The Student Room Group

My 10 most overrated films ever

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
I see what you mean with avatar. i thought it was a little over-hyped.

completley disagree with you on Wall-e and princess mononoke though.
Original post by y2k1
Moon
Donnie Darko
Terminator 2
Toy Story (esp 2+3)
Inception
The Dark Knight

You like Toy Story and not Wall-e? Hypocrisy, thy name is troll.
Go on... neg me. It only makes me stronger.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 079
The Notebook, srsly wtf, when I finally watched it after hearing soo many good things about it, I just thought it was OK, theres so many movies like those in bollywood I guess I wasnt blown away for that reason...and it was so predictable..

and the other one which soo many people love, and which I found OK: (everyones gonna hate me for this) Shawshank Redemption...

But, but, but :cry2: it's The Notebook! I do see where you are coming from though :tongue: I'm a massive Ryan Gosling fan and it's the best cheese fest ever! It's my favourite film that I can watch over and over and over again without being bored of it :colondollar:

For me it has to be Avatar :yes:
mean girls is so over rated
Original post by worriedalot
mean girls is so over rated

Boo, you whore.

I thought Avatar was a pile of crap when I first watched it. My opinion still stands. It didn't even deserve a Best Picture nom. But The Godfather? Blasphemy! :mob:
James cameron should be ashamed.I found Avatar so bad :frown: so bad that parts of it that were supposed to be dead serious made me laugh so hard I cried,like when the blue people were all swaying to the tree of life thing and connecting their ponytail things to other animals(which was very alarming:O).also very unoriginal,the basic premise aka being against other cultures then getting attached to one of them then thinking they arent so bad has been done before(although admittedly not with blue people!). I found the south park episode taking the piss out of avatar hilarious and true-it is basically dancing with smurfs. learning that its the highest grossing film of all time made me lose faith in humanity:frown:
haha! I WANT MY PINK SHIRT BACK!
Avatar - probably the most overrated film in recent years. Even giving James Cameron props for his style (and you can't deny the man put a lot of style and visuals into the movie) the story and characters are just so derivative and boring that I honestly didn't really care who lived and who died. But I've been struggling with whether or not it deserved a Best Pic nom...in my own personal opinion it's not of course close to a Best Pic but I also think that such awards should also reflect SOME of our cultural landmarks - as overrated as I find Avatar, plenty of people see it as a big thing.

The King's Speech - not at all a bad film IMO but it's overrated because it just didn't wow me like many Best Pics or Best Pic noms do. It's got great acting, but I was never particularly invested in the characters as well. And honestly with the period setting and everything it just seemed like a made-for-the-Academy type of movie, and I never warm to those quite as much...

Star Wars - also not a bad movie, and I do think it's special because it's iconic culturally in the way people seem to think of Avatar...but that's what it was, I think, the Avatar of its day (albeit better, somewhat). The visuals are what sold it to a lot of people, I think. The characters aren't bad, but aren't quite up there yet (it gets better in Empire Strikes Back IMO) but the dialogue is pretty stilted - classic Lucas. Still, I'd say this is only a little overrated, maybe not the most overrated.

Can't really think of much more for now though...totally disagree with stuff like The Dark Knight, Wall-E or The Godfather being overrated though. I can understand why people may not like certain aspects of it, and I can even understand why people may not like it at all, but I don't think it means everyone else is giving it unearned praise.
Twilight . . . **** me I hate that film.
Original post by Xenomorph v2.1
Slumdog Millionaire....omg british director omg danny boyle omg british film omg

I don't like it but that' just cos the book is better. 10x better. :rolleyes: ****ing films.
Black Swan.
Paranormal Activity.
i thought it was pretty obvious which movie is the most overrated? twilight! and can i just say LOTR the fellowship of the ring is one of the greatest movie's off all time. your reason for calling it an "overrated movie" is not even valid? just because a movie is longer than usual doesn't make it overrated :unimpressed:
american pie was ****ing boring. jar head sucked dick. quadrophenia was a load of toss.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 273
Napoleon Dynamite the MOST boring film i have ever seen
Lost in Translation, Magnolia, Kill Bill, The Notebook were all really bad films for me.
Original post by nawaal
napoleon dynamite the most boring film i have ever seen

you tell them granny!
Nosferatu.
Reply 277
Kill Bill.

Guy paying a doctor to be allowed to rape comatose patient. Woman splattering the whole kitchen with the blood of another woman while her little daughter watches. How can anyone possibly like this crap?
The second I saw The Godfather I couldn't take you seriously
Original post by y2k1
My god there is a lot of **** posing as 'great'.

1) The Godfather-so ****ing boring. You'd think they would do something other than just sitting in a room around a table. So slow. The acting isn't even that good. The don sounds like he's got cotton balls in his mouth. Oh wait that because he has! Had to use subtitles to understand what is being said. Terrible.

Immediately stopped reading after the first words here...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending