The Student Room Group

Which specific Access Course for Physiotherapy 2012???

I am confused and undecided to which Access to HE Course to enroll on this September for a physiotherapy place in 2012. (my GCSE'S were 9B'S 1D)
I'm 25 years old.

I have phoned about 15 universities to double check their requirements via an Access course. Almost all require an Access to Science or Health Studies or Science related and some mentioned specifically for a high content of Biology on the course.

These are the courses i'm toying over (I DON'T WANT TO REGRET PICKING THE WRONG COURSE AS I'VE HEARD BEFORE ;

1. Access to HE Science and Health Studies
2. Access to HE Science Diploma
And then I stumbled across a another course -
3.Nutrition, Physiotherapy and Allied Health Professions (Medicine and Biomedical Science) - OCNLR Access to Higher which consists of:
- Medical Sciences - Microbiology, Nutrition, Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Chemistry and Biological Chemistry
- Health Issues
- Study Skills including Mathematics
Has anyone done this 3RD course??

I'm more drawn to course number 3, as it actually has physiotherapy in the title and I think I would enjoy and excel the most on this but haven't asked the universities yet about this course, have to ring all of them again for the third time lol. And all the courses mentioned are QAA approved.
I asked the tutor of the 3rd course and was the told there would be between 21-24 L3 credits available for BIOLOGY within the course which is a sufficient amount of credits for the universities I have asked.

The problem is am a bit hesitant towards the Access to Science course as there is alot of Level3 Chemistry and Physics involved, not very keen on putting myself in that situation where i'm having to do A- Level physics and struggling.
Its not like universities ask for A-Level Physics or Chemistry as a physiotherapy entry requirement.

If anyone with any experience of this could shed some light to which would be best from any personal experiences and has anyone done course number 3 for physio?

it would much appreciated as time is running out for me to enroll. I'm sorry for the long read.
Reply 1
Original post by BBary
I am confused and undecided to which Access to HE Course to enroll on this September for a physiotherapy place in 2012. (my GCSE'S were 9B'S 1D)
I'm 25 years old.

I have phoned about 15 universities to double check their requirements via an Access course. Almost all require an Access to Science or Health Studies or Science related and some mentioned specifically for a high content of Biology on the course.

These are the courses i'm toying over (I DON'T WANT TO REGRET PICKING THE WRONG COURSE AS I'VE HEARD BEFORE ;

3.Nutrition, Physiotherapy and Allied Health Professions (Medicine and Biomedical Science) - OCNLR Access to Higher which consists of:
- Health Issues

I'm more drawn to course number 3, as it actually has physiotherapy in the title and I think I would enjoy and excel the most on this but haven't asked the universities yet about this course, have to ring all of them again for the third time lol. And all the courses mentioned are QAA approved.
I asked the tutor of the 3rd course and was the told there would be between 21-24 L3 credits available for BIOLOGY within the course which is a sufficient amount of credits for the universities I have asked.

The problem is am a bit hesitant towards the Access to Science course as there is alot of Level3 Chemistry and Physics involved, not very keen on putting myself in that situation where i'm having to do A- Level physics and struggling.
Its not like universities ask for A-Level Physics or Chemistry as a physiotherapy entry requirement.

If anyone with any experience of this could shed some light to which would be best from any personal experiences and has anyone done course number 3 for physio?

it would much appreciated as time is running out for me to enroll. I'm sorry for the long read.

Hi BBary
i try to help you as much as i can for a physio degree you need to do rather a science related access course or do a more prespecific access course such as Access to He diploma in health but make sure you do enough science that is included in the health access diploma.Access courses such as access to allied health professions like you have mentioned in your thread like physiotherapy and allied health professions would be more prespecific geared towards a physiotheraphy career
You would also need to do some work shadowing experience a physio in a range of different physio areas in a hospital to get a more general understanding in what working as a physiotherapist entails
have you look into this BBary? at all as most universities will require not just a pre-specific access diploma that is geared towards physio but would also require you to show show insight of a role of a physiotherapist and you could write about this work shadowing experience in your personal statement when you apply through UCAS
Also the mere fact you have some excellent GCSE grades will also help you when you apply
In my experience most universities who offer the physiotheraphy degree are more concerned that a potential physio applicant has done some biology or even human biology really alongside other subjects
If i can be of any further help just ask me.
Reply 2
Thanks for your sound advice wizardTop,

Are you suggesting the 3rd course I mentioned ( Nutrition, Physiotherapy and Allied Health Professions (Medicine and Biomedical Science) - OCNLR Access to Higher ) would be appropriate for entry to a physiotherapy degree? I just don't want to limit my options in terms of universities,

I am aware I need to have work experience in some capacity. I have started applying and putting my name down on lists at hospitals, I haven't found it easy so far, they are either booked up, or not able to due confidentiality. But I'm determined to get some shadowing even if its for half an hour, as I still have around 3 months until I have to send my PS. I am also looking into some voluntary work too.

If you had to do any shadowing for your course, how did you go about it. What would be the best way? To ring up or ask in person to hospitals, nursing homes, private clinics, sports clubs? I feel if just ring up, theres more chance of them not bothering or am i wrong?
And I am fully aware that shadowing a physiotherapist in a NHS hospital is the most important as the universities and physiotherapy degree's are geared towards working in the NHS.

Which Access course and degree have been study for ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by BBary
Thanks for your sound advice wizardTop,

Are you suggesting the 3rd course I mentioned ( Nutrition, Physiotherapy and Allied Health Professions (Medicine and Biomedical Science) - OCNLR Access to Higher ) would be appropriate for entry to a physiotherapy degree? I just don't want to limit my options in terms of universities,

I am aware I need to have work experience in some capacity. I have started applying and putting my name down on lists at hospitals, I haven't found it easy so far, they are either booked up, or not able to due confidentiality. But I'm determined to get some shadowing even if its for half an hour, as I still have around 3 months until I have to send my PS. I am also looking into some voluntary work too.

If you had to do any shadowing for your course, how did you go about it. What would be the best way? To ring up or ask in person to hospitals, nursing homes, private clinics, sports clubs? I feel if just ring up, theres more chance of them not bothering or am i wrong?
And I am fully aware that shadowing a physiotherapist in a NHS hospital is the most important as the universities and physiotherapy degree's are geared towards working in the NHS.

Which Access course and degree have been study for ?

Hi BBary my advice would be to contact the various universities who do this physiotherapy degree and ask them would this particular graded access diploma ( Nutrition, Physiotherapy and Allied Health Professions (Medicine and Biomedical Science) - OCNLR Access to Higher ) would be appropriate for entry to a physiotherapy degree? and i would also suggest you try to get in touch with the particular admisson tutor for that physiotheraphy degree if possiable or if you cant the admission department at the universities you wish to apply to in 2012

It is really important BBary that you find out know which of the access courses u mentioned would give u the best chance to be considered for a physiotherapy degree,i still say the more pre-specific geared access graded diploma towards a certain career pathway would be better but you really need to check it with those universities you are considering at the mo so u you will know yourself which one they will accept
work experiencewise you need to phone up the releveant physiotheraphy department and ask to speak to who ever is in charge if possiable whether this is a physiodepartment at a hospital,sports club etc and tell them u need some work shadowing experience etc
i am sure these people have been contacted before so will be quite use to being contacted about it even if u only manage a few days here and there it will go down well with these particular universities who offer the physiotheraphy degree

My First degree was in Sociology and i just decided to go back into education and go into a health career myself.Just completed a Pre-access course in Health and waiting to see if i am on the next level 3 graded access diploma in Health at the same college
I might also need to contact some hospitals for work shadowing experience yet as well
good luck BBary with ur access course,if i can be of any further help u know where i am
Reply 4
Original post by BBary
I'm 25 years old.

- Health Issues

Hi, I've just completed an access course and will be starting my physio degree in September. All of the access courses you have listed look like they would be good to apply to physio. (As long as they have a good enough biology content, which I've been told by unis is 15/60 credits at bare minimum.)

Access to Science will be your most respected option if you want somewhere like Cardiff or Nottingham, but the others should be fine to apply there too. If you think you would do better at the others, then by all means it is better to get a higher grade in those, than struggle with the Chemistry and Physics of your second option. Just send all the unis you are interested in a break-down of the subjects and their respective level and credit value and get the peace of mind from an email from their admissions department saying 'yes that's fine'.

In terms of work experience: Have you tried contacting a small 'local' hospital? In my experience it is easier to get work experience there than at the larger ones. When I applied for mine, they actually let me jump to the head of the queue because I was in my early 20s and they were so sick of uninterested school kids coming in and playing on their I-phones all day. Not really fair, as I'm sure some of the school 'kids' were really keen, but I was still grilled by the head of the department to make sure I was a worthy candidate.

If you have any more questions I would be happy to help if I can. Good luck!

Edit: Sorry to pry, but what was your D in for GCSE? If it was maths, English or Science you will have to take it again, or make sure it is covered sufficiently in the access course. If it was DT or Geography no need to worry :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by BBary

- Health Issues

My advice would be to ask each college to supply a breakdown of their Access course specifying the number of science-specific credits available then pick your top 6-7 universities and ask them to clarify which course would be most suitable.
In my (limited) experience, some colleges are reluctant to share this information with you pre-enrolment. I also found that those were the colleges who taught the least amount of science-specific credits. There is a wide variation between courses so you need to do enough research to make you feel confident that you can/have made the right choice.
My experience is limited. I studied an Access to Science course this year, there were several applicants to Physio on the course, only one got a place and she already had A-level Biology. I would summise from their experiences that you need to have at least 30 science-specific credits to get onto a physio course .... our course only had 27. I am sure that there is someone else on TSR who has got onto a physio course from access this year who could advise you - perhaps try the nursing/med forums?
From what you have written, the 3rd course sounds most applicable.
Good luck!
Reply 6
Thanks for taking the time to reply. And SeaJay, thankfully the 'D' at GCSE'S was for French.

k8k, even though your course was an "Access to Science" it still only contained 27 credits for all the science? What were the other credits for?

About work experience, in the last week, I have managed to get about 6 days shadowing a couple of physiotherapists at a special needs school with children with all kinds of difficulties. I have already completed two days and even helped out with some hydrotherapy for the children. And also have physically seen an external orthotist taking casts of the children s legs to make specific AFO'S, knee braces as they also wore leg gaiters too.

I'm still finding hard to gain any kind of experience at a hospital. Do you think if i'm not able to, it will be a big hindrance to my application? I do understand the importance of gaining experience shadowing in a hospital setting especially NHS but its getting close to application time and i'm kind of panicking to whether I should even apply this year with no hospital work experience as of yet .
Reply 7
Original post by BBary
Thanks for taking the time to reply. And SeaJay, thankfully the 'D' at GCSE'S was for French.

k8k, even though your course was an "Access to Science" it still only contained 27 credits for all the science? What were the other credits for?

About work experience, in the last week, I have managed to get about 6 days shadowing a couple of physiotherapists at a special needs school with children with all kinds of difficulties. I have already completed two days and even helped out with some hydrotherapy for the children. And also have physically seen an external orthotist taking casts of the children s legs to make specific AFO'S, knee braces as they also wore leg gaiters too.

I'm still finding hard to gain any kind of experience at a hospital. Do you think if i'm not able to, it will be a big hindrance to my application? I do understand the importance of gaining experience shadowing in a hospital setting especially NHS but its getting close to application time and i'm kind of panicking to whether I should even apply this year with no hospital work experience as of yet .

You should absolutely apply! Universities are well aware of how difficult it is to gain work experience in hospitals, and, although important, work experience is just one of the facets of your application. You are probably already aware of the following breakdown, but here are the other things to make up an application.

- Grades - (to show you are bright enough to do the course)
- Experience & Evidence of research - (to show you are self motivated and understand the role)
- Evidence of position of responsibility (to show leadership skills and trustworthiness)
- Job/extra curriculars - (to show teamwork skills and that you can juggle studying and still acheive well whilst doing other activities)
- Reasons for choosing the course
- Who you are (personality)

It sounds like you've got some good work experience there. Could you do some volunteer work in a hospital/care home? Also - network through those physios you are shadowing - they are bound to have contacts, and if they like you, they might help you get a hospital placement. Good luck!
Reply 9
I know this is from a while ago but I wondered what course you went for in the end, and if you were successful? I am currently in a similar position and looking at course options before I apply

Quick Reply