The Student Room Group

Will a masters or phd overwrite a 2:2 and improve employabiity

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by da_comeback
Im really sorry you feel that way....did you get a job? What was it in?

I'm studying for AAT (basic accountancy qualification) whilst working doing menial things as an accountant/admin noob :biggrin:. I just accept I'm not as good as other ppl. I just can't be bothered with all the fuss tbh.
Reply 81
There is a third option of a 'Graduate Diploma' which is a way of both upgrading your undergraduate degree and also acts as a conversion course from science to social science. The University of London offers them through LSE.
In short its the third year of a Bachelors degree but in a different discipline taken as a stand alone course.
Reply 82
Original post by M.Duggan
I'm studying for AAT (basic accountancy qualification) whilst working doing menial things as an accountant/admin noob :biggrin:. I just accept I'm not as good as other ppl. I just can't be bothered with all the fuss tbh.

Are you happy, though? And thats good...maybe it will lead to an accoutancy career?
x
Yeah I know that and thanks for the advice btw...

But the problem is that most generic graduate recruitment schemes dont even look at pg qualifcations..They use the 2:1 minimum to filter some people out...its horrid but makes sense at the end of the day...

Thats what im worried about

Hey.....

I'm a psychology graduate with a 2.2, but I managed to get on practitioner doctorates which will enable me to practice as a Chartered Psychologist (which is where I want to be).

All is not lost with a 2.2- but I know exactly where you're coming from. Unless job recruiters look at my postgrad qualifications and work experience, even with doctoral qualifications, I'm filtered out from graduate jobs which require graduates with 2.1s. But luckly, jobs which require PhDs don't tend to mention or require 2.1s, so I can theoretically bypass some of the competitive graduate jobs.

I would get some good experience and perhaps work up the career ladder within organisations? Alternatively look out for postgrad courses and apply for jobs that require applicants with postgrad jobs. I managed to obtain graduate jobs last year with my postgrad qualifications.

Hope this helps
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
Oh right...well I did Biology lol...and thats good new for your brother then...how did he manage that?

He started on 27k, left the company (he's a fraud analyst at a bank) to go work for Mercedes... went on a leaving-drinks-do for one of his old colleagues from the first job, bumped into his old boss, got offered his old job back with 10k more and he got to edit the contract. Jammy sod...

Biology opens up the doors for many things, surely? Good luck anyway :smile:
Reply 86

Now now..there is no need to swear at all.. if you are moderator please feel free to warn me..and you should really feel sorry for me baby....the MULTIPLE threads show how stressed I am in the situation and how i want as much repeated info as possible before i make my DIFFICULT decision..

p.s. I just love how you not only noticed that I have been creating these multple threads (and been in the student room long enough to notice and how you presented links to every single one of them!...Single..are you?
(edited 12 years ago)
would definitely recommend a masters...majority of the graduate employers would overlook your 2:2 if you have a masters with good grades to go along with it...
Now now..there is no need to swear at all.. if you are moderator please feel free to warn me..and you should really feel sorry for me baby....the MULTIPLE threads show how stressed I am in the situation and how i want as much info as possible before i make my DIFFICULT decision..

p.s. I just love how you not only noticed that I have been creating these multple threads (and been in the student room long enough to notice and how you presented links to every single one of them!...Single..are you?

Why should we feel sorry for you when quite clearly you are being belligerent and quite frankly rude?

I'm glad you failed.

Have fun.

Goodbye.
Reply 89
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Why should we feel sorry for you when quite clearly you are being belligerent and quite frankly rude?

I'm glad you failed.

Have fun.

Goodbye.

I am not rude. This is MY STUDENT ROOM ACCOUNT....I think I have the right to produce multiple threads and say what i want without being bemoaned or billed as names such as belligerent, rude or immature....

Failed!!....NEVER KICK SOMEONE WHEN THEY ARE DOWN BOY!...It will come back at you ten fold espicaillly when you call yourself an aspiring law student...and I dont want people to feel sorry for me..I just want impartial advice from a stranger..at what point did you think I did?

Take care...

Please dont stay in touch and when i want legal advice, I know who i wont come to
Reply 90
Original post by Aramiss18
Stop being so melodramatic and grow up. People will need details to give you good advice. If this is how immature you acted during your degree it's no wonder you got a 2.2.

And of course please feel free to come and say that to my face dear..xx
I am not rude. This is MY STUDENT ROOM ACCOUNT....I think I have the right to produce multiple threads and say what i want without being bemoaned or billed as names such as belligerent, rude or immature....

Failed!!....NEVER KICK SOMEONE WHEN THEY ARE DOWN BOY!...It will come back at you ten fold espicaillly when you call yourself an aspiring law student...and I dont want people to feel sorry for me..I just want impartial advice from a stranger..at what point did you think I did?

Take care...

Please dont stay in touch and when i want legal advice, I know who i wont come to

I got A*A*Aa.

Have fun kicking me over the 1UMS I missed 3 A*s by if you want :rolleyes:

Also, please learn to spell before posting again.

Goodbye.
I just realised your username is shockingly bad considering the quality of your comebacks.
Reply 93
Now now..there is no need to swear at all.. if you are moderator please feel free to warn me..and you should really feel sorry for me baby....the MULTIPLE threads show how stressed I am in the situation and how i want as much info as possible before i make my DIFFICULT decision..

Why the hell would I feel sorry for you? I might've if it were just the one thread, but it's not and I'm surprised you didn't fail your degree with your attitude. You already have as much information as possible. You're only posting more threads because you're not getting the information that you want. You ****ed up - suck it up and deal with it because you're not the only one.

Oh I'm sorry that I have eyes and I notice that your threads are all the same - but a whinging moron like you is hard to avoid. I find it quite ironic that you assume I'm single because I posted a few links in 2 minutes when you seem to spend most of your time asking the same question over and over again on here. I wonder if you did this while you were still at university? It might explain a few things...
If the requirements for a job are a 2.1 having a masters will not cover it up. A masters should never be looked on as a way of covering up an undesirable mark at undergraduate. You are better off getting some work experience than getting an expensive masters that will do little to enhance your profile.
No it doesn't increase employability at all regardless of your undergraduate grade.

Masters degrees straight out of undergrad are pointless wrt to employment.
It depends on the subject. I'm close to finishing my fourth year teaching English abroad. I'm going to study an MA TESOL at the University of Nottingham this September.

I have a 2:2 honours degree from a former polytechnic. You need to have at least a 2:2 to be accepted onto the MA TESOL at the University of Nottingham.

The University of Nottingham is ranked in the top 1% of all universities worldwide.

I currently work for a company that employs teachers to teach English at university level in Saudi Arabia.

I currently get 30 days paid vacation. When I have an MA TESOL, I'll be able to get a job as a direct hire with a university, instead of working through a company.

With an MA, I'll get at least 2 months paid vacation, more money and the option of working in curriculum development, instead of only teaching.

In the field of teaching English abroad, an MA TESOL opens doors. Theoretically, I could also gain employment as a university lecturer in the UK.

So, it all depends on the subject. In my case, an MA is definitely worth it, 100%.
Reply 97
Love of the subject. I don't want to think of a life without maths!
Reply 98
because not everyone goes to university with the singular goal of getting on to a grad scheme
Reply 99
I wouldn't say 'completely pointless' as it is another line on your CV and shows that you're a cut above those with just a BSc/BA. The job market sucks at the minute anyway, so if you've got the brain and the passion you'd be an idiot not to pursue further study. That's just my opinion by the way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending