The Student Room Group

Should I take 5 A-Levels????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mohamedomar
I think this is a very unfair assumption on your side. For all you know he is a particularly gifted mathematician. Just giving my tuppence :smile:

Yeah you're probably right. Guess I was just in a bad mood :colondollar:
There's no point taking five because your parents want you to, take five because you want to.
Original post by A level Az
You have no basis on which to say that you're quite the mathematician. Literally nothing you have done in your life allows to you make that assumption, unless you've won some kind of award. I can see you struggling to cope with Further Mathematics and Chemistry, as you clearly underestimate the amount of time and effort required to get good grades at A level, and this is reinforced by your desire to not wanting to be too stressed or have a life. It's a joke.

Why would he struggle with fm and chem? Its not like you have to work 24-7 to do good in them. Regarding time and effort, do you really think you need that much of each, 2yrs is ages.
Original post by arob752
Why would he struggle with fm and chem? Its not like you have to work 24-7 to do good in them. Regarding time and effort, do you really think you need that much of each, 2yrs is ages.

Well the OP is taking 5 A levels, so it does take quite a lot of your time, and Further Mathematics/Chemistry are considered some of the hardest A levels you can do. All I'm saying is don't underestimate the work required. He's clearly basing this on his achievements at GCSE, which he shouldn't, because it's a massive step up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well the OP is taking 5 A levels, so it does take quite a lot of your time, and Further Mathematics/Chemistry are considered some of the hardest A levels you can do. All I'm saying is don't underestimate the work required. He's clearly basing this on his achievements at GCSE, which he shouldn't, because it's a massive step up.

Have you done these a levels by the way, because i have and you seem to be overstating the workload.
Original post by arob752
Have you done these a levels by the way, because i have and you seem to be overstating the workload.

Yeah I have (Maths, FM, English Lit, Chemistry and AS Physics) and if you think I'm "overstating the workload" then fine, but you're not doing the OP any favours in boosting his ego, as all he has done is GCSE so far, which requires only a fraction of the effort you need for A levels, especially these ones. You can act like it was a breeze but you're not impressing anyone on these cynical forums, least of all me.
Yeah I have (Maths, FM, English Lit, Chemistry and AS Physics) and if you think I'm "overstating the workload" then fine, but you're not doing the OP any favours in boosting his ego, as all he has done is GCSE so far, which requires only a fraction of the effort you need for A levels, especially these ones. You can act like it was a breeze but you're not impressing anyone on these cynical forums, least of all me.

I just dont understand why your trying to put someone off making the most out of available alevels.

-ve rating by me btw:biggrin:

AS physics, i see you couldnt hack the 5, making you cynical
This is exactly like my borther! He has just finshed his A-levels. He did Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Computing at Aquinas in Stockport, and dropped Chemistry after AS. He found doing these subjects manegable and is now going to Loughborough to do Aeronautical Engineering :smile: So I say if you wanna do five, do five, you can always drop one!
My advice would be to not do it. You're obviously intelligent, so would it not be better to do the usual 3 A-levels and get fantastic grades, rather than do 5 and get mediocre grades? Most universities ask for (example) AAA or AAB etc from THREE A-levels, so your other 2 might as well not have been taken. You should not be under the impression that more A-levels means you have a better chance of getting into university, because in about 99% of cases, it's doesn't improve your chances.
Original post by Rohaan
Hi
basically i just did my GCSE exams and im just waiting on my results. Until then i have a difficult decision to make. I have to decide whether i want to take 5 A-Levels.

I was thinking of First taking Physics, Maths Mechanics, Chemistry and Computing. Now the complication is i spoke to my friend and parents and they reckon i should take 5 if i can. The fifth would be Further Maths as im quite the mathematician. Even my teacher was trying to push me to drop chemistry and do further maths instead but i wanted to keep my options open.

As far as Uni goes, i dont know what i want to do yet but it will be engineering or computer related. I wanted to take the first four because they all spoke to each other.

Now i was wondering how hard is it exactly to do five A Levels? I am willing to put in the hard work and get the best i can. But I dont want it to be too much pressure. I want a life as well. Can someone help please?? Thankyou i'm really stressing over this :smile:

Yes you can! I did 24 units for my as and a levels and it went well. :biggrin:
Reply 50
dont drop chemistry. its a really good A level. better than further maths i think cos you've already got maths so taking further maths wouldnt really widen your options that much.
Original post by somaiyar
If you can cope, go for it, but then again once you get to AS levels you will find out how difficult they are, even an AS level is about the same volume of work as 5/6 GCSEs, take the 5 for a term and then see how it goes, because you can always drop one, but the thing is uni's know that the vast majority of people only offer 3 a levels, so they will only give youe an offer based on 3 or 4, but if you can get 5 top grades, then I dont see the harm

That is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have heard. I am taking 3 subjects and although they are harder, I had a lot more work when doing GCSE's. At AS level there is less work than at GCSE - it is just harder.
Reply 52
OP, what are you taking? If you can cope with it, then go for it! I'm taking 5 :smile:

btw, does anyone know the results day for a-levels and GCSE?
Original post by arob752
I just dont understand why your trying to put someone off making the most out of available alevels.

-ve rating by me btw:biggrin:

AS physics, i see you couldnt hack the 5, making you cynical

OP sounds arrogant, I was merely trying to say that it's not as easy as he seems to think. You may think differently, but that's the way forums work, and in all honesty I don't really care what you think.

And I learned AS physics in two weeks (the week before each exam) as I had a late entry for them because my whole situation wasn't really under normal circumstances, so clearly you have no idea and your assumption would be incorrect.

And I don't really care about negs; it doesn't mean anything really, especially from someone who childishly declares their neg, like it's supposed to inflict some kind of emotional pain :smile:
Original post by 24DJF
OP, what are you taking? If you can cope with it, then go for it! I'm taking 5 :smile:

btw, does anyone know the results day for a-levels and GCSE?

GCSE is 25 August, I think A levels is the 17 august although I'm not sure :smile:
Should I do History, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and F.Maths at AS Level or the same without F.Maths? Thanks.
I took 5 A levels and really regret doing it now. I had over double the amount of exams as friends and the workload was huge. I'm not saying this to put you off but I thought it might help to know some of the realities of the situation. At the end of the day it is your choice and you have to do what you think is right for you. Good luck :smile:
Reply 57
I've almost finished my first year of AS's, taking: Further maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology and hopefully going to study mechanical engineering at university.
For engineering, further maths makes the first few years a lot easier so it is fairly essential (and looks good on UCAS), but for computer science/computing, it's not as essential.

5 A Levels is pretty tough, especially if you still want to have a life outside of school :tongue:. If you find the workload easy to begin with, then you should be fine, but you could always drop the further maths perhaps, at the beginning of term if you find that you are struggling.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by AspiringGenius
GCSE is 25 August, I think A levels is the 17 august although I'm not sure :smile:

thank you!
I have the same problem, I'm considering 5 AS levels as well. :\

Quick Reply

Latest