The Student Room Group

Is an access course really as hard as my family keeps telling me?

Hi there!
I'm Laura and i've just joined. I'm starting an english and humanities access course in september, to hopefully go to birmingham uni next year and study archaeology and ancient history. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself, but as time goes on, my family keeps telling me how difficult it's going to be and I'm starting to wonder what I've got myself into! After my interviews for college etc, I've not gone into this with my eyes closed, I know it's going to be an intense year, but my family make it seem like I'm going to hell for a year...
I am passionate about archaeology and am desparate to get to uni before its too late.
I guess my question is, what are everyone elses experiences on access courses? are there any tips on how to make it easier? and totally off subject, are universities really accepting of mature students? or is it harder to get a place being older? (albeit i'll only be 24 when i start!)
thankyou! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Access courses are a piece of piss compared to degrees. Of course, I did a science access course, so humanities based might be slightly different.

It seems to be the case with most access courses that they'll throw you in at the deep end to begin with in an attempt to weed out all the people that are going to drop out/aren't dedicated enough and then the workload will slightly ease off as time goes on, provided you keep on top with everything.

In my experience, from what I was told at interview, universities actually prefer mature students on acount of them being....well, more mature. However some places (like Imperial in London) don't accept Access students as they consider them to be less well-prepared for the rigours of higher education than A-level students (which is true to an extent, A-levels are far harder than an Access course). Shouldn't be a problem with Birmingham though.

If you're genuninely interested and passionate, you'll find access a breeze. Having said that, Access courses tend to have a very high drop out rate, because people forget how hard studying actually is. I remember of the 40 or so people who began the access course I was on, only about 6 of us were left by the end.
Reply 2
I'm answering the last 2 questions, re: universities, don't know anything about Access unfortunately. Universities are welcoming (this only reflects my experience at one university, though) and don't make it more difficult for mature students. HTH and welcome to TSR :smile:
Reply 3
Hi Laura, You will have to work hard but the course wont be hell, you sound motivated and that is the key factor, i was scared id fail before i started my course but once i got going i really enjoyed it. My tips for making it easier would be to do as much reading and research around your subjects as you can, and forming study groups with others from your classes is useful too.

and yes universities welcome mature students, don't feel you are disadvantaged because of your age.
Reply 4
its no where near as hard as a levels thats for sure.
i found my tutors desperately wanted you to pass so they bent over backwards for you!!
you arent given loads and loads of work at the same time, at the most, 2 assignments.

good luck, and im sure you will do fine.

ps. i just did an access course with minimum effort (seriously) and passed with flying colours....

EDIT: wasn't sounding cocky...just saying its pretty damn easy and you get alot of help!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lauraaimee
Hi there!
I'm Laura and i've just joined. I'm starting an english and humanities access course in september, to hopefully go to birmingham uni next year and study archaeology and ancient history. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself, but as time goes on, my family keeps telling me how difficult it's going to be and I'm starting to wonder what I've got myself into! After my interviews for college etc, I've not gone into this with my eyes closed, I know it's going to be an intense year, but my family make it seem like I'm going to hell for a year...
I am passionate about archaeology and am desparate to get to uni before its too late.
I guess my question is, what are everyone elses experiences on access courses? are there any tips on how to make it easier? and totally off subject, are universities really accepting of mature students? or is it harder to get a place being older? (albeit i'll only be 24 when i start!)

Hi!
I went part time for my Access course (English lit and History) but I so wish I'd done it full time now. It's ridiculously easy. Even if full time is three times as hard as part time, it'd still be piss-easy.
I managed to get 54/60 credits at distinction and the remainders at merit - and I have four children!
I'm sure you will cope. Any questions, just ask :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
wow! that's a huge drop out rate!
i've sort of prepared myself over the past couple of months. i found out a bit of information on what topics we'd be studying in the different subjects and have been making myself write about them. it might not be in essay form but it's a start!
maybe i should stop thinking i'm at a disadvantaged being a bit older and treat it as an advantage! lol :smile: thankyou!
Reply 7
I completed my access course last year and have just finished my first year at university.

Universities welcome mature students. I applied to 5 universities and I got offers from all but one of them (I was interviewed but messed it up).

I would suggest you start now to write a personal statement (do a search in this forum for more details how), you will be far too busy when your course starts to give it the time it deserves, and from the two interviews I attended it is clear that it forms a large part of their assessment. You might also find the courses and universities you want to apply for. This will also make your first few weeks of term easier.

As for the course itself, I did not find it easy, but I did not find it impossible either. I would suggest you need to be organised, need to manage your time well and need to plan well to keep ahead of your assignments. Only when I slipped behind did I struggle. The full time course is 15 hours a week, but for History, you will need to do at least 5-7 hours reading a week. I also did English and Politics, so needed about 6-10 hours a week for them. You need to complete 20 assignments, and at times they come thick and fast. You also need to find maybe 8 hours for writing and editing of each one. This will prepare you well for university, as the hours and demands are about the same, albeit at a higher standard.

We also lost about half to two thirds of the students on our course. People are often shocked that they need to do the work and while many feel they are committed, there is nothing like an essay deadline to show just how committed they really are. I also have to say I met many great people and keep in touch with most. I would also agree that if you survive until Easter, the staff will bend over backwards to get you through the course. I would suggest if you find before that you have a problem, talk to your tutor. Mine was brilliant and I cannot praise him enough.

You will no doubt find as I did, that the year will fly by, and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. I would certainly recommend it to those who wish to get to university.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Luckily I've actually already started my personal statement! my dad is a teacher in a sixth form college and a collegue is giving me a hand making sure it's all up to scratch! I'm quite shocked at how many people have dropped out of each of your classes! But everything I've read here has put my mind at ease. (sort of!lol) I'm pretty sure my family are only trying to help but they really did scare me lol obviously i want to work hard, but i also want to meet new people and have some good times!
Reply 9
Original post by jeffercake

Original post by jeffercake
Hi!
I went part time for my Access course (English lit and History) but I so wish I'd done it full time now. It's ridiculously easy. Even if full time is three times as hard as part time, it'd still be piss-easy.
I managed to get 54/60 credits at distinction and the remainders at merit - and I have four children!
I'm sure you will cope. Any questions, just ask :smile:

WOW that's impressive! i'll be very disappointed if i don't get equally good grades as i don't have kids! well done to you!!
I should be starting Access in September and, to be honest, I wouldn't mind if a large number of people dropped out.
Reply 11
Same i am a bit worried about how diffifult it is going to be , but i am still very eager to do well! i like you am starting an access to psychology in september and to be honest i literaly cannot wait! only 2 months (ish) to go! wooohooo! GOOD LUCK! x
Reply 12
i'm glad i'm not the only one who can't wait to go back to school! if i'd had been told i'd feel like this about going to school 10 years ago i would probably have laughed in your face! lol i've got my induction day next friday! am really excited about getting my timetable and meeting the people on my course lol good luck to you too! would be great to keep in touch if you like? help each other out when it gets tough? lol x
Reply 13
I did an access course full time this year. I found that the while the work wasn't particularly difficult there was a lot of it and I had to cut down my hours at work to make sure I could keep up, but with the extra money from ALG that wasn't to much of an issue. I thought we had a high drop out rate losing 8 people from our class of 25, but you guys have put us to shame! however everyone who finished it passed.

I would suggest getting separate folders for everything now and making sure you keep everything really organised, a few people who didn't do this in my class really struggled at the end of the year when it came to handing everything in. I used so much stationary (folders/plastic wallets/paper/dividers etc) it was ridiculous!

about half way through the course I threw a bit of a strop and wanted to quit, but once I got over that everything was fine and now I've finished it I can barely remember what I was stressing about! I do agree with the posts above, towards the end the college was doing everything in their power to get us through it. I can't talk for other colleges but we did 6 more units then we needed to so you can drop some, although they discouraged it until the last weeks of term when it was clear that we just did not have the time!
Reply 14
Original post by fairy
I did an access course full time this year. I found that the while the work wasn't particularly difficult there was a lot of it and I had to cut down my hours at work to make sure I could keep up, but with the extra money from ALG that wasn't to much of an issue. I thought we had a high drop out rate losing 8 people from our class of 25, but you guys have put us to shame! however everyone who finished it passed.

I would suggest getting separate folders for everything now and making sure you keep everything really organised, a few people who didn't do this in my class really struggled at the end of the year when it came to handing everything in. I used so much stationary (folders/plastic wallets/paper/dividers etc) it was ridiculous!

about half way through the course I threw a bit of a strop and wanted to quit, but once I got over that everything was fine and now I've finished it I can barely remember what I was stressing about! I do agree with the posts above, towards the end the college was doing everything in their power to get us through it. I can't talk for other colleges but we did 6 more units then we needed to so you can drop some, although they discouraged it until the last weeks of term when it was clear that we just did not have the time!

dont know why they make you do extra units. its really strange.
i dont think they even go on your certificate!!
Reply 15
no they don't because I had to go in the other day and select which ones I wanted on my certificate. They said to us it was to give everyone the best chance of passing? it does seem like a massive waste of time though!
Reply 16
Original post by fairy
no they don't because I had to go in the other day and select which ones I wanted on my certificate. They said to us it was to give everyone the best chance of passing? it does seem like a massive waste of time though!

They build in extra units so that if people fail a few or do badly they can still get the required 45 credits to pass. Also, having more units means that the tutor can pick only the merits or distinctions to go on the final grade certificate... leaving out as many pass grades as possible.
Original post by lauraaimee
Hi there!

Hey Laura :smile:

I've just finished my Access course and ended up getting Distinctions in every unit, which was the best in my class and possibly the best ever at my college since the graded access diploma came out.

Seriously it isn't that difficult. Stick to simple things and you will no doubt cope fine and get high grades.

Always take down notes in class.

Do what the teacher wants (for example, if the teacher says it's a good idea to put x in your assignment but you don't have to, make sure to include it!)

Begin assignments the day you get them, even if it's only writing a title and an introduction.

Read questions properly and if you don't understand them, make sure you speak to your tutor until you do.

Attend every lesson!

Buy books on your subjects and don't just rely on your college library. I honestly couldn't have done as well as I did without the books I had.

Make sure you're always in your teachers good books (this sounds like such a suck up, but they are the ones who grade your work) lol

When you've finished assignments, check themt over thoroughly to ensure no mistakes were made.

Follow these steps and you'll be completely fine!

I see you've already started your personal statement which is good. Make sure it's outstanding, it really is essential as I'm sure you already know :smile:

It's definitely not harder to get a place being an older student, this isn't an issue atall.

Stay on top of your work, develop a meticulous eye for detail when doing assignments, and attend all lessons!

You seem quite nervous about the work on the course which is how I was before I started, tbh this shows you're serious about succeeding and with that attitude you should do really well!

Good luck :tongue:

Edit: I forgot to also mention that it's a good idea not to just rush into beginning assignments without having done much research if it's required. Always plan them carefully! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Fairy and Accesstohe have given you some really good tips.

You will probably feel about 11 years old when you go and buy a load of lever arch files and plastic wallets at the beginning of term but believe me, it is worth it.
You are assessed on the portfolio you build as you go through the course so you need to retain and file every piece of graded work for the final moderation process. Theoretically if you don' t have the work - even though you completed it and perhaps got a distinction at the time - you will not get the final grade, so filing becomes ludicrously important.

Good luck!
Reply 19
Sounds like your family aren't being very supportive! If they've upset you at all, I'd let them know if I were you. You sound confident and intelligent and they shouldn't be knocking that right now! I think as long as you are prepared for what you're getting into, and passionate about the results you want, you'll go as far as you like :smile: Good luck with it all!

Quick Reply

Latest