The Student Room Group

(Oxbridge maths) Which books to read?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 21

Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked over this book, by Victor Bryant, and also over the book by Martin Liebeck.

I am going to return David Stirling's book and buy Martin Liebeck's "Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics".
I think Liebeck's book is a good fit for my personal statement and also includes really excellent content.

However, I would like to buy also something for myself, which does not return zero results for search on "Cauchy" or "Weierstrass". In this respect, also something to continue with the topic on pure mathematics.

Original post by DFranklin
Actually, I recommend you put down that you enjoyed Modern Graph Theory by Bollobas, but you found the exercises a bit too straightforward. They'll believe you, honest.

If they ask you about Graph Theory in the interview, tell them the graph of x2exp(1/x2)sin(1/x)x^2\exp(-1/x^2) \sin(1/x) has always been one of your favourites. I guarantee they'll be impressed by how smooth you are.

DFranklin, as I've noticed, you have graduated from Cambridge, and are well-informed. I will really appreciate your opinion on the book "A Course of Pure Mathematics" (click here).

It is written by Hardy and have a foreword by Tom Korner (the last edition), but I couldn't find any information about it in the Department of Pure Maths at Cam. It is quite an old one, so I assume you may had encountered it during the time in Cambridge (or before that). Thank you in advance.
Original post by gff
DFranklin, as I've noticed, you have graduated from Cambridge, and are well-informed. I will really appreciate your opinion on the book "A Course of Pure Mathematics" (click here).

It is written by Hardy and have a foreword by Tom Korner (the last edition), but I couldn't find any information about it in the Department of Pure Maths at Cam. It is quite an old one, so I assume you may had encountered it during the time in Cambridge (or before that). Thank you in advance.
I've never read it. I do have a copy of Hardy and Wright (which is about Number Theory), and I also have a copy of Modern Analysis by Whittaker + Watson (which was the 'standard text' when Hardy himself was a student).

Based on those, my guess is ACoPM will be quite hard going compared to more modern books. It might be good to have as an undergraduate, but for personal study before university, I suspect there are better choices.

(But that is, obviously, a fairly uninformed opinion, seeing as I haven't actually read it).
Reply 23
Original post by DFranklin
I've never read it. I do have a copy of Hardy and Wright (which is about Number Theory), and I also have a copy of Modern Analysis by Whittaker + Watson (which was the 'standard text' when Hardy himself was a student).

Based on those, my guess is ACoPM will be quite hard going compared to more modern books. It might be good to have as an undergraduate, but for personal study before university, I suspect there are better choices.

(But that is, obviously, a fairly uninformed opinion, seeing as I haven't actually read it).

I have a copy (along with a few other titles in the CML series) which I delve into (infrequently!) out of interest when I'm inclined to look at how maths was taught in days gone by!

It's not quite as impenetrable as Whittaker and Watson, but is certainly heavy going for the modern student (and me!) and is, as you suggest, better suited as a companion volume when at Uni rather than as a self-study guide. There is certainly none of the hand-holding you get in modern texts, nor answers to any of the exercises. The fact that numerous questions were drawn from Maths Tripos period 1899-1935 should act as a fair warning - even though things change slowly at Cambridge(!), the focus of the Tripos has changed somewhat and it would be possible to spend a lot of time working on Hardy's text without necessarily gaining the "right" skills for a modern approach to analysis.

By all means get it on the basis that it is a "classic" text, but don't expect to find it "inspiring"!

Quick Reply

Latest