Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Level Subjects for Medicine/Pharmacy

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have just finished my GCSE's and preparing for AS Levels.
    For A Level I have chosen to study:

Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Art

I am undecided on what career to go into yet but have narrowed it down to architecture, engineering or medicine/pharmacy.
    My question is, are the subjects I'm taking leaving my options open to go into medicine or pharmacy or is there a better combination of subjects I should take, without hampering the chance of studying architecture or engineering at university?

All advice is welcome.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quinny94)
    Hi,
    I have just finished my GCSE's and preparing for AS Levels.
    For A Level I have chosen to study:

Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Art

I am undecided on what career to go into yet but have narrowed it down to architecture, engineering or medicine/pharmacy.
    My question is, are the subjects I'm taking leaving my options open to go into medicine or pharmacy or is there a better combination of subjects I should take, without hampering the chance of studying architecture or engineering at university?

All advice is welcome.
    I think it depends on what Uni you're applying to. I know that Chemistry is a must when it comes to medicine and Pharmacy, I think some of them would favour biology over physics but its worth looking that up. At my Uni ( Medway) I don't think Biology is essential though. The combination of subjects you've chosen is good though.

Good luck
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that is acceptable
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    I think it depends on what Uni you're applying to. I know that Chemistry is a must when it comes to medicine and Pharmacy, I think some of them would favour biology over physics but its worth looking that up. At my Uni ( Medway) I don't think Biology is essential though. The combination of subjects you've chosen is good though.

Good luck
    Yeah I've seen biology is required at some uni's but I don't want to drop any of my other subjects as I need them, and prefer them to biology
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Drop art... no need for it... if you want to do four, change it to biology... infact biology is more important than physics.

(Although I got into medicine without biology, but it limited my options of unis that i could apply to)
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, you need chemistry and you've got that. But the thing is, a lot of universities really want biology as well and almost all medical, pharmaceutical applicants have bio-chem, so really, taking physics/ art would disadvantage you, granted they do say chemistry and 1 or 2 other sciences or maths but they do prefer biology :holmes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    massively different careers!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For pharmacy or medicine I would swap physics for biology. If you want to keep physics then you should do biology instead of art.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAAirz)
    Drop art... no need for it... if you want to do four, change it to biology... infact biology is more important than physics.

(Although I got into medicine without biology, but it limited my options of unis that i could apply to)
    For architecture you are required to provide a portfolio of recent art work at interview and I do really enjoy art. I am worst at Biology of the sciences and need physics for engineering.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    massively different careers!
    I know! Hopefully after doing work experience at an architect in a couple of weeks I will have a better idea of what I want to do
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahpadt)
    For pharmacy or medicine I would swap physics for biology. If you want to keep physics then you should do biology instead of art.
    The only subject I would consider dropping is art, if I decide against architecture. I have also thought about the idea of doing AS Biology alongside 3 A2 subjects in year 13
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lambi-judai)
    You're going to really limit yourself to the universities you can apply to if you decide you want to do medicine and haven't done biology.
    really, where requires biology in addition to chemistry?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd have thought you can take a portfolio and apply for architecture without doing Art, assuming you're willing to do the work on it. I've just had a very quick google and checked 3-4 university pages - generally a 'good' portfolio and X UCAS points are required, with no subjects specified. Check out places you think you might like to go but you can probably leave yourself open to apply for it without limiting your choices through med/pharm/engineering

You can do medicine without Biology but you're limiting yourself to the schools you can apply for. You'd ideally need to take it to AS for most places iirc.

(Med School A-level Requirements is probably a good article to check things by. I'd imagine you'd want to check which ones use UKCAT as well, as you'd probably want a mix of those that do and don't.)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lambi-judai)
    You're going to really limit yourself to the universities you can apply to if you decide you want to do medicine and haven't done biology.
    I know this and may take AS biology in y13. Is biology also desirable for pharmacy, or should I be okay with chemistry, maths and physics?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    I'd have thought you can take a portfolio and apply for architecture without doing Art, assuming you're willing to do the work on it. I've just had a very quick google and checked 3-4 university pages - generally a 'good' portfolio and X UCAS points are required, with no subjects specified. Check out places you think you might like to go but you can probably leave yourself open to apply for it without limiting your choices through med/pharm/engineering

You can do medicine without Biology but you're limiting yourself to the schools you can apply for. You'd ideally need to take it to AS for most places iirc.
    Thanks thats really helpful!
    It would be a shame not to do art though as it has always been my favourite and one of my best subjects
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd totally recommend biology, especially if you do decide on medicine - it may not be required at all unis but it'll help you much more than physics or art will in terms of content.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Maths or Physics (or both)
    If not both Maths and Physics, one other academically rigorous, traditional subject would be best.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quinny94)
    Yeah I've seen biology is required at some uni's but I don't want to drop any of my other subjects as I need them, and prefer them to biology
    Ok, at my Uni you dont have to do Biology instead there is a Foundation course in Pharmacy which is two years and covers A Level Biology, after completing that you can fast track onto the actual MPharm Pharmacy course into second year, its what I did because my chemistry A Level grade wasn't good enough.
    It's an extra year ( as Pharmacy is 4 years but doing foundation will mean 5 years) but I don't regret doing the foundation course because we got a lot of work placement experience which other students who don't do foundation don't get.

You can always have that as a back up if you can't find anywhere else
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Ok, at my Uni you dont have to do Biology instead there is a Foundation course in Pharmacy which is two years and covers A Level Biology, after completing that you can fast track onto the actual MPharm Pharmacy course into second year, its what I did because my chemistry A Level grade wasn't good enough.
    It's an extra year ( as Pharmacy is 4 years but doing foundation will mean 5 years) but I don't regret doing the foundation course because we got a lot of work placement experience which other students who don't do foundation don't get.

You can always have that as a back up if you can't find anywhere else
    Thanks that really helpful!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vertigo.0012)
    I'd totally recommend biology, especially if you do decide on medicine - it may not be required at all unis but it'll help you much more than physics or art will in terms of content.
    I definately want to keep physics for engineering, so it is between art and biology, depending on what I decide to do.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.