Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Medicine/Dentistry with Foundation Year (A104/A204) - Do you want to know more?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buzzybee123)
    Hi, I've just recently received me GCSE grades and chosen my A-level subjects. I really want to study Dentistry at University and am contemplating weather on not I should change me A-level subjects as I have been researching Dentistry courses at Universities and found a 6 year course rather than the normal 5 with a pre-dental year. Should I change my A-level options to non-science ones to meet the 6 year course requirements as I think I can probably achieve better grades in non-science subjects??? Help -what should I do?! Also what subjects are classified as non-science?
    The person who started this thread hasn't been on TSR since January, so I doubt you'll get a reply.

However, I would strongly suggest that you do take science A Levels that will make you eligible for dentistry at Manchester and elsewhere.

The medicine foundation - and I strongly suspect that the same holds true for dentistry - is actually now MORE competitive than the 5 year course, so by making yourself only eligible for the foundation year, your making it both more difficult to get into dentistry, and impossible to get into any related courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants any help relating to the Medicine with a foundation year course then post here and I'll try my best to help since I'm on the course at Manchester .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UzairAhmadje)
    If anyone wants any help relating to the Medicine with a foundation year course then post here and I'll try my best to help since I'm on the course at Manchester .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Heya mate,

This is definitely my first choice of course as I love the city, I like the sound of PBL and let's be honest, there's not much choice out there for us foundation lot!

How are you finding the course? Also, would you be able to have a look through my PS, I will be sending it off in a matter of days now.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alimbo95)
    Heya mate,

This is definitely my first choice of course as I love the city, I like the sound of PBL and let's be honest, there's not much choice out there for us foundation lot!

How are you finding the course? Also, would you be able to have a look through my PS, I will be sending it off in a matter of days now.
    Please do not send your PS to anyone through the private message system, or post it on the public forums. This is for your own safety, as you run the risk of having it plagiarised. If that happened to you, you wouldn't get into medicine this year.

Have a look at the TSR guides to PS, get your college tutors to have a look at it, but please don't put it on TSR (NB the notable exception to this is normally the PS Help forums, as they're secure, but unfortunately that's now closed to new submissions until October 16th )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Please do not send your PS to anyone through the private message system, or post it on the public forums. This is for your own safety, as you run the risk of having it plagiarised. If that happened to you, you wouldn't get into medicine this year.

Have a look at the TSR guides to PS, get your college tutors to have a look at it, but please don't put it on TSR (NB the notable exception to this is normally the PS Help forums, as they're secure, but unfortunately that's now closed to new submissions until October 16th )
    Ah right, sorry about that.

I put my PS for review here, but I haven't heard anything back yet
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, sorry about that.

I put my PS for review here, but I haven't heard anything back yet
    We're currently doing our best to get through them all before the deadline but it is very busy at the moment, hence why we've had to shut it. As a guide, the oldest medicine PS that is currently there is 13 days old, so you will probably be waiting a few more days.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Heya mate,

Hey, sorry for the late response.

Manchester was also my first choice and thankfully I got in. The course takes some breaking into as PBL is not as easy as it seems :P but I can see how and why students who study medicine via PBL are well equipped for their future careers.

Sorry I cannot look through your PS though, as Origami Bullets stated, your best bet is to wait until your PS has been reviewed by someone on TSR.

All the best with applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjpuddytat)
    Hi guys,

I've just finished the 'Pre-med' / Pre-dentistry Foundation Year at the University of Manchester and wanted to put myself forward if anyone has any questions about the course.

Since there are a very limited number of places on the course, the information available is lacking and when I applied I found it difficult to find out more about the course than what was on the UoM website.

Questions regarding course content/facilities/exam format/practical work etc are all welcome.

Whether you've been offered a place or are considering applying, reply to this thread with your questions and I will check back soon.
    Hi just wanted to ask, if I did the double science award at gcse and foundation tier maths, would I find the sciences and maths hard in the foundation year?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna.A123)
    Hi just wanted to ask, if I did the double science award at gcse and foundation tier maths, would I find the sciences and maths hard in the foundation year?
    That person hasn't been active on TSR for over a year so you probably won't get a reply.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 6, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.