The Student Room Group

Registered Nurses/Nursing Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Absorbaloff
Tears of hard work and accomplishment

Cannot wait to start work! Free time and actually getting paid :biggrin:
Original post by claireestelle
I finished my other course in April, so get 5 months of chilling:P
I was just flicking through my anatomy book and wondering how much would be on the 1st exam when i believe i ve got 2 anatomy ones in 1st year.

We got taught biology in two sections, first exam (January) was about half the stuff and then we got taught stuff for the second one (May) which covered the other half.
We had a MCQ at the end of our first year which covered all the A&P we learned that year. If they're doing it in November, I assume it'll only be on the topics you've learned up to that point.

Would i be naive to assume that it will be an overview of systems on the exam in November then much more detail in the April MCQ exam?
If i remember the year planner correctly, I ve 14 weeks of theory before Christmas and then the other 6 are between placements so expecting lots of information to get thrown at us in semester 1:P
Original post by amyc123
We got taught biology in two sections, first exam (January) was about half the stuff and then we got taught stuff for the second one (May) which covered the other half.

thank you:smile: i m not sure if my uni organises the course, like the other unis i applied for, seem to read of lots of people being on placement in November rather than January
Would i be naive to assume that it will be an overview of systems on the exam in November then much more detail in the April MCQ exam?
If i remember the year planner correctly, I ve 14 weeks of theory before Christmas and then the other 6 are between placements so expecting lots of information to get thrown at us in semester 1:P

I would assume so, it would be really unfair for them to test you on material they haven't taught. They cannot even test you on materials they've told you to go away and read up.
My fingers are tired from typing sick burns on the other thread.
thank you:smile: i m not sure if my uni organises the course, like the other unis i applied for, seem to read of lots of people being on placement in November rather than January

My uni is a little different. Taught lessons then had a 10 question online quiz x3

We also had a practical exam doing manual BP , pulse, urinalysis etc. Then had to write a lab report explaining rationale etc.

They cannot even test you on materials they've told you to go away and read up.

that i wouldnt have expected, if they tell you to do the work and you dont do it then thats on you surely.
My fingers are tired from typing sick burns on the other thread.

i bet the people that complain about nurses getting courses paid for are the ones that wouldnt complain if a student nurse helped them in an emergency.
Original post by roachesandratsx
My uni is a little different. Taught lessons then had a 10 question online quiz x3

We also had a practical exam doing manual BP , pulse, urinalysis etc. Then had to write a lab report explaining rationale etc.

i know the exam is on a pc online but no idea the amount of questions or anything till i start.

I think theres a practical exam too but thats not till april i think.
that i wouldnt have expected, if they tell you to do the work and you dont do it then thats on you surely.

At my uni they aren't allowed to examine you on any material that you haven't been taught in lectures or seminars, which I think is fair. When I did my A&P exam in first year, it was in the middle of our last placement, and they were still surprised that people failed :|
At my uni they aren't allowed to examine you on any material that you haven't been taught in lectures or seminars, which I think is fair. When I did my A&P exam in first year, it was in the middle of our last placement, and they were still surprised that people failed :|

when i did my foundation degree there were a couple of questions on the exam which were questionable if you d know the answer to or not if you hadn't read everything they d put on the blackboard system hence being a little surprised there wouldnt be a couple of questions that you weren't necessarily taught in detail in lecture . did you get much warning for the exam?
(edited 8 years ago)
i bet the people that complain about nurses getting courses paid for are the ones that wouldnt complain if a student nurse helped them in an emergency.

I was the only one in an emergency situation recently...seriously doubt any member of the public would have complained about me being there and being a student! Some people are just ridiculous and see doctors as gods and nurses as bimbos and eye candy :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amyc123
I was the only one in an emergency situation recently...seriously doubt any member of the public would have complained about me being there and being a student! Some people are just ridiculous and see doctors as gods and nurses as bimbos and eye candy :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

people really need to get more educated, no one will complain about receiving good quality care so why say we dont deserve to be paid well -_-
Original post by amyc123

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done Amy! :smile: Have been in a few myself before now. Challenging but really good to get that experience.

As for the eye candy and bimbo thing, this is my side of that...

Mid 20s Dad thinking: "Hope my son gets a hot nurse today"

I walk in after handover to introduce myself like:

Attachment not found

(Don't typically like or advocate swearing, but I had to...!)
(edited 8 years ago)
If people want hot nurses, they will be severely disappointed as I'm very average looking
If people want hot nurses, they will be severely disappointed as I'm very average looking

i d say the exact same about myself. I very recently went blonde but certainly not a bimbo:P
Original post by PaediatricStN
Well done Amy! :smile: Have been in a few myself before now. Challenging but really good to get that experience.

As for the eye candy and bimbo thing, this is my side of that...

Mid 20s Dad thinking: "Hope my son gets a hot nurse today"

I walk in after handover to introduce myself like:

Attachment not found

(Don't typically like or advocate swearing, but I had to...!)

I love that meme!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33444557

I'm not really sure if this will affect NHS bursaries, but I have a feeling it might.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33444557

I'm not really sure if this will affect NHS bursaries, but I have a feeling it might.

i dont feel it will as nhs bursaries have always been pretty different rules, at least i dont feel they will change nhs bursaries quite as drastically if they do or we really will be like slave labour on placement.
To get the max nhs grant now,you have to have an income below 24,200 anyway so although yes if they made it a loans only systems above 25k for nursing students, they would certainly have more debt but might even get more cash as maintenance on a non nhs system than they do currently.

Quick Reply

Latest