but also take the opportunity to mix a bit more widely and try new activites and lifestyles and learn to mix well with all sorts of people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending