The Student Room Group

Registered Nurses/Nursing Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Any third years/NQNs/RNs got any advice for final placement? I haven't been on a 'proper ward' for months, and it's in a specialty I have not done before!
Original post by amyc123
Any third years/NQNs/RNs got any advice for final placement? I haven't been on a 'proper ward' for months, and it's in a specialty I have not done before!

Spend the first week acclimatising, seeing what opportunities etc there are. Think about weak areas in previous placements and set specific goals to tackle them. Ensure you are taking over the management of at least a few of your patients each shift, doing all the paperwork, handover, liaising with MDT team members, relatives etc.

Also make sure to have frequent chats with your mentor to check you're on track to meet all your necessary outcomes.
Dissertation due next week, I am so screwed
Original post by ForestCat
Spend the first week acclimatising, seeing what opportunities etc there are. Think about weak areas in previous placements and set specific goals to tackle them. Ensure you are taking over the management of at least a few of your patients each shift, doing all the paperwork, handover, liaising with MDT team members, relatives etc.

Also make sure to have frequent chats with your mentor to check you're on track to meet all your necessary outcomes.

i'm still PRSOM for forestcat , have a fishy instead ...
Original post by zippyRN
i'm still PRSOM for forestcat , have a fishy instead ...

Lol, whilst I'm actually a fan of fish it's exam season so I'll take chocolate instead :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 625
I know its late and I may not get a response but I was wondering if any of you seasoned nurses would have any recommendations on what to wear to a secondment interview? Should I go smart (skirt and shirt), smart casual (smart black jeans, smart top) or i'd say slum in but that's a no-no cause I want to make a good impression but I don't want to over do it! I wore a skirt and shirt for my actual uni interviews. I'm even more nervous for this as I have no idea what to expect really :frown: Hope someone's still awake!
Original post by Dadeo
I know its late and I may not get a response but I was wondering if any of you seasoned nurses would have any recommendations on what to wear to a secondment interview? Should I go smart (skirt and shirt), smart casual (smart black jeans, smart top) or i'd say slum in but that's a no-no cause I want to make a good impression but I don't want to over do it! I wore a skirt and shirt for my actual uni interviews. I'm even more nervous for this as I have no idea what to expect really :frown: Hope someone's still awake!

Always go smart. It gives you confidence and it shows you cared enough to make the effort!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 627
Always go smart. It gives you confidence and it shows you cared enough to make the effort!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I suppose it's always best to be overdressed rather than underdressed in these situations. I wish they'd have given some guidance on how to prepare though :s-smilie:
Hi
My name is Jamie. I was wondering if anyone on here is studying adult nursing at Bournemouth or is going to study adult nursing.
Thanks
Jamie xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamie Hick
Hi
My name is Jamie. I was wondering if anyone on here is studying adult nursing at Bournemouth or is going to study adult nursing.
Thanks
Jamie xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Jamie,

I'll be honest, I did two years in Halls at my university (Mixed with students from other courses) and both years it was pretty awful. I was regularly woken up in the night, had to clean up after my flatmates before I could cook dinner after a 12 hour day, and even had food stolen on a number of occasions. I realise that my experience is just one bad one, among many probably positive ones, but I would just be cautious in choosing halls. Students from other degrees don't understand the emotional and physical intensity of a nursing degree. Ultimately, though, it does come down to who you live with, and if you're after a party lifestyle at university.

You may find that in hospital accommodation, people you live with are more respectful of your need for rest/sleep. A sacrifice for this may be a longer journey into uni for your lectures.

There are many others who are plenty wiser than me, who may be able to share their advice/thoughts/wisdom, but that's my opinion for what it's worth!

Best of luck - a very exciting time for you, I bet!

Joel :smile:

Oops, don't know what's happened... I was replying to your query about accommodation but this seems to have disappeared!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Joel
Thanks that's much help. Do you know of anyone that would be able to help me more or know more information about Bournemouth.
Thanks for your help
Jamie xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamie Hick
Hi Joel
Thanks that's much help. Do you know of anyone that would be able to help me more or know more information about Bournemouth.
Thanks for your help
Jamie xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't, I'm afraid!

Your best bet is to contact them either by email or on Twitter if you use that, I would think! :smile:
Original post by PaediatricStN
Hi Jamie,

I'll be honest, I did two years in Halls at my university (Mixed with students from other courses) and both years it was pretty awful. I was regularly woken up in the night, had to clean up after my flatmates before I could cook dinner after a 12 hour day, and even had food stolen on a number of occasions. I realise that my experience is just one bad one, among many probably positive ones, but I would just be cautious in choosing halls. Students from other degrees don't understand the emotional and physical intensity of a nursing degree. Ultimately, though, it does come down to who you live with, and if you're after a party lifestyle at university.

You may find that in hospital accommodation, people you live with are more respectful of your need for rest/sleep. A sacrifice for this may be a longer journey into uni for your lectures.

There are many others who are plenty wiser than me, who may be able to share their advice/thoughts/wisdom, but that's my opinion for what it's worth!

Best of luck - a very exciting time for you, I bet!

Joel :smile:

Oops, don't know what's happened... I was replying to your query about accommodation but this seems to have disappeared!

Sounds like you had a similar halls experience to what I had a couple of years ago put me off sharing accommodation after just a term. Must have had pints worth of milk that they "borrowed":P
Maybe look into living with mature students jamie?
Original post by claireestelle
Sounds like you had a similar halls experience to what I had a couple of years ago put me off sharing accommodation after just a term. Must have had pints worth of milk that they "borrowed":P
Maybe look into living with mature students jamie?

Yeah it was always stuff like milk, Ribena or really nice food that got stolen... Funnily enough my salad and stuff never got taken!
Yeah it was always stuff like milk, Ribena or really nice food that got stolen... Funnily enough my salad and stuff never got taken!

I didnt see my flatmates eat a single vegetable in the few months I was there, so not surprised no one tried to steal your healthy foods:P In fact one flatmate was suprised that I knew how to make my own sauces
I didnt see my flatmates eat a single vegetable in the few months I was there, so not surprised no one tried to steal your healthy foods:P In fact one flatmate was suprised that I knew how to make my own sauces

Yep same! My flatmates lived off oven pizza, microwave meals, pot noodles etc. Nothing against oven pizza, but I promised myself I would never eat a microwave meal or pot noodle as a student... Proud to say with dedication I am on track to achieve that :colondollar:

Think students live in such mire with poor diets because no one teaches them to cook or look after themselves properly before they leave home... Skills that are all essential to help wellbeing on a demanding course like nursing. You seem well prepared though, Claire! :smile:
Yep same! My flatmates lived off oven pizza, microwave meals, pot noodles etc. Nothing against oven pizza, but I promised myself I would never eat a microwave meal or pot noodle as a student... Proud to say with dedication I am on track to achieve that :colondollar:

Think students live in such mire with poor diets because no one teaches them to cook or look after themselves properly before they leave home... Skills that are all essential to help wellbeing on a demanding course like nursing. You seem well prepared though, Claire! :smile:

You should be proud, that is an achievement for a student:smile:

I guess I m lucky myself as I live with my partner now so we take it in turns cooking when other students would be cooking 7 days a week, its almost always healthy food on our plates:smile:
Hopefully we will be able to keep it up in september :smile:
I need to find some good packed lunch ideas so my bursary doesn't get spent on expensive canteen food:P
is it difficult to eat healthily at lunchtime on placement or is it just a case of plenty of planning ahead?
You should be proud, that is an achievement for a student:smile:

I guess I m lucky myself as I live with my partner now so we take it in turns cooking when other students would be cooking 7 days a week, its almost always healthy food on our plates:smile:
Hopefully we will be able to keep it up in september :smile:
I need to find some good packed lunch ideas so my bursary doesn't get spent on expensive canteen food:P
is it difficult to eat healthily at lunchtime on placement or is it just a case of plenty of planning ahead?

Plan ahead. Hospital canteens are notoriously un-healthy and some can also be expensive. You're also better if you have food with you so you don't have to waste valuable break time going to get food.
Plan ahead. Hospital canteens are notoriously un-healthy and some can also be expensive. You're also better if you have food with you so you don't have to waste valuable break time going to get food.

Thank you forestcat:smile:
I ll definitely have to start finding some healthy and cheap lunches ideas then as I m not a fan of most sandwiches.
Certainly don't want to spend more on placement than necessary on food
And on the subject of halls, I hated them during my brief stint doing economics. It was like going back to high school, people were amazingly immature. I moved out after one term.
And cooking! Some people have no clue. It really does need to be better taught in schools!
And common decency, if you use something of mine(especially without asking) wash it up after use. Don't just leave it in a pile with all your other crap because you cba washing up, but you leave it so long it has to be thrown away as it cannot be cleaned.

Argh! I was never the 'typical student'. Good luck to anyone headed off to halls in Sept. Hopefully you'll get considerate housemates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending