The Student Room Group

Registered Nurses/Nursing Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sophi12
The hospitals I've been to for placement allow one plain wedding band, but other than that, the dress code is bare below the elbow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you sophi:smile: think i d have to get used to not wearing an engagement ring at work
Great to see this thread come to life! Second year adult student nurse checking in :smile:
Original post by Salchow
Great to see this thread come to life! Second year adult student nurse checking in :smile:

Hey:smile: hope we get even more of us as time goes on:smile: not an sn till september and getting ever more impatient
1st year ld nurse checking in
hope everyone is feeling positive for those who are still awaiting a decision !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
1st year ld nurse checking in
hope everyone is feeling positive for those who are still awaiting a decision !

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey:smile: i feel lucky in the sense i only had to wait 3 weeks for a decision for my first choice then just withdrew from all the rest
does anyone have any suggestions of how to learn the anatomy of all the systems as i am completely unable to draw anything that looks remotely like an organ?
Original post by claireestelle
does anyone have any suggestions of how to learn the anatomy of all the systems as i am completely unable to draw anything that looks remotely like an organ?

You can get anatomy colouring books, flash cards... lots of things out there. Youtube is also great.
Original post by ForestCat
You can get anatomy colouring books, flash cards... lots of things out there. Youtube is also great.

I ve got a flashcard app i ve been using but my anatomy workbook could possibly be better so will check out amazon for a new colouring book:smile:

I ve watched a couple of youtube videos on homeostasis which were great so will keep using youtube then:smile:

are there actually anatomy flashcards out there to buy ?
I ve got a flashcard app i ve been using but my anatomy workbook could possibly be better so will check out amazon for a new colouring book:smile:

I ve watched a couple of youtube videos on homeostasis which were great so will keep using youtube then:smile:

are there actually anatomy flashcards out there to buy ?

Yes, by Netters, or I think Greys' does some. But I wouldn't buy any yet. They are very detailed. Wait until you start your course because chances are your uni won't teach (or expect you to know) any where near that level of detail.

Khanacademy and khanacademymedicine are great channels on youtube for getting a good understanding of things :smile:
Yes, by Netters, or I think Greys' does some. But I wouldn't buy any yet. They are very detailed. Wait until you start your course because chances are your uni won't teach (or expect you to know) any where near that level of detail.

Khanacademy and khanacademymedicine are great channels on youtube for getting a good understanding of things :smile:

Thank you, definetly dont want to learn more than i need to at the moment so will hold off buying flashcards:smile:

Thank you, i will check those channels out today:smile: if only i d known to use youtube when i did my biology a level:P
Can anybody tell me what sort of pharmacology/ medicine management things you learn in 1st year?:smile:
Can anybody tell me what sort of pharmacology/ medicine management things you learn in 1st year?:smile:

Probably very little. Mainly drug calculations. To be honest, we barely did any pharmacology at all (struggling to remember being taught any).

I know you're excited to start but try and enjoy your freedom beforehand. You'll have plenty of time to learn all this at uni :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We did very little throughout the course tbh. Some was incorporated into modules such as salbutamol and GTN in the acutely ill adult module but overall there wasn't a massive emphasis on pharmacology (or at least not as much as I was expecting). We did stuff on medicines management in all three years, but the first year probably went as far as the 5 R's of drug admin. Like ForestCat has said though, don't worry too much about all of this, you'll get introduced to it all as you go through your course.
Probably very little. Mainly drug calculations. To be honest, we barely did any pharmacology at all (struggling to remember being taught any).

I know you're excited to start but try and enjoy your freedom beforehand. You'll have plenty of time to learn all this at uni :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, so mainly knowing maths than the actual way drugs work then:P

I am enjoying my freedom but since my foundation degree has only been 2 days a week for a past two years i ve actually kind of become bored of having so much free time, something i d never thought to be possible:P

hence wanting to learn anything useful as i ve nothing left i want to do in this stupid amount of spare time:P
Thank you, so mainly knowing maths than the actual way drugs work then:P

I am enjoying my freedom but since my foundation degree has only been 2 days a week for a past two years i ve actually kind of become bored of having so much free time, something i d never thought to be possible:P

hence wanting to learn anything useful as i ve nothing left i want to do in this stupid amount of spare time:P

Yeah, they never really teach you the way the drugs work. The main things you'll need to know for drugs are: why do you use them, what are the typical doses (what are the safe doses), how do you administer the drug, side effects, and contra-indications. But there is little point looking at drugs now, until you know the common ones you'll come across in practice.
Original post by moonkatt
We did very little throughout the course tbh. Some was incorporated into modules such as salbutamol and GTN in the acutely ill adult module but overall there wasn't a massive emphasis on pharmacology (or at least not as much as I was expecting). We did stuff on medicines management in all three years, but the first year probably went as far as the 5 R's of drug admin. Like ForestCat has said though, don't worry too much about all of this, you'll get introduced to it all as you go through your course.

I ve taken salbutamol in the past so got inside knowledge for that drug:smile:
Are you adult branch moonkatt?:smile:
I wonder if theres a possibilty of more emphasis on medication for mh student nurses after 1st year or not
I ve taken salbutamol in the past so got inside knowledge for that drug:smile:
Are you adult branch moonkatt?:smile:
I wonder if theres a possibilty of more emphasis on medication for mh student nurses after 1st year or not

I've been a registered nurse for a while now (adult trained). :tongue:

There will be emphasis on medication management and pharmacology for MH branch, think about what drugs MH patients may have. Depot injections, SSRI's, sedatives and so on. You may also need to give medication for general health conditions.
Yeah, they never really teach you the way the drugs work. The main things you'll need to know for drugs are: why do you use them, what are the typical doses (what are the safe doses), how do you administer the drug, side effects, and contra-indications. But there is little point looking at drugs now, until you know the common ones you'll come across in practice.

thank you, i wont worry about anything drug related till i start then:smile: i d actually been thinking the word for contra-indications was contradictions all this time, my brains not the best with long words:P
thank you, i wont worry about anything drug related till i start then:smile: i d actually been thinking the word for contra-indications was contradictions all this time, my brains not the best with long words:P

Don't worry, we all get words mixed up. Just wait until you see some of the drug names :wink:
Original post by amyc123
Third year adult nurse.

Happy to answer questions :smile:

Hey Amy! I'm starting Adilt Nursingin October and just to ask you a few questions.

What was your timetable like in the first year? ( if you can remember)

When did you finish all of your exams and assignments? Like when did your summer holiday start

Is the academic part of Nursing hard? Do I need to train myself now to revise for the exams?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending