Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I buy my own car?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Car insurance is cheap enough for you right now. cos your a girl, you get huge discounts for being girl on car insurance! so ****ing annoying. when you say its to expensive i hope your talking about £5,000 + not £2000
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Insurance will kill your pocket. Drive your mums car (carefully..), gain experience, buy a 4 door saloon (1.6 petrol or 1.9 tdi, vw bora, bmw e36, seat toledo, volvo s40 etc) in a year and than insure it for less than you would a 206.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    im 19 and to add myself to my dads car as a named driver would cost £900 for a year. i know i wont get a NCB but if i wait a year the insurance for a car of my own will go down from about £2500 to about £1000 with my own policy, so tbh its completely unaffordable for people under the age of say 18 to run a car.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachlovesRog)
    Hi

I will be 17 in 6 months and I was wondering whether I should buy my own car or share my mum's?
    The main problem with buying my own is money - insurance would be very expensive and then there's everything else. I think I could probably just about afford it with a Peugeot 206 but I would have very little other savings.
    The alternative is to share my mum's car - much cheaper insurance and then I could build up a no-claims discount and then maybe buy my own in a couple of years.

I would like to hear your views on the subject
    Thanks!
    If you share your mums car, it may be the cheaper option but it isnt always cheaper as you might think. For example, this year my insurance was £660 (my own policy, 1 years no claims, fully comp) but i got a quote for if i was a named driver on my mums car, and it came out as £1200!!
    And with no claims discount, obviously you get no claims on your own policy, but if your a named driver, you dont get no claims. Some companies do it, but you would only get the no claims if you stayed with the same company.
    I know what you mean about running a car being expensive though.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get your own.
    Asking "can I use the car" all the time must be a ball ache.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious?????? Your really stupid! BUY YOUR OWN CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! AND PAY FOR THE INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!CHEAPSKATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET A JOB IN SAINSBURYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Buy your own car, but wait til youve passed your test.

For now, get insured with Collingwood or Provisional marmalade on your mums car, its fairly cheap. Then buy your own when you have a full licence.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get your own or save up at get it for when you go to uni cause if your gunna go there and back to Cardiff everyday then it'll be easier to drive a car than catch buses. Your grandma will probs help you out money wise and you always have your silver. But if you don't want to use your silver can't be that important to you to get a car lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jen Hawkins)
    Get your own or save up at get it for when you go to uni cause if your gunna go there and back to Cardiff everyday then it'll be easier to drive a car than catch buses. Your grandma will probs help you out money wise and you always have your silver. But if you don't want to use your silver can't be that important to you to get a car lol
    Mate this thread is like a year old now, why are you posting?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PataynaRolaay)
    Mate this thread is like a year old now, why are you posting?
    Didn't notice tbh and thought I'd post cause Rachel still doesn't know if she's gunna buy a car..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No worries

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.