The Student Room Group

Which of these degrees is more respected and has better job prospects?

I am considering studying one of the following subjects at university, and I am aiming for the top unis, possibly oxbridge depending on my AS grades, but otherwise I am looking at places like Durham, Warwick, Bristol, etc. Supposing I did really well and got a 2:1 (or even a first, I can always hope :smile: ) which of these would be more respected in the job world:

History
Psychology
Archaeology

Thankyou :smile:

Scroll to see replies

History !!
Reply 2
You have the same interests as me :smile: I think perhaps history but it depends on the job you want to go for
Reply 3
I think they'd be regarded in the order posted, History highest.
From looking at those I would say History mainly because of its diversity with job opportunities. The universities you listed are extremely good universities and if you got a 2:1, or as you said, even a first, then the future is a bright one for you.
Reply 5
Original post by RamsFanNo1
From looking at those I would say History mainly because of its diversity with job opportunities. The universities you listed are extremely good universities and if you got a 2:1, or as you said, even a first, then the future is a bright one for you.

Do you think that if i got a good degree from one of the top unis it would matter too much if the subject is usually not so well respected, for example I know psychology is a very popular course and is sometimes seen as a bit of a soft subject but i am genuinely interested in it.
History? What jobs can you get out of that? :confused:
Psychology out of those probably...
Reply 7
Original post by mikeylfc1989

That's what I thought too :confused:

Apparently, I'm missing something here...:s-smilie:
Reply 8

Original post by jjo92

You two are idiots...
Original post by bestofyou
You two are idiots...

How so? I'm not saying history isn't respected and it won't help at all.
It's just not as generalisable as Psychology nor does it offer any decent prospects if you wish to continue studying.
Original post by jjo92

The mind boggles...
History
Reply 12
You two are idiots...

Wow. Name-calling. So smart.

And I'm definitely not putting History down...my mum's a History major and she's doing great. I just figured that psychology was more lucrative :shrug:
Original post by moleman3
Do you think that if i got a good degree from one of the top unis it would matter too much if the subject is usually not so well respected, for example I know psychology is a very popular course and is sometimes seen as a bit of a soft subject but i am genuinely interested in it.

Well nearly all subjects at university (by nearly all I mean we shall exclude the likes of the David Beckham degree, Lady Gaga degree etc) are useful in allowing you to develop crucial skills which will not only help you with job prospects for when you graduate, but skills which can help you with just about anything which may occur in future life. I am not however saying that any degree will be ultimately useful to you and picking the right degree is a harder task then some may think. Doing well in a a particular degree is having a passion for the subject you are taking and enjoying what you are doing. Unfortunately I know of far too many people who didn't have this and either had to changes subjects, leave or at the end of it failed (or didn't achieve what they hoped for). That is why I beg of you to choose a subject based on this and not so much on job prospects. This website may give you a little help http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_with_your_subject.htm
I know many people consider Psychology to be a "soft" subjects, but I feel when talking about degrees the word soft is used too often and not with a real backing and understanding. I know Psycohology students and they certainly do not feel the subject is soft.
Can I ask what you would like to do when you graduate?
How so? I'm not saying history isn't respected and it won't help at all.
It's just not as generalisable as Psychology nor does it offer any decent prospects if you wish to continue studying.

^^This is why...

History is one of the best degrees you can take for a wide range of job prospects. It's probably more benifical than psychology. I guess your the person who thinks everyone with a history degree ends up on an episode of time team, teaching or in a museum...
I'd say psychology.
Reply 16
Original post by RamsFanNo1
Well nearly all subjects at university (by nearly all I mean we shall exclude the likes of the David Beckham degree, Lady Gaga degree etc) are useful in allowing you to develop crucial skills which will not only help you with job prospects for when you graduate, but skills which can help you with just about anything which may occur in future life. I am not however saying that any degree will be ultimately useful to you and picking the right degree is a harder task then some may think. Doing well in a a particular degree is having a passion for the subject you are taking and enjoying what you are doing. Unfortunately I know of far too many people who didn't have this and either had to changes subjects, leave or at the end of it failed (or didn't achieve what they hoped for). That is why I beg of you to choose a subject based on this and not so much on job prospects. This website may give you a little help http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_with_your_subject.htm
I know many people consider Psychology to be a "soft" subjects, but I feel when talking about degrees the word soft is used too often and not with a real backing and understanding. I know Psycohology students and they certainly do not feel the subject is soft.
Can I ask what you would like to do when you graduate?

I'm not entirely sure yet. I'd like to work with children so maybe a child psychologist or a primary school teacher (though i'm slightly put off by the pay), but I'm also quite interested in politics and the UN. I quite fancy the idea of being a barrister, but I'm not certain :smile:
^^This is why...

History is one of the best degrees you can take for a wide range of job prospects. It's probably more benifical than psychology
. I guess your the person who thinks everyone with a history degree ends up on an episode of time team, teaching or in a museum...

Debatable. Stats involved in Psychology probably edges it for me...
Even so, Clinical Psychologist can earn up to 80k. You don't get that in History.

Could also go into Graduate Medicine after a Psychology degree if you wanted to. A lot of people in this thread, including yourself, have proven themselves to be clueless.
This is so subjective, each subject has its own merits depending on what you want to do after uni. Whether one of them is a "soft" subject or not, History will be useless if you want to be a Psychologist, but if you want to be an archeologist (specifically) then Archaelogy is probably best, followed by History.

We may be able to say "well History is the most broad subject" but odds are that the OP will generally know what they want to do as a job before going to university, because although you don't have to take a subject in that field, most people pick along the lines of their possible career, so it all depends on what OP wants from after university.
Original post by moleman3
I'm not entirely sure yet. I'd like to work with children so maybe a child psychologist or a primary school teacher (though i'm slightly put off by the pay), but I'm also quite interested in politics and the UN. I quite fancy the idea of being a barrister, but I'm not certain :smile:

Hmm so you're a tough nut aye. Well if a barrister sounds like a good job, then may I ask why a Law degree is not one of your choices? I mean if you want to be a child psychologist then the psychology is a definate good choice, however based on the fact that you said you are interested in politics and the UN then I would still have to say that a History degree may be better suited for you because as I said in a previous post, it offers such a diversity in job prospects.
Another question I would like to aks is what A levels did you/are you taking?

Latest