The Student Room Group

My 10 most overrated films ever

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Definitely Avatar.

But can't believe that Terminator 2 has been mentioned in here, that is a fantastic film if ever there was one - maybe it is one of those that you must have watched when it was first released to fully appreciate it though.
Reply 361
Nail hits head

Reply 362
Toy Story 3
Wall E, Requiem for a dream, Avatar !! (In that order) Really ??? ultimate sad face :frown:

Pirates of the Caribbean !! ALL OF THEM !!!
Reply 364
Requiem for a Dream, sorry, it's just not that good.

However if you're looking for a better Jared Leto film check out Mr Nobody, now that's a good film.
500 Days of Summer - wow, just wow.

Mulholland Drive - don't get me wrong, the lesbian scene was tasty.
Reply 366
The Woman in Black.
Original post by MW58
The Woman in Black.

I didn't think anyone rated that film in the first place.
Reply 368
Original post by y2k1
Moon
The Dark Knight

Funny!
Reply 369
Original post by iLikeCupcakes
Wall E, Requiem for a dream, Avatar !! (In that order) Really ??? ultimate sad face :frown:

Pirates of the Caribbean !! ALL OF THEM !!!

What? Pirates of the Caribbean are epic. ALL OF THEM!!! Especially Jack Sparrow. CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow.
Reply 370
Slumdog Millionaire - I mean I enjoyed it (eventually) but I thought it got more success than it deserved.

The Artist - see Slumdog Millionaire. I enjoyed it but I sort of thought that it got loads of Oscars due to the fact that it was silent and it was in black and white so giving it Oscars was like celebrating the genre itself.

The Indiana Jones sequels - ROTLA is the best one easily yet the sequels (KOTCS included) were rated the same by many critics.
Iron Man was the best film.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 372
Original post by Tommyjw
You must have terrible taste in films.
Wall-E
Godfather
LOTR.
Kings Speech.

You've listed some of the (voted) best films ever .

I don't like every film that has been rated as very good, but that doesn't mean i'm such a naive up-my-own-ass kid that thinks they are overrated .

Well of the films I have seen:

Avatar. - Visually breathtaking, loved the language and clearly had a lot of love go into it. Let down by the lead actor' constant slipping into his Australian accent (became quite distracting). Also the plot feels a bit predictable, almost a conveyerbelt of a movie/forumulaic. Not particularly unique either (Dances with Wolves, Fern Gully, Pochahontas). 8/10.

Wall-E - Was an OK film, sometimes quite charming. I liked the references to 2001:A Space Odyssey. Not my favorite Pixar film though, much preferred The Incredibles.

Godfather - I'm with Peter Griffin on this, it insists upon itself (or rather, its fans do). ;p I think maybe I'd be more appreciative if it wasn't surrounded by the whole "if you don't like the Godfather, you clearly don't understand/like films" (it is that patronizing level of fandom that really annoys me). It is quite hard to like a film when you are told you "HAVE to like it". Don't get me wrong, it's a solid film, but the perfect film? Hmmmm.

LOTR - As a fan of the books, I think Peter Jackson did an incredible job with the films. Love them.

Kings Speech - Pure Oscar-bait (man overcomes adversity/disability against the odds with the help of a non-conventional tutor). It's a good film, but it feels like any other of the Oscar winners in this category (Good Will Hunting for example). The acting was great, and it was a very watchable film, but I don't see how it can be one of the greatest films ever made.

Groundhog Day - It's an enjoyable lighthearted comedy, I didn't know that it was considered overrated. Not one of my favourites, but I'll happily watch it if it is on the box.

Requiem for a Dream - Absolutely haunting. It takes a very brave director to finish a film on such a cold note. It really affected me emotionally so for me that is a sign that it has worked.

Pans Labyrinth - One of my favorites, as is The Fall (in a similar vein with reality/fantasy presented simultaneously).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 373
Original post by y2k1

1) The Godfather-so ****ing boring. You'd think they would do something other than just sitting in a room around a table. So slow. The acting isn't even that good. The don sounds like he's got cotton balls in his mouth. Oh wait that because he has! Had to use subtitles to understand what is being said. Terrible.

The acting is fantastic. Al Pacino is unbelievable in his portrayl of Michael Corleone in this film and his descent from the college boy who doesn't want to get involved in the family business to the man resigned to his fate and feelings of responsibility for his family is subtly done.

Original post by y2k1

8. Groundhog Day. The morale of the story is really ****ed up but in an unobvious way. Throughout the film I just kept thinking what the main character did wrong to deserve such a fate (the day repeats over and over). The guy isn't a rapist, a murderer or a drug dealer. He is just an average grumpy guy. He doesn't use his knowledge of no consequences to kill anybody or rape anybody. He didn't deserve it.

In the original script for the film, it is revealed that the main character gets stuck in groundhog day after his ex-girlfriend casts a spell on him after he treats her badly. They removed these sequences from the final cut, presumably because they realised that this was totally unimportant and inconsequential as far as the rest of the film was concerned.
Reply 374
Original post by Fusion
The Dark Knight - it's rubbish, opening scene was the best part, also goes on for way too long.

I wouldn't say it is rubbish but I would concede that the film is bloated and inferior to Batman Begins (and indeed The Dark Knight Rises).

That said, the hype for the second film was built up mainly because the first one was so good. Also, Heath Ledger was that good in it. I have never heard anybody want to deny that...
City of God is underrated.

Godfather is a masterpiece, but won't cater to everyone (what film does?).

Younger generations don't like it because it actually has a plot/slow rather then boobs, explosions, 'insert generic wooden muscle man' boobs then more explosions.

Dire trash.
Avatar is the only one I agree on.

Other than that, the hype around Hangover made me a bit disappointed. I think it's funny if you're with a bunch of friends, have had a few drinks and watch it together. But then again, a lot of movies are funny if you're already in that mood. I tried rewatching Hangover after a while, and the second time it's not funny at all (in contrast of other really good comedies which are funny again and again).

The Hunger Games - people are going on about it, I just found it cliched and at times a bit embarrassing.

I love LOTR, but then again if you've never read the books, I don't think you can go watch it and expect to be 'sucked in'.
Twilight....
Avatar - I walked out the cinema 30 minutes in, it was visually stunning but it was so boring. I just up and went **** this ****, spent rest of the night getting pissed.

Twilight - watched it on TV a year ago, I can't believe that is popular. All I saw was good looking people jump around. Extremely dull and characters were really unlike-able.

Scary Movie- dumb and wasn't funny.

American Pie- people go on about how great this movie is, I just thought it was the same as any other teen comedy.

Men in black - will smith is annoying

Quarntine - **** all over Rec

Ring (American remake) - Ringu is perfect, the remake wasn't needed.

Let me in - Let the right one in was perfect but the american version didn't compare, rather watch a original than a copy.

Transformers - MICHAEL BAY! he should be locked up for the crime of aing terrible movies.

Harry Potter - I didn't mind it at the beginning but it seemed like it went on forever, I kept thinking FINISH ALREADY!

and anything Adam Sandlar is over rated. When Adam Sandlar walked in to a school we never knew what could happen, Adam Sandlar in the teacher. yawn

thats all I can think of so far, sure there is more
After finally seeing the Godfather this year, your choice of it as the most overrated film ever completely astounds me. It's an incredible film.

Quick Reply

Latest