The Student Room Group

Registered Nurses/Nursing Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'd suggest speaking to her, telling her the things you've just told us. (obviously only what you're comfortable saying to her). Just explain that it's a trival matter which has been blown way out of proportion and you dont understand why it needs to break up a group of friends.
I think you were perfectly right with what you were saying in the first place, its no big deal, its just simply asking her to be a tad more considerate and be quiet in short. She's 29 and should grow up and stop being so childish over things.
They are your friends as well as hers and there is no reason you shouldnt be spending time with them and feeling how you feel just because of one girl and an overreaction!
Original post by Becky_90
I'd suggest speaking to her, telling her the things you've just told us. (obviously only what you're comfortable saying to her). Just explain that it's a trival matter which has been blown way out of proportion and you dont understand why it needs to break up a group of friends.
I think you were perfectly right with what you were saying in the first place, its no big deal, its just simply asking her to be a tad more considerate and be quiet in short. She's 29 and should grow up and stop being so childish over things.
They are your friends as well as hers and there is no reason you shouldnt be spending time with them and feeling how you feel just because of one girl and an overreaction!

I would like to speak to her. However she's so agressive and confrontational I quite frankly can't deal with it right now and don't want to know. I KNOW i'm being childish about it by just not speaking to her anymore..however i'm just tired really :frown: I've spoken to her once and she just flipped out and I was really scared.

I've spoken to my friends and they said they're happy and it's not going to change things etc. I feel a bit sad that it's been ME thats had to sit elsewhere..but i'm confident enough to sit with people, not as if I don't know them after 3 years and make friends, where as she's quite shy and antisocial really.

I'm just tired of how uncomfortable i'm feeling. I can feel her eyes burning into the back of my head in lectures...!
Reply 42
Really grates me when people are ridiculosly petty about stuff like that.. she needs to get over herself lol. She's 29 for christs sake. Sitting elsewhere isn't a bad thing Anna, moving around gets you far closer to the rest of your group and what not :smile:

Back to uni today..fun fun..didn't overly enjoy my A&E elective i have to say... essay due in on Thursday..currently i have a title..it's going well lol..i'm trying something new you see.. seeing whether i get better grades doing an essay the night before under pressure lol.. :p:
Original post by dani_88
Really grates me when people are ridiculosly petty about stuff like that.. she needs to get over herself lol. She's 29 for christs sake. Sitting elsewhere isn't a bad thing Anna, moving around gets you far closer to the rest of your group and what not :smile:

Back to uni today..fun fun..didn't overly enjoy my A&E elective i have to say... essay due in on Thursday..currently i have a title..it's going well lol..i'm trying something new you see.. seeing whether i get better grades doing an essay the night before under pressure lol.. :p:

Yeah, I realised today how less relaxed I feel not being around her. If my friends were 'true' friends they wouldn't leave me over this- and if they do they're not worth it really!

Im really struggling on my lit review (noticed on FB you're doing one too!). Just havn't got an idea of what to do the topic on it for..keep changing, and have 3 months till it's due in!!!

Least you know now you may not want to do A&E? FINALLY decided what path I'm going to take. Will be applying to london jobs specifically in neuro/critical care (and one or two oxford jobs) and then go for the clearing house in october for a job on the neuro wards, MAU or neuro-spinal hdu wards and if I get them- stay in notts, if I don't go london.

Thats a good plan right? There are literally just 4 wards at nottingham I'd happily take a job on unfortunately and If I don't get a job on one of them I don't think I'd stay here- despite loving the city, career comes first!!
It sickens me that people can behave so immaturely, that's the sort of thing you'd expect in school not university!

Subcutaneous the jobs you're applying for are right up my street, the best of luck to you! Would you consider taking a job in Nottingham even if you weren't keen but continue applying for jobs elsewhere that appeal to you more? I dunno if this is practical though cos I'm not sure of the job state in England.... I know Scotland is terrible and I'll probably end up in England!

I've also been trying to do an essay today but it's not going well. :frown: I've been too distracted by my Doctor Who Series One boxset! :cool:
Original post by Little Hobbit
It sickens me that people can behave so immaturely, that's the sort of thing you'd expect in school not university!

Subcutaneous the jobs you're applying for are right up my street, the best of luck to you! Would you consider taking a job in Nottingham even if you weren't keen but continue applying for jobs elsewhere that appeal to you more? I dunno if this is practical though cos I'm not sure of the job state in England.... I know Scotland is terrible and I'll probably end up in England!

I've also been trying to do an essay today but it's not going well. :frown: I've been too distracted by my Doctor Who Series One boxset! :cool:

Yeah well I want to go into neuro/ITU but nottinghams ITU only take those with 6 months experience- and other than that, just the 4 wards i'd take a job on!! Thats pretty much what I'm doing, If i get a job that appeals to me AND is in nottingham..winner! lol

Job situation isn't THAT bad here right now..we're all guarenteed jobs via our universities clearing house (just depends where, and your scoring at interview over whether you get priority in that area!...believe it or not doing a degree means I get more points :eek:). I've already applied for jobs in london, got an ITU interview on the 12th- so if i get it i'll accept, but wait to see what happens with the clearing house....
Nice I'm sure you'll get lucky with one of them at least :smile: It's pretty much guaranteed we'll get a job too, there are a few hospitals in England that come to Glasgow to recruit us, I'm sure Kings College Hospital is one of them... I'd rather stay in Scotland though so fingers crossed :smile:
I'm rooting for HDU/CCU/A+E. But I've got 2 years to go I'm getting a bit ahead of myself lol
Original post by Little Hobbit
Nice I'm sure you'll get lucky with one of them at least :smile: It's pretty much guaranteed we'll get a job too, there are a few hospitals in England that come to Glasgow to recruit us, I'm sure Kings College Hospital is one of them... I'd rather stay in Scotland though so fingers crossed :smile:
I'm rooting for HDU/CCU/A+E. But I've got 2 years to go I'm getting a bit ahead of myself lol

Ah i'd like HDU..dunno about CCU, I'm more of a 'surgical' nurse but we'll see.

Yeah nottingham goes over to you aswell...rather contraversial here as we're not happy that there are 40% less jobs than 3 years ago in the clearing house, and we're having to compete with students from scotland now too!!

I applied to two jobs at KCH, didn't get them though or an interview- but would like to go there!
In response to subcut (always smile when I see your name) try and ignore the pettyness and get on with it. It's easier not to get involved and try and stay strong. Things SHOULD pick up, if after 6 weeks they don't go to your GP. But you're a strong person so you can do it, infact I know you can.

In regards to choosing where you want to end up, I'd say wait till your training is almost over. I found my dream area at the beginning of my third year and was clawing to the desk not wanting to go. Just see how each placement goes and learn from it.

Good news: The job applied for in march, which i got turned down for as I wasn't qualified have a position going, called them up, and they said they'd love to have me for an interview as they remembered me, so applying for that now. Made me feel much better as they remembered me!

Bubye for now, back to that job app!
Reply 49
Anna.. 3 months for your lit review is loadssss of time lol! I now have 2 days haha!

I'm doing mine on bowel cancer screening..the barriers to it.. just have to sit and write the bad boy tomora!

A fair few people are doing body image.. lots on what the literature says about wound care.. some are doing pain management..how effective the pain scale is etc.. some are doing communication... just pick a topic and stick with it :p:

I'll let you know how i get on.. 2700 words to go... gonna be a longggg night and day tomorrow.
Original post by dani_88
Anna.. 3 months for your lit review is loadssss of time lol! I now have 2 days haha!

I'm doing mine on bowel cancer screening..the barriers to it.. just have to sit and write the bad boy tomora!

A fair few people are doing body image.. lots on what the literature says about wound care.. some are doing pain management..how effective the pain scale is etc.. some are doing communication... just pick a topic and stick with it :p:

I'll let you know how i get on.. 2700 words to go... gonna be a longggg night and day tomorrow.

Yeahh but it's my dissertation...and people have done far too much work for it already than I have!!

I just need to bloody stick to something. I've got loads of articles already on tracheostomy but can't imagine writing a whole dissertation on it and not get bored...

Only done 200 words tonight of my management essay..spent most of the evening cleaning and cooking lol
Reply 51
Ooh i forgot it was ur dissertation!! Scary!

Whatever topic u pick for ur lit review you're probably gonna hate by the end of it anyway lol :p:
Original post by Subcutaneous
So Jealous :colonhash:

Dissertation finished? hows management going? ooh and got a job yet?

Management was all good. A&E loved it. I'v got a gen med job. I start in Sept. How is your course going?

Original post by SuperGirl09
Ahh 3 weeks?! I wish! high 5! That's brilliant! have you enjoyed it?

Where are you studying?

I've loved it. Went to King's. HOw are you grtting on?
Ahh cool :smile: I'm doing okay I guess - got the OK from my tutor for my literature review idea YAY! Currently I'm pursuing midwifery after I finish my nursing so it's back to applying to universities again for next year LOL!

Are you counting down yet bombproof_girl? x
bit dead in here...ooo..got 90% in my medications management exam!!!

Andddd finally decided and started on a topic for my lit review- EWS scoring, nice and easy!
Reply 55
I'd love to have something exciting to chip in but ive no got a viral thing meaning had to take start of this week off work, until i can stop throwing up everything which passes my lips!
It's really bugged me, im dying to get back to work. Ive only this week and next week left, plus feeling crappy for having to take more time off.
Oh dear that sucks I hope you get well soon :frown: I've also been feeling rotten and took a cheeky day off today.

One more week of placement, one more assignment, then I'm free for the summer and I can't wait!
Reply 57
Thought I'd update, I've not been on this site for a long while, I've been qualified 2 years now, working in ITU at Stoke Mandeville and in October I start the ITU course! I'm also a mentor and have successfully got through one student so far YAY!
Original post by M'Lady
Thought I'd update, I've not been on this site for a long while, I've been qualified 2 years now, working in ITU at Stoke Mandeville and in October I start the ITU course! I'm also a mentor and have successfully got through one student so far YAY!

oooo, whats the ITU course like? I'm applying straight for ITU jobs as a NQ and have been told i'll be placed on the Msc in ITU/critical care after 6 months.
Sitting around and waiting to qualify, I think it's time to relax because the next 20 years are going to be busy ones.

Good luck to everybody.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending