The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Tattoo Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MonaT
This was my first tattoo. Got it in January 2010. It says «Follow the White Rabbit», and it's inspired by Alice in Wonderland (not Matrix, as many people think). If Alice hadn't followed the white rabbit, she would never have gotten to see Wonderland. So it's a reminder to take chances in life.

I love this tattoo so much, the design is perfect! Is it a font or did someone design it for you?
Original post by MonaT
This was my first tattoo. Got it in January 2010. It says «Follow the White Rabbit», and it's inspired by Alice in Wonderland (not Matrix, as many people think). If Alice hadn't followed the white rabbit, she would never have gotten to see Wonderland. So it's a reminder to take chances in life.

I love the font! This is actually really nice.
So I went to a studio yesterday to get a quote for a design.
It's a super simple design, I want a Harry Potter scar on my ankle in red.
I'm just worried that because it's simple the studio might fob me off to the apprentice or something
but I want the owner guy to do it. Is it acceptable to ask for him to do it?
I didn't feel like I was being taken very seriously.
The receptionist who was dealing with me was a bit weird, first she said that I would need a black outline around it, I knew that wasn't right, but luckily one of the artists corrected her.
I didn't actually get to talk to him, the receptionist just kept walking from me to him and back to me.
Also the receptionist was like "it would really be best if you got it done right now"
I was like, well no, I'm going bowling in half an hour!

TLDR: Went to studio, receptionist put me off. Don't want to be put off because this seems to be the best studio in town in terms of artist talent.

Also does £60 sound right for that sort of design?
Reply 163
Original post by Popppppy
So I went to a studio yesterday to get a quote for a design.
It's a super simple design, I want a Harry Potter scar on my ankle in red.
I'm just worried that because it's simple the studio might fob me off to the apprentice or something
but I want the owner guy to do it. Is it acceptable to ask for him to do it?
I didn't feel like I was being taken very seriously.
The receptionist who was dealing with me was a bit weird, first she said that I would need a black outline around it, I knew that wasn't right, but luckily one of the artists corrected her.
I didn't actually get to talk to him, the receptionist just kept walking from me to him and back to me.
Also the receptionist was like "it would really be best if you got it done right now"
I was like, well no, I'm going bowling in half an hour!

TLDR: Went to studio, receptionist put me off. Don't want to be put off because this seems to be the best studio in town in terms of artist talent.

Also does £60 sound right for that sort of design?

No problem asking for it to be done by a particular artist if that's what you want. I have had some difficult conversations with a receptionist at a tattoo place before but once I got to speak with the artist who was going to do the drawing for me everything was ok. Just a case of her not understanding what you want and labelling you as an awkward clueless customer. £60 does sound a little steep for such a simple design. I would have thought £40 max as studios usually base around hourly charges. That shouldn't take more than 30 mins, so they are expensive at around £120/hr.

I went down to my local tattoo place and got to speak to the new artist (after seeing some of his work on facebook). I am not particularly arty, but he took a pic off me and is going to draw up a design. I plan on getting a phoenix rising from a bed of leaves from just below my hip and up to just below my ribs. Will post a pic of my tattoo when it's done:smile:
Reply 164
Original post by Cyclo
I plan on getting a phoenix rising from a bed of leaves from just below my hip and up to just below my ribs. Will post a pic of my tattoo when it's done:smile:

Sounds neat. What style of phoenix are you going with? Strong and fiery? Maybe 'I absorb other people's pain'? Look forward to seeing the finished thing.
Original post by Cyclo
No problem asking for it to be done by a particular artist if that's what you want. I have had some difficult conversations with a receptionist at a tattoo place before but once I got to speak with the artist who was going to do the drawing for me everything was ok. Just a case of her not understanding what you want and labelling you as an awkward clueless customer. £60 does sound a little steep for such a simple design. I would have thought £40 max as studios usually base around hourly charges. That shouldn't take more than 30 mins, so they are expensive at around £120/hr.

I went down to my local tattoo place and got to speak to the new artist (after seeing some of his work on facebook). I am not particularly arty, but he took a pic off me and is going to draw up a design. I plan on getting a phoenix rising from a bed of leaves from just below my hip and up to just below my ribs. Will post a pic of my tattoo when it's done:smile:

Got it today! They charged me £40 in the end, I don't think they realised how small I wanted it before.
The guy that did it was lovely and helpful and it didn't hurt at all really.
Reply 166
Original post by KT9
Sounds neat. What style of phoenix are you going with? Strong and fiery? Maybe 'I absorb other people's pain'? Look forward to seeing the finished thing.

Cool designs. I'm in to the elements / the natural world. I have a the four elements tattooed underneath my right fore arm and have a snowflake on my upper left arm. So it's drawn up with that in mind. It appears to be rising from a bed of leaves with lots of swirls sketched in to represent the wind.

Got a 2 hour outline session booked in this coming Thursday. I'm going to be in pain, but will post up a pic afterwards:smile:

Got it today! They charged me £40 in the end, I don't think they realised how small I wanted it before.
The guy that did it was lovely and helpful and it didn't hurt at all really.

Good. Glad it went well :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 167
Original post by Cyclo
Cool designs. I'm in to the elements / the natural world. I have a the four elements tattooed underneath my right fore arm and have a snowflake on my upper left arm. So it's drawn up with that in mind. It appears to be rising from a bed of leaves with lots of swirls sketched in to represent the wind.

Got a 2 hour outline session booked in this coming Thursday. I'm going to be in pain, but will post up a pic afterwards:smile:

Sounds really nice - makes sense with you doing a meteorology course. Good luck on Thursday :smile:
I'm thinking of getting a second tattoo done on my foot, I want a skull kind of like this:
http://gangstatattoos.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Skull-Tattoo2.jpg

except with the hat to be a bow and to have some colour, a bit like a sugar skull
but with not as much colour and the quote ''mad to live'' going around it....kind of like a wreath.

Do you think this is too much? Should I have the skull tattoo and quote as separate tattoos?
Also, what do you think is a reasonable price for such a tattoo??

Sorry for all the questions!
Help. Sorry if this is the wrong thread also.
Ok so I know my tattoo is meant to scab, but is it meant to be all bumpy and kinda squishy?
When I wake up the tattoo looks fine, but then after I bepanthen it up it's all oozy.
I'm putting bepanthen on 2 or 3 times a day.
It's been 5 days.
Reply 170
Help. Sorry if this is the wrong thread also.
Ok so I know my tattoo is meant to scab, but is it meant to be all bumpy and kinda squishy?
When I wake up the tattoo looks fine, but then after I bepanthen it up it's all oozy.
I'm putting bepanthen on 2 or 3 times a day.
It's been 5 days.

What do your hands do when you have them in a bowl of water? You're pretty much doing the same to your tattoo, so squishy might be normal - although may be a sign you're over moisturising. As long as it doesn't look infected and isn't overly angry it's probably fine.
Reply 171
IMG_0884.jpg

My lover :colondollar: It's a self harm scar cover up (had around 30 scars in that area and it's just lovely.
Original post by Juno
What do your hands do when you have them in a bowl of water? You're pretty much doing the same to your tattoo, so squishy might be normal - although may be a sign you're over moisturising. As long as it doesn't look infected and isn't overly angry it's probably fine.

Thanks!
I was worried I was undermoisturising because I read about people putting bepanthen on like 5 times a day but mine seems to be fine with just a bit on in the morning and then some more before bed. It's only tiny tiny really.
Thanks!
I was worried I was undermoisturising because I read about people putting bepanthen on like 5 times a day but mine seems to be fine with just a bit on in the morning and then some more before bed. It's only tiny tiny really.

I didn't use bepanthen at all on my last one. It's not essential, and some people really go overboard.
My obsession with tattoos since I was about 11 (lol) has resulted in me wanting a whole array of tattoos on my body forever. I'm planning on getting tattooed in the summer and I've taken my time deciding on my own designs and which artists are best to go to. I'm so excited!
Reply 175
Had a lot of the outlining done for the phoenix on my side today. I'll post up a pic tomorrow when I get chance.
Reply 176
Original post by Cyclo
Had a lot of the outlining done for the phoenix on my side today. I'll post up a pic tomorrow when I get chance.

Cool, how'd it go?
Reply 177
Original post by KT9
Cool, how'd it go?

Went really well. Didn't hurt much at all. Still a lot to do, but i'm happy with how it's going. Might have to calm the tattooist down a bit though. He seems a little over-enthusiastic about wanting to develop it more, adding bits here and a bit of colour there. Not sure I want a tail arcing around my lower back and up the other side. Think i'll just keep it to the one side, but we'll see how it goes at my next sitting in a couple of weeks.

Would have posted a pic by now but can't find a camera. I'll look a bit harder tomorrow when I don't feel so tired. Glad i'm off work this weekend and have the easter break to rest.
Reply 178
Original post by Cyclo
Went really well. Didn't hurt much at all. Still a lot to do, but i'm happy with how it's going. Might have to calm the tattooist down a bit though. He seems a little over-enthusiastic about wanting to develop it more, adding bits here and a bit of colour there. Not sure I want a tail arcing around my lower back and up the other side. Think i'll just keep it to the one side, but we'll see how it goes at my next sitting in a couple of weeks.

Would have posted a pic by now but can't find a camera. I'll look a bit harder tomorrow when I don't feel so tired. Glad i'm off work this weekend and have the easter break to rest.

That's brilliant, I'm pleased for you. Not sure I believe it didn't hurt much at all though!

Hmm, it must be difficult to get the balance right between a tattooists "superior vision" and making sure you're not just a canvas - that you're getting what you really want.

Eugh, I'm off work this weekend because I'm ill for the first time since I was thirteen. I forgot how much it sucks!!

Best of luck with your next session - I'm sure you'll love it in the end, whatever you decide to go with.
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
:rofl:

:zomg: ... :teehee:
This is bloody hilarious. Its a tattoo, what was she expecting. I would rep you, but I' all out for today :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest