The Student Room Group

Part 1 - Year Out

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Hispanic-Impressions
Ha really, like how badly? :tongue:

Through and through. I wrote a load of spiel about how I was an "expert" with Vectorworks even though I've used it a total of about 4 times and how I was "skilled" with Microstation which I've used a grand total of once I believe.

Might've seemed a bit like bullsh*t to them how I happen to know all the programs but they'll give you the benefit of the doubt. They sort of have to.
quick question: does everyone lie on their CVs? i'd never even considered it...
I didn't lie at all in the end.

Those still looking for jobs, if you speak any other language, go look for stuff in those countries. It's the way forward.
Reply 43

Those still looking for jobs, if you speak any other language, go look for stuff in those countries. It's the way forward.

I want to move to New Zealand but it all seems a bit daunting, I feel like I'd have to sort somewhere to work before I went.
Original post by Andeh_
I want to move to New Zealand but it all seems a bit daunting, I feel like I'd have to sort somewhere to work before I went.

Well there's nothing to stop you from applying while you're still over here...

I ended up flying out for some interviews (but it's not very far), but some places would probably just have you do a phone interview, or skype... esp. if it's as far as new zealand. But i don't really know how the archi job situation is out there.
Reply 45
No, I'm unsure of how things are. From what I hear, all is good.

I guess there's no harm in applying. I feel a bit odd though saying " Hi, I live one the other side of the planet, can I have a job?"
It might work in your favour - the practice I got a job with said they've had students from the UK in the past and they really liked working with them. But yeah, obviously it's harder when it's that far away, but some people from our school go to Australia/Canada/US so can be done.
Reply 47
Well, I'm not limited to NZ, anywhere really. Would help if it were an English speaking nation though.

Where are you based, just out of interest?
Working in Switzerland (but I do speak German fluently).
The response rate was amazing though, 10 applications - 2 replied saying they'd filled the position, 6 interviews. And that's all without a follow-up phonecall. None of that depressing 50+ application sending and no replies that some of my friends seem to be going through in the UK.
Working in Switzerland (but I do speak German fluently).
The response rate was amazing though, 10 applications - 2 replied saying they'd filled the position, 6 interviews. And that's all without a follow-up phonecall. None of that depressing 50+ application sending and no replies that some of my friends seem to be going through in the UK.

How are you finding working in another country? do they use english in the office?
I speak cantonese, I met a town planner the other day and told me I shouldn't be worried about the lack of jobs, as I could leave the country to work abroad.

I am also considering taking up Arabic, a few of my friends speak arabic and i grew up with somalian friends when I was in secondary school and picked up some of the language.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
How are you finding working in another country? do they use english in the office?
I speak cantonese, I met a town planner the other day and told me I shouldn't be worried about the lack of jobs, as I could leave the country to work abroad.

I am also considering taking up Arabic, a few of my friends speak arabic and i grew up with somalian friends when I was in secondary school and picked up some of the language.

I haven't started yet :wink:
And no not really, they do speak it (and they have an english-speaking intern) but I know a few people that don't speak any german at all and applied to some practices (well, got the jobs vaguely through people at the university...) so I guess those speak English. In Switz, quite a few practices do write in their ad that they want good German skills.

Arabic might be good although in places like Dubai (:rolleyes:) they'd all speak English in the office anyway....
I'm in the process of applying for positions in America as i have plenty of family there only question is when the PEDR (or whatever) says we can applying to architecture related job and in the "construction industry" what do they mean, like would 3 months in a real estates company do the trick?
Reply 52
Original post by wackylinduzz
I'm in the process of applying for positions in America as i have plenty of family there only question is when the PEDR (or whatever) says we can applying to architecture related job and in the "construction industry" what do they mean, like would 3 months in a real estates company do the trick?

Lots of info here. Usually up to 3 months can't be counted in an adjacent profession like QS, building surveying or architectural journalism etc.

http://www.pedr.co.uk/faqs.asp?area=main

If you are still stuck your school mentor should be able to give you a definitive answer.
Reply 53
30 Tailored Cvs sent out, contacted 50 firms "Sorry nothing available". Getting frustrating now...............
Reply 54
Original post by SlackS.
30 Tailored Cvs sent out, contacted 50 firms "Sorry nothing available". Getting frustrating now...............

Are they hard copies? That's why you shouldn't bother with tailored hard-copy CVs. It's much better to send out emails. That way, you can send like 10-20 per day in a fraction of the time.
Reply 55
No they are all emails, but i've been reading the practice philosophy first and then tailoring my covering letter to it. Started to send out as many as possible now...
Reply 56
Original post by SlackS.
No they are all emails, but i've been reading the practice philosophy first and then tailoring my covering letter to it. Started to send out as many as possible now...

Ah right. I also started off like that but then I started to send more homogenous cover letters. This way you can target more practices in a shorter amount of time so it will increase your chances. I managed to get a few interview offers from some pretty big practices despite not tailoring my cover letter to them. A fairly large number of practices will ignore your application if it isn't tailored to them (god forbid the insolence of us) although probably a higher amount won't really care.
Reply 57
Yeah I've made a decent covering letter that suits most practices now and trying to send out as many as possible. BTW was your CV a interactive PDF or just a standard PDF, as im thinking of making my Cv into a mini portfolio/CV. Also my parents have suggested working for free so i can continue on to part 2 as the Uni says i should have a placement by 28th October or the year is deferred. The idea of working for free does not seem attractive to me, makes the three years seem useless.
Reply 58
Don't work for free, please. It devalues the trade, people working for free is what left us with bugger all jobs in the first place. Why would someone want to pay £18k a year when they can persuade someone to do it for free.....or for minimum wage? It makes me mad, very mad. I could get a job as a cleaner in a brothel and it'd pay more.

Another question regarding portfolios. I've got an online portfolio at Carbonmade and all I've been doing is sticking the URL on my CV. I'm not sure if people like this or not? Any ideas?

Also, what sort of thing have you all put in your portfolio? Do the images have full explanations?
Original post by SlackS.
Yeah I've made a decent covering letter that suits most practices now and trying to send out as many as possible. BTW was your CV a interactive PDF or just a standard PDF, as im thinking of making my Cv into a mini portfolio/CV. Also my parents have suggested working for free so i can continue on to part 2 as the Uni says i should have a placement by 28th October or the year is deferred. The idea of working for free does not seem attractive to me, makes the three years seem useless.

Do not work for free!!! would be a complete waste, you would end up spending money on food and travel etc its not worth it at all. you will also lose any passion for the job if you know yourself that you are dragging yourself out of bed everyday to work for nothing.
Why not do a Masters instead of doing a year out? if you have the money to not need to work for free why not do this. Most universities will take on students for Part 2 if they havnt had experience over the year, if you have a good portfolio, whihc you would have with a Masters

Original post by Andeh_
Don't work for free, please. It devalues the trade, people working for free is what left us with bugger all jobs in the first place. Why would someone want to pay £18k a year when they can persuade someone to do it for free.....or for minimum wage? It makes me mad, very mad. I could get a job as a cleaner in a brothel and it'd pay more.

Another question regarding portfolios. I've got an online portfolio at Carbonmade and all I've been doing is sticking the URL on my CV. I'm not sure if people like this or not? Any ideas?

Also, what sort of thing have you all put in your portfolio? Do the images have full explanations?

Personally I don't think any one will look at the link. If you think about the amount of cv's a practice receives, I know my office received around 300 and only 4 places were offered, there not going to bother typing the address in let alone look at it. Unless you cv is really interesting and impressive (in which case you probably wouldn't need to show them).
I would say to attach a link to it in emails but so they can just click on it. I would say do this instead of attaching PDF's of cv's, as people wont bother spending the time to open them.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending