The Student Room Group

Will a masters or phd overwrite a 2:2 and improve employabiity

I got a 2:2...will it make it irrelavant if i got a masters..x

Scroll to see replies

No.
Probably not no. It depends what you want to do; some employers specifically request you have a 2:1 or higher and may use filtering systems to get rid of applicants who do not have this, without even considering your masters.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Yes. I know a lecturer who got a third in his BA but a distinction in his masters, he is doing well for himself now, being a lecturer.
No. I'm still paying for my diabolical year 4 exams.
Reply 5
Getting a low masters in what would be considered an easy or just irrelevant subject would not. Getting an extremely good masters, in a decent/harder subject and course at a half decent university (which is still possible with a 2:2 with a lot of hard work and perseverance) probably would for most purposes.
Reply 6
Depends on what you want to do. For example, getting a 2.2 in a Psychology degree doesn't mean you can't apply for a PhD as most universities will accept you if you have a masters and some relevant experience proving you are of PhD level. So I suggest you do your research in to the field you want to go in before making any decisions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Millz
Yes. I know a lecturer who got a third in his BA but a distinction in his masters, he is doing well for himself now, being a lecturer.

Fail point. He wanted to go into academia/research. One of the few exceptions. In general, if you're looking to work in industry, it won't.
No it doesn't but a good masters may help to mitigate a lower undergrad degree.
Reply 9
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Fail point. He wanted to go into academia/research. One of the few exceptions. In general, if you're looking to work in industry, it won't.

Are you talking from experience?
Reply 10
In a lot of cases, yes. Many graduate schemes will filter out at a 2.1, but that's not the field everyone wants to do. It might not completely override it, but you can use a masters (particularly if you can get a distinction, or your dissertation published) to show something different and how you've improved. Tbh, you should only do a masters if you really want to do it. Its a lot of money and a hell of a lot of hard work to do something you don't really care about.

And for what its worth, none of my friends who got 2.2s have had a harder struggle than those who got 2.1s in getting a job, and after a short time of working, employers will be looking at your experience and what you can bring to them, rather than some essays you wrote a long time ago. If you really need to override a bad undergrad degree, work experience will be more beneficial than a masters.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Millz
Are you talking from experience?

I'm talking from excessive relatives, friends of friends and stories posted on TSR who have not done as well as they'd hoped and tried to cover it up with a masters. It didn't work.

Original post by ice_cube
In a lot of cases, yes. Many graduate schemes will filter out at a 2.1, but that's not the field everyone wants to do. It might not completely override it, but you can use a masters (particularly if you can get a distinction, or your dissertation published) to show something different and how you've improved. Tbh, you should only do a masters if you really want to do it. Its a lot of money and a hell of a lot of hard work to do something you don't really care about.

And for what its worth, none of my friends who got 2.2s have had a harder struggle than those who got 2.1s in getting a job, and after a short time of working, employers will be looking at your experience and what you can bring to them, rather than some essays you wrote a long time ago.

While I do generally agree with this, it doesn't seem to be the case with numeracy heavy professions (finance, actuary, accountancy, IB) where if you do well (1st or 2:1) and then proceed to a well-known company then it seems that it can become easier to land a post-qualified role in a high paying firm.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
It should, depending on which Masters you choose.

Unfortunately, you might find it hard to get onto a decent MA programme with only a 2:2.
if i fail to get a distinction in my msc masters - something that is looking likely (i need something like 82% in my dissertation to sneak a distinction), i am actually hoping that it does not overwrite my undergraduate degree :/
Reply 14
Original post by wanderlust.xx
I'm talking from excessive relatives, friends of friends and stories posted on TSR who have not done as well as they'd hoped and tried to cover it up with a masters. It didn't work.

While I do generally agree with this, it doesn't seem to be the case with numeracy heavy professions (finance, actuary, accountancy, IB) where if you do well (1st or 2:1) and then proceed to a well-known company then it seems that it can become easier to land a post-qualified role in a high paying firm.

I agree, that's what I meant by grad schemes, sorry.
Reply 15
Or is it just for the names? What is it like?
Reply 16
The point of getting a PhD is... to get a PhD. What's the point in having a job that doesn't pay very well? Because you enjoy the job more than other jobs that pay more.
I like science. I like research. Ergo I am doing a PhD.

Plus, for some jobs (e.g. any research really) you need one.
:facepalm2: Because you enjoy researching the subject.

(In advance I apologise for my lack of proper experience or knowledge but it seems pretty obvious to me)
Reply 18
It increases job prospects, especially within academia; it makes you a recognised expert in your chosen area; you enjoy the subject; you don't want to get a real job.
There was an interesting article in The Economist about how it's not much more beneficial than an MA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending