The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
Thanks for the advice.

Again, I'll mention this is all hypothetical. The only problem is I need a car pretty sharpish and if I'm going to get a car, I'll need advice off my dad, but I haven't told him that I might buy a "classic" car. For him, reliability is the first thing he looks for, so the chances of me actually getting an older car might be pretty slim. Unless anyone on here happens to know of any cars that are ultra-reliable?

Btw, I also wanted to ask, how many people use older cars as an everyday car?

Quite a few of the users on this forum do use older cars as their everyday car.

Myself, currently only the Jaguar and the Mini is insured, but we don't really drive it everyday. The Jaguar I would only drive it when the roads are dry and no chance of a rain as I don't have a hood for it yet. Admittedly since it came, I only driven it for 2 minutes :tongue:

The Mini, my wife drives it if she is going somewhere nearby as in less than 3-5 miles away. But for further journeys she will drive one of the other cars. She has put around 400 miles since it arrived 2 months ago.

However there is nothing that prevents you from using it as an everyday car as long as you buy a good one.

Ultra reliable cars? All cars these days are reliable tbh.... even older cars where in its day it was a well known tempermental crap car, these days it would be reliable as most people would have found ways around the problems it had or replaced the parts that were causing parts with better built ones.

New cars, surprisingly while they are indeed generally reliable there are still cars which do breakdown despite being brand new :biggrin:
Original post by Erich Hartmann
Quite a few of the users on this forum do use older cars as their everyday car.

Myself, currently only the Jaguar and the Mini is insured, but we don't really drive it everyday. The Jaguar I would only drive it when the roads are dry and no chance of a rain as I don't have a hood for it yet. Admittedly since it came, I only driven it for 2 minutes :tongue:

The Mini, my wife drives it if she is going somewhere nearby as in less than 3-5 miles away. But for further journeys she will drive one of the other cars. She has put around 400 miles since it arrived 2 months ago.

However there is nothing that prevents you from using it as an everyday car as long as you buy a good one.

Ultra reliable cars? All cars these days are reliable tbh.... even older cars where in its day it was a well known tempermental crap car, these days it would be reliable as most people would have found ways around the problems it had or replaced the parts that were causing parts with better built ones.

New cars, surprisingly while they are indeed generally reliable there are still cars which do breakdown despite being brand new :biggrin:

In your opinion, what would you suggest for a reliable, older car? I would be using it everyday, so can't be having it breaking down.

Also, what Jag do you drive, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 22
Thanks for the advice.

Again, I'll mention this is all hypothetical. The only problem is I need a car pretty sharpish and if I'm going to get a car, I'll need advice off my dad, but I haven't told him that I might buy a "classic" car. For him, reliability is the first thing he looks for, so the chances of me actually getting an older car might be pretty slim. Unless anyone on here happens to know of any cars that are ultra-reliable?

I have used a Reliant Scimitar Small Sport 1 (soft top 2 seater 1987) as an everyday car, however it is not much fun in winter (ices up on the inside). As I have recently also acquired an aged Mercedes C180 for this year's summer holiday it has been left somewhat sitting the last couple of months.

The plus point is that fixing things that go wrong is simple (no engine management etc to worry about) and it is basically a go kart with plastic body panels bolted on ,albeit with a tendency to develop electrical faults. It does have reasonable speed ,0-60 just over 10 secs, top speed on paper 108mph, however as it is very low it feels faster . It corners pretty well for a 24 year old car running on 1970s technology and on minor winding roads it is good fun, however if I needed to drive it 30-40 miles a day to and from work I think the noise/ ride would be really annoying.

I have been considering an older Mini or similar if my daughter passes her test later this year however as we also have a more recent Fiat 500 Pop my wife runs it may work out cheaper insuring her to use this rather than run yet another car.
In your opinion, what would you suggest for a reliable, older car? I would be using it everyday, so can't be having it breaking down.

Also, what Jag do you drive, if you don't mind me asking?

It's a Series 1 E-Type.

My wife used to drive a Rover Metro, surprisingly for a crap car it was very reliable despite doing 150k miles before it got stolen. But then she only paid £250 for it. She drove it from Wrexham to London 4x without a single issue.

Other reliable old cars :-

Morris Minor, though to be usable everyday you will need a fairly later model one.
VW Beetle, this things if taken care off will tick on forever.
Minis.... if you buy a good one it will be reliable, if something does go wrong it is easy to fix.

If you can find one in good condition and within budget, a Volvo 122 and even better if you can find a P1800...but it's not going to be easy to get a good one, cheap.

You could also try for a Mercedes W123. Definitely reliable and over-engineered for what it is.
Reply 24
You will definitely get it if it is below 2.0l, that's what FJ told us.

Above 2.0l no matter how many years NCB or good a driver you, you will definitely not get it if you are below 21.

Nonsense. I've been driving 3.5's for years.
Original post by JC.
Nonsense. I've been driving 3.5's for years.

Things have changed since you were 21 :biggrin:
Reply 26
It's a Series 1 E-Type.

My wife used to drive a Rover Metro, surprisingly for a crap car it was very reliable despite doing 150k miles before it got stolen. But then she only paid £250 for it. She drove it from Wrexham to London 4x without a single issue.

Other reliable old cars :-

Morris Minor, though to be usable everyday you will need a fairly later model one.
VW Beetle, this things if taken care off will tick on forever.
Minis.... if you buy a good one it will be reliable, if something does go wrong it is easy to fix.

If you can find one in good condition and within budget, a Volvo 122 and even better if you can find a P1800...but it's not going to be easy to get a good one, cheap.

You could also try for a Mercedes W123. Definitely reliable and over-engineered for what it is.

I would endorse the Mercedes, whilst I did not have the W123 I did have a 1991 W124 (Strictly S124 as it was an Estate) which was incredibly well built. It only gave up the ghost two years ago when the auto box went on a trip back from Sweden, however notwithstanding driving > 200 miles with 1000 rpm for every 10 mph it got us back to the ferry at 40mph over 6 hours at 4000 rpm, the 2.9 litre engine dealt with the sustained high revs and saved us missing the ferry.

I was really sad to trade it in at Ipswich under the scrappage scheme for our Fiat 500 once we disembarked at Harwich, however it had just shy of 250,000 miles on the clock and owned us nothing.

If the bigger Merc's are to expensive to run I have heard good stories about the old 190's, however I believe care is needed buying as a great number were used as taxis.
Reply 27
Thanks for the advice.

I use my 1966 car as my everyday car. However that's mostly because I have a fairly flexible/understanding boss, and don't live far from work if the car doesn't start etc. The car certainly has let me down occasionally, but my car was bought pretty cheap and [had] a pretty rough engine, engine has since been changed, and although I've not had the new engine long, it's in pretty sweet order, so I'd feel fairly confident to rely on it.
Reply 28

Something small, simple, and popular, so it is easy to fix and parts are easily available. Triumph Herald/Spitfire, Morris Minor, Austin/Morris ADO16, MG/Austin Spridget, etc. etc.
Reply 29
Things have changed since you were 21 :biggrin:

Not in the real world they havent.
Reply 30
Like already said, Footman James are really good. I'm with them with a classic mini and I got such a good price :smile:
Reply 31
As the title says, is it possible to get classic car insurance if you are under 25(I'm 19 btw)? I've looked on other threads and it seems that there are TSRers with classic cars and they are around that age, but I just wanted to ask because I've seen it mentioned that insurers are changing the age limits. Is classic car insurance consistently cheaper than normal car insurance, even for a 19 year old? Can it be used on any car that is 15+ years old? Asking because I'm coming around to the idea of getting a classic car. Anyone had a classic car as their first car?

Firstly you should exactly know what is a classic car. A classic car is any car that is more than 10 years old and worth more than ₤15,000 pounds. Most well established car insurance companies provide classic car owners with discounts at an average of 25%. Additional Insurance:-You can request your insurance provider to offer you coverage for your prized number plate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by serleen
Firstly you should exactly know what is a classic car. A classic car is any car that is more than 10 years old and worth more than ₤15,000 pounds. Most well established car insurance companies provide classic car owners with discounts at an average of 25%. Additional Insurance:-You can request your insurance provider to offer you coverage for your prized number plate.

Lol no.
As the title says, is it possible to get classic car insurance if you are under 25(I'm 19 btw)? I've looked on other threads and it seems that there are TSRers with classic cars and they are around that age, but I just wanted to ask because I've seen it mentioned that insurers are changing the age limits. Is classic car insurance consistently cheaper than normal car insurance, even for a 19 year old? Can it be used on any car that is 15+ years old? Asking because I'm coming around to the idea of getting a classic car. Anyone had a classic car as their first car?

I think you can.
People on here have mentioned having classic cars+ insurance, so you must be able to. Try and get some quotes to see. Try all the usual classic car insurance companies, like adrian flux etc.
Reply 34
Got a '67 Hillamn Hunter 600 quid through footman james when I passed 4 months ago and i'm only 17, a proper car, 3 wires to make it go and nice and sideways in the rain...rwd all the way!
Reply 35
was just wondering, if I was 17, would I be able to insure a Silver spirit for under £1000? :tongue:

Or a silver shadow* free tax!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Jay99
was just wondering, if I was 17, would I be able to insure a Silver spirit for under £1000? :tongue:

Or a silver shadow* free tax!

no.
Can you please tell me the name of the company that insured you am 21 and am planning to get a classic bmw 2litre petrol but most of the classic insurances are rejecting me and also are you the only driver insured under your policy ?
Original post by Hardy223
Can you please tell me the name of the company that insured you am 21 and am planning to get a classic bmw 2litre petrol but most of the classic insurances are rejecting me and also are you the only driver insured under your policy ?

This thread is over 6 years old you'd have been better off making your own; but I'll help you anyway.

I doubt you'll get an answer due to thread age from OP, but my recommendations would be Acorn, Adrian Flux or call PolicyAssist up and ask for Ray, really nice bloke, given me a free consulation before since I'm always looking to keep costs down (only downside is he's strictly Mon-Fri 9-5, think he's self-employed). Neither of those three should say no to you, but it's not going to be cheap, potentially not even competitive. How classic are we talking? In all honesty I would garage it until you've got a few years NCB or you turn 25 - you'll be so far better off. No matter how much money you have no amount of money is going to be worth paying for a policy like that at your age. Despite those three recommendations I would seriously wait - Adrian Flux respond well to phone calls (but are terrible with e-mails), and Acorn are extremely slow; there are far more better companies that ONLY deal with classic cars that will open their doors to you in a few years and for a great car, it's worth the wait. Proper insurance that's going to cover the true value of your car, not some D-Tier farce that exists only for it to be legal for you to drive your car.

Best of luck.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending