The Student Room Group

How to get an Unconditional Offer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What are APs? sorry if its something really obvious and im just being thick lol
My apologies...

AP's = Advanced Placement Tests

Their an American standerdized test which are similair to the UK's "A" levels...hope that helps. he he forgot that not everyone knows what an AP is.:redface: you can atke the tests in many subject areas, from latin to english lit to european hist.
Reply 22
Original post by bband
Does any know How to get an Unconditional Offer for Maths. What factors (Grades, personal statement) affect your chances of getting an unconditional offer If you get straight A's .
Thanks

I got one with only GCSEs to look at (I didn't do A levels), and no interview. Course was 1 in the UK by guardian standards and regularly top 5 if not top 3 by complete university guide.

Be the player, not the played.
Reply 23
Original post by IQ Test
It said in "The Pacific" that a Japanese soldier could survive for three weeks on a bag of rice and a bag of raisins. I wonder whether it's true for students as well...

You do know this thread is 5 years old, right?
Reply 24
Original post by Occlusal
You do know this thread is 5 years old, right?

Dammit! I posted in the wrong thread.

I feel very silly:colondollar:
I knew some kid 3 years ago who got an unconditional from Edinburgh before his exams.
Reply 26
This is how I got unconditional offer!

1- I was invited to open day at university of Wolverhampton (you might think it isn't got university)

2- I told them what I wanted to do (media study)

Interview time

3- they asked for my qualification which I provided (national certificate in media double graded distinction and merit)

4- I showed them 1000 hourse of volunteering in media industry

5- while I was student at college I was doing my own business (film & photography wedding) I gave them DVD I made

6- I was offered broadcast and journalism course unconditional (I refused)

7- after I refused they didn't let me go they offered me top course ( video and film production ) I did accept which I will start in September

Please know English is not my 1st language and I don't have any qualification in English but I did my course at college in English language so they thought my English was good enough.

All university will offer unconditional offer if your grade are good and have work experience, you have to show them you are able to do the course at the interview time

I hope this will help
Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by kashiya
Well, I don't know what UK students have to do... But if you're from Poland and are applying to UK universities you can get an unconditional if you are for instance the winner of Maths Olympic Competition (dunno really how to translate it in polish it is "olimpiada" and it means Olympic Games). In Poland every subject has its Olympic Games and it is on a v. high level and higly valued by the universities (also in other countires), so if you win it (win= you are *I think* among the 10 best in Poland, and you compete against ppl who are excellent on their field) you can get an unconditional offer (also in the UK).

In English they are called Olympiads :smile:
One of my uni applications came back as an unconditional before I'd finished my A-levels, without even an interview. It was one of the best places in the UK for that subject too. Totally freaked me out! I didn't take it for a few reasons and one of them was that if I was sat on a an unconditional I had no reason to continue the A-levels because, by this point, I was pretty 'done' with the courses and knew how to get marks in exams... In truth I shouldn't have been going to university at all because I'd totally forgotten what I wanted to do with my life and uni was just 'what you do if you're academic' and I felt like there was no other choice. Had no idea how to go about earning anything on my own terms for example - well, I did, but it all seemed very cold and about the 'profit' which isn't me at all so I was really just hoping to find my world in academia. In summary: unconditionals (and conditionals) are kind of pointless if you've not figured out what's important and done as much as you can on your own to test assumptions :smile: *this is basically what I wish I'd have done now I've reflected on the whole thing. Good luck
Take a gap year so you already have your results.

Quick Reply

Latest