The Student Room Group

If you get a B or a low A grade in your AS Level Maths, is an A* possible overall?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tiffster
aah ok thanks! I think i get it now.

Btw, do you know whether it is possible to reapply to the Universities with the higher entry grade requirements if i actually got a higher grade than my predicted grades in A level?

Yes, this is possible, if you exceed your firm requirements then UCAS "adjustment" comes up and you can apply for any other universities whilst your firm offer will be on hold, for about a week or so, providing the course has a space or something like that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by tiffster
thanks. Do you know the UCAS policy, say i got predicted an A grade for A level Maths but actually got an A*, are there any ways to "Re-apply" to unis of those higher entry requirements provided i met them, but the teachers didn't think i could, when in fact i did?
does that make sense?

There is adjustment which you can register for if you exceed the conditions of your firm choice. I didn't use it myself but I think you have three days from the time your firm changes to unconditional. You then ring the universities that you're interested in (I think you get a passport similar to that you'd get in clearing) and ask if they have any places left and whether they'd accept you as an adjustment applicant. You keep your original firm offer if an adjustment offer is not confirmed inside the time frame that UCAS give you. Bear in mind if you manage to get an offer in adjustment that you have to get accommodation sorted out if you're not commuting or living at home. That could prove difficult approaching the end of August.

The issue would be whether the courses that you'd want to adjust into have places left. If not and you really want to apply for them then you're free to withdraw from UCAS for the cycle you're in and apply in the next one. Obviously that's a risk as you're not guaranteed offers, even from your firm in the current cycle, but you're free to take that course of action if that's what you want to do.
Reply 22
Original post by Kim-x
There is adjustment which you can register for if you exceed the conditions of your firm choice. I didn't use it myself but I think you have three days from the time your firm changes to unconditional. You then ring the universities that you're interested in (I think you get a passport similar to that you'd get in clearing) and ask if they have any places left and whether they'd accept you as an adjustment applicant. You keep your original firm offer if an adjustment offer is not confirmed inside the time frame that UCAS give you. Bear in mind if you manage to get an offer in adjustment that you have to get accommodation sorted out if you're not commuting or living at home. That could prove difficult approaching the end of August.

The issue would be whether the courses that you'd want to adjust into have places left. If not and you really want to apply for them then you're free to withdraw from UCAS for the cycle you're in and apply in the next one. Obviously that's a risk as you're not guaranteed offers, even from your firm in the current cycle, but you're free to take that course of action if that's what you want to do.

oh ok thanks, that was really nicely explained

Quick Reply

Latest