The Student Room Group

My 10 most overrated films ever

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Member737,514
Paranormal Activity, especially 2.

I totally agree. I haven't seen the second, but judging by the first it's not going to be worth it.

Oh, and 2012.
Reply 101
I agree about Avatar. The 3D was nice, but the story was the same old recycled rubbish that Hollywood has been putting out for years. Humans invade a planet, natives fight back, at least one human falls in love with a member of the native humanoid species, blah blah blah, we've seen it all before. Also, A Clockwork Orange. I'll admit that I really enjoyed it and Kubrick is probably my favourite director of all time plus I've always been a sucker for dark satire, but it certainly didn't live up to the incredible hype in my opinion. I prefer the book.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 102
Black swan - i just watched it yesterday and i was expecting more tbh
Avatar is terrible, I agree with that.
Reply 104
the hangover. i got so bored i couldnt watch the later half of it. the end might have been slightly more interesting.
Original post by CitizensUnited
I totally agree. I haven't seen the second, but judging by the first it's not going to be worth it.

Oh, and 2012.

you could say that making fun of / taking the piss out of 2012 is overrated maybe, it is a really bad film
Original post by Drewski
I'll add Titanic. How the hell that won all those Oscars I'll never understand. Turgid is being polite.

Oh, and Superbad. I hoped the title was ironic, but everybody seems to like it. There's no hope for humanity.

Because the hot ginger has her tits out.
Reply 107
District 9 and the Pirates of the Caribbean series off the top of my head.
Harry Potter. The books are great but after the first two films, they became craaaap (Michael Gambon makes a dreadful Dumbledore!)
Original post by Jacktri
1) Avatar
2) Toy story 33) Hurt Locker
4) King's Speech
5) Lord of the rings trilogy
6) Harry Potter films
7) Indiana Jones
8) ET
9) The Lion King
10) Saving Private Ryan

If you didn't well up at the end, you are made of stone!

Agree with ET though, he freaks me out no end
Reply 110
Original post by RubberDinghy Rapid
If you didn't well up at the end, you are made of stone!

Agree with ET though, he freaks me out no end

the first two Toy Story films were good the third one was rubbish why would i cry nothing bad happened
Reply 111
Also, Could I add Mumma Mia to this list?

In all honesty, one of the worst films I've ever seen. Pierce Brosnan Singing = No. :colonhash:
Reply 112
Original post by Xenomorph v2.1
Slumdog Millionaire....omg british director omg danny boyle omg british film omg

Have to agree with this. I really didn't think it was very good.
Reply 113
Please don't say that your favourite film is epic movie..
Reply 114
crap/overrated movies -
Moon
The Departed ( original Infernal Affairs was far better)
All the Scream series
There Will be Blood
No Country for Old Men
All the Transformers films (anything directed by Michael Bay really)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Zodiac
Donnie Darko

Great movies off the top of my head -
Usual Suspects
Liar (Tim Roth not jim carrey one)
True Romance
Shawshank Redemption
Body of Lies
Jaws
Satr Wars/Empire
The Seven Samurai
Godfather Pt II
Carlitos Way
Reply 115
Max Payne. I heard a lot of good reviews about it, friends saying it was great, 30-40 minutes in and I turnt it off as it was boring me.
Apocalypse Now
Avatar isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. To be fair, no one really watched it for the storyline, as it was bound to be cheesy and predictable. The graphics were excellent though, especially when viewed in 3D IMAX. Compare this to The Lovely Bones, I'm not sure if there was really much hype about this film but it had a decent-ish original plot however the film was focused too heavily on creating nice, pretty CGIs (which weren't very spectacular) instead of telling the story.
Reply 118
Oh btw Star Wars ep 3 Revenge of the Sith was even worse than the Phantom Menace. The idea that it somehow redeemed 1 of the worst trilogies in history is nonsense.
Reply 119
Another "I hate this thing everyone likes, bitch bitch, moan moan" thread. Bor-ing.

Quick Reply

Latest