The Student Room Group

My 10 most overrated films ever

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dux_Helvetica
The Dark Knight. Was honestly nothing special.

i disagree, it is a solid 8/10 film.
Yo y2k1, I'm really happy for you, I'ma Let you finish, but The Godfather is voted one of the best movies of all time!
The hunger games - What an absolute load of drivel so poorly done. Hope theres never another film.
Avatar - I dont think its bad but for all the hype, definitely overated.
Fargo- Too simplistic once again not bad but overrated.
Resevouir dogs - Not bad but massively overrated and only acts as a precursor to Pulp fiction which lets face it is way better.
Scarface - Typical Overrated Al Pacino, dialogue consists of **** every other line. So much for intelligent dialogue?
Shakespeare in love - Not mentioning the incredible stretching and disregard of historical truth this film reveled in, this is the film that kicked the butt of films like "saving private ryan, the big lebowski, american history x , dark city. All those films will be remembered for a long time whilst this was just some glorified chick flick...
Juno- its a decent film but way exaggerated and overly ambitious. So painfully Hip and cool.
Chicago- Big time overated this crap raked in 300 million? Part of me thinks how the hell but then again 2002 was a pretty woeful year for films... How can anyone take musicals seriously?
Titanic- I think this one speaks for itself.
Top Gun- Homo eroticism everywhere and yet some of the manliest men to man up mankind fail to see it. Or maybe they do and that’s why they embrace it so much. It’s a subconscious way to accept their own homosexuality. Even more mind-boggling is the women who either A) love this movie or B) love the men who love this movie. I know I’ll catch a lot of **** for this one, what with every naval officer ever commissioned citing it as personal inspiration and it being a fountain of quote-worthiness, but I can’t get behind it. And I hope it never gets behind me.

People can disagree with me though and we can debate :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 303
Original post by johnharris19944

Top Gun- Homo eroticism everywhere and yet some of the manliest men to man up mankind fail to see it. Or maybe they do and that’s why they embrace it so much. It’s a subconscious way to accept their own homosexuality. Even more mind-boggling is the women who either A) love this movie or B) love the men who love this movie. I know I’ll catch a lot of sh*t for this one, what with every naval officer ever commissioned citing it as personal inspiration and it being a fountain of quote-worthiness, but I can’t get behind it. And I hope it never gets behind me.

I dont think i have ever laughed so hard at a post, i never thought about it that way until you said it :')
Shutter island and Inception. I'm not saying they are bad films because they are not - but there was just so much hype surrounding them, I was expecting to be blown away and wasn't
Original post by y2k1
Moon
Donnie Darko

GOOD films.

I agree that Avatar is really overrated. Sometimes I have to laugh at scenes because they're so cheesy and bad.

Although I reckon Requiem For a Dream is better than you're giving it credit for. It was better than Trainspotting anyway.
Apocalypse Now - very overrated for me. Can not understand success of this movie.
Reply 307
Hunger Games- I take my hat off to Susan Collins and her books, honestly some of the best teen fiction I've read in a while, but the film...well... They've tried to make it to much like twilight, what was before a gruesome novel of 24 kids fighting to death was made into love story about a 21 year old pretending to be a 17 year old adolescent girl. Da fuq
Reply 308
Original post by Athena21
Pan's Labryinth....god I hated that film.

Smoke a bowl then watch it. It becomes a whole different film, haha. :biggrin:
Reply 309
This stupid thing:

As a Ringer, I must disagree strongly.

The Fellowship of the Ring was (and still is) an amazing film.
It's a fantastic adaptation of a book: a very long, very epic book - one that you cannot just slice up and make shorter, as it would take away from the story!
I'm not even going to start talking about the acting, scenery, music, costume design, script, etc, etc.
The Lord of the Rings trilogy is beautiful.

Also: The Godfather is incredible.
Reply 311
Kill me but 'A Separation' (the Iranian film) was not that special.
You know, I saw The Godfather today for the first time, and I just don't buy the hype. Don't get me wrong, it's a good solid film, but I don't think that it's worthy of the greatest film of all time tag that everyone gives it. Maybe I had too high expectations, or possible because I've already seen The Sopranos, but I just don't think that The Godfather is that special.
1. Titanic - I like the principal cast in other things, just hate the film and the fact that it got rereleased so now 13 year old girls are obsessed with it (Also against James Cameron getting more money because it's the 100th anniversary of people drowning at sea).
2. Avatar - Didn't bother seeing it, as if I wanted the watch a load of blue people I'd watch The Smurfs
3. Lost in Translation - There was literally no point to this film, NOTHING HAPPENS.
4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Maybe it was just that I didn't get it, but it was just too long-winded and confusing. Although I did enjoy seeing Mark Ruffalo in glasses :smile:
5. Grease - I love me some musicals, and I do enjoy the songs and minor characters, but the ending really grinds my gears.
6. Top Gun - Apart from the soundtrack which was AWESOME (and the hilariously homo-erotic subtext), I found it pretty dull. But then again, I'm not really a Tom Cruise fan.
7. Forrest Gump - I love Tom Hanks, but this was just an annoying film (mainly because I had to play Forrest in a school presentation cos nobody else could do the accent)
8. Twilight - Not overrated by normal, sane people with taste, but it should not have the crazy amount of fangirls it does (plus the cast are the opposite of attractive)
9. Pirates of the Caribbean - Was made to watch the 1st and 3rd movies, despite my hatred of Keira Knightley. 3rd was worse, as I lost interest after about 20 minutes when they found Johnny Depp and had to sit through another 3 hours.
10. Pretty Woman - It makes me so angry when people say this is their favourite film. IT IS NOT IN ANY WAY OK TO GLAMOURISE PROSTITUTION! Plus Julia Roberts is a horrendous actress, this film just put the nail in the coffin on that one.
Reply 314
Original post by y2k1
My god there is a lot of **** posing as 'great'.

1) The Godfather-so ****ing boring. You'd think they would do something other than just sitting in a room around a table. So slow. The acting isn't even that good. The don sounds like he's got cotton balls in his mouth. Oh wait that because he has! Had to use subtitles to understand what is being said. Terrible.

2) LOTR part1-so long and ridiculous. Every character speaks in an exaggerated fashion.

3) Wall_E- The only reason people like this is because they are in some sort of mid-life crises and think that it touches their childhood in someway. In reality there is nothing here. Same with Spirited Away which is just a rip off of Alison in Wonderland and not a very good one.

4. Requiem for a Dream. **** me is this bad. There's not enough plot to last the 12 hours that this film feels like so they fill it with stupid camera shots. Film could had been half as long. Trainspotting wasn't much better either.

5. Pans Labyrinth. Just because it aint Hollywood doesn't mean that it's decent and original. So what if the ending is sad? Star wars episode 3 was sad but it was still ****e. Oh and that humming song at the end. So cheap. I saw it coming the first time I heard it. Such a cheap sympathy device. Grave of the Fireflies is FAAR superior.

6. Princess Monoke. I actually like Studio Ghibli. I really do. However, there is so much going on in this film and with so little focus that it's hard to care about how it comes together. Just because a plot is complicated or diverse doesn't mean it's great.

7. The King's speech. I dont have anything against it. I can't really fault it on any aspect. It's just kind of there. If this was on ITV without the hype, I wouldn't be able to distinguish it from the rest of the average films they show. It's not bad, it's just nothing to get excited about.

8. Groundhog Day. The morale of the story is really ****ed up but in an unobvious way. Throughout the film I just kept thinking what the main character did wrong to deserve such a fate (the day repeats over and over). The guy isn't a rapist, a murderer or a drug dealer. He is just an average grumpy guy. He doesn't use his knowledge of no consequences to kill anybody or rape anybody. He didn't deserve it.

9. Avatar. ****ing terrible. Never been so uncomfortable watching a film before. The 3d was crap and the plot and dialogue was even worse. Oh but look at the pretty graphics!

10. The Fighter. I like Christian Bale. Good actor. But the characters themselves just ****ing annoy me. It's like listening to a family argue in a resteraunt. Really annoying.

I would seriously add twilight to this list. Kristen Stewart cannot act. So annoying.
Original post by Nadiya M
I would seriously add twilight to this list. Kristen Stewart cannot act. So annoying.

For Twilight to be overrated it would have to be rated first! All the films have been critically panned and have low ratings on IMDb.
inception one of most overrated films ive watched.
Reply 317
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
The Dark Knight. Was honestly nothing special.

Tastes differ, but I have to say it was one of few films where I sat through the entire film and not be distracted for even a second.
Reply 318
Original post by lothiriel
As a Ringer, I must disagree strongly.

The Fellowship of the Ring was (and still is) an amazing film.
It's a fantastic adaptation of a book: a very long, very epic book - one that you cannot just slice up and make shorter, as it would take away from the story!
I'm not even going to start talking about the acting, scenery, music, costume design, script, etc, etc.
The Lord of the Rings trilogy is beautiful.

Also: The Godfather is incredible.

I agree whole heartedly with this! :smile:
Reply 319
If you would of added "The Artist" I would of hunted you down.

But seriously.. Avatar and The King's Speech? ... dude.

Quick Reply

Latest