The Student Room Group

Registered Nurses/Nursing Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxxjojoxxx
I'm doing adult nursing at hull, I have only started this week though so the real work has not started yet! Can't wait to get started properly though :-) which uni are you at and which branch are you studying? What year are you on? X

Ohh, so you've still all the exciting stuff to come! Im sure you'll enjoy yourself.
Im at central lancs, just started my third year of adult. Arrgghh!
Oo I bet that's nerve racking and stressful! 1 more year and you'll be in your element when you get a job.. Which areas have u found you prefer? x
Im not entirely sure to be honest. I think im more of a high tech person but im definatly more surgical minded. I spent alot of 2nd year thinking this wasnt even what i wanted to do but put it down to 2nd year just being vile, so we'll have to see how this year goes i think!
I've heard others say that.. Is it true that the first year is pretty easy and not too much work on and then when the second year comes you don't know what's hit ya? x
Erm near enough.
I think you're only just getting settled in during 1st year and while there is work to do and things on placement to get your head around, people understand you're a first year.
It defiantly steps up a notch in 2nd year. You havent got the 1st year excuse but you're arent a 3rd year yet. Its wierd. The amount/level of work is higher and it just feels a bit of a slog to get through the year, alot of us were running on empty come the end of it!

You'll be fine though, thats ages away! :smile:
Original post by Becky_90
Its horribles isnt it?
They were saying we'll get all this out of the way, talking about assignmens and putting the fear of god into my about our OSCE!

It was not an unpleasant start to the year :frown:
The rest of the week was really good though. We're getting pathology lectures this year so all our crazy science is coming together, and the nursing lectures have been really interesting. I just need to find the motivation to start revising the lectures at home and I'll be fine.

OSCEs sound scary... :s-smilie:

Original post by xxxjojoxxx
I've heard others say that.. Is it true that the first year is pretty easy and not too much work on and then when the second year comes you don't know what's hit ya? x

That's what it was like for us most of our class hated 2nd year. I've been told the jump from 2nd to 3rd year isn't as bad, but I'm still in the process of finding out whether or not that's true! :smile:

You'll love it though, if nursing is what you really want to do you'll get through it :biggrin:
Original post by Twaffy
Heyyy,
I'm in my first year just coming to the end of my first placement and we've got to write a refelctive essay and I have no idea how to write reflectively. Has anybody got any advice please? :smile:

Use a proper reflective cycle such as Gibbs or make your own simple one, I made a really easy simple one from interpreting others;

What? (What happened? Short descipltion)
So What? (How did you feel? What impact did it have? What did you learn?)
Now What? (What can I do next time? How can I use this in the future?

SIMPLE :biggrin:
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
Use a proper reflective cycle such as Gibbs or make your own simple one, I made a really easy simple one from interpreting others;

What? (What happened? Short descipltion)
So What? (How did you feel? What impact did it have? What did you learn?)
Now What? (What can I do next time? How can I use this in the future?

SIMPLE :biggrin:

Did you really make that yourself?

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by moonkatt
Did you really make that yourself?

Spoiler

I looked at various other 'proper' reflective cycles and simplified it down, it will be similar to others because that's where I took bits from as my poor brain couldn't take some of the more complicated ones :L
(edited 12 years ago)
This dissertation module is the death of me already!

We've to do ours loosely based around a change within healthcare we'd like to make. Then proposal everything about it in our dissertation along with a oral defense presention in front of panel of lecturers.

Ive no idea what i want to do. I wish they'd filled us in a bit more earlier so i could have been thinking more. I know my biggest problem will be complicating it for myself! How do people decide thse things!?
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
I looked at various other 'proper' reflective cycles and simplified it down, it will be similar to others because that's where I took bits from as my poor brain couldn't take some of the more complicated ones :L

The what, so what, now what is what I used a lot for reflections. Gibbs is good, most uni's introduce first years to it, if you look outside of the box and use other ones in assignments in the first year if you can it usually garners you brownie points as it shows you have read around on the subject of reflection.
And I got my Pin letter from the NMC today! I'm officially a nurse :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by herbal bug
And I got my Pin letter from the NMC today! I'm officially a nurse :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yay! Congratulations and well done! Bet you're dead chuffed :biggrin:
soooooo tired, 1/3 of my way through management now. The ward is ok- I find it a bit odd though as there are two registered nurses per bay meaning that very often you do something and they've done it- and there is no communication. If anything there are toooooo many registered staff, so really hard for a management student.

It's interesting though- my confidence is getting there and it's all starting to come into place slowly. Just still got dissertation to do!
Really struggling to find somewhere to live- I'm looking to move to harefield but obviously places within a 15-20mile radius so like slough, staines..harlow, watford, ruislip, wycombe etc. However If I do living by myself would be too expensive but I don't want to live with people I don't know- have a feeling I'm gonna be taking staff accomodation for the year, but the cats will be going to with the parents till Im more settled/can buy a place :frown:
At least that's better than nothing. It may not be ideal but it's better than trying to find somewhere that isnt exactly feesible. You never know, may be easier to get settled etc once you get there.

I've just finished first week of placement. On an oncology ward and it's lovely, just seems a completely different kind of atmosphere to other wards. I have to admit i do feel like i should be stepping up my game in a sense, i know people ask questions to gauge what you know but i cant help but feel im slipping up if i dont know something, like i should know so much more by 3rd year and someones just waiting to catch me out!
Original post by Becky_90

I've just finished first week of placement. On an oncology ward and it's lovely, just seems a completely different kind of atmosphere to other wards. I have to admit i do feel like i should be stepping up my game in a sense, i know people ask questions to gauge what you know but i cant help but feel im slipping up if i dont know something, like i should know so much more by 3rd year and someones just waiting to catch me out!

I had a placement in an oncology ward last year and it was wonderful, I met a lot of very inspiring people. I felt really lost and awkward during my first week but I soon settled in and learned absolutely loads. I loved it so much it practically broke my heart when I left, I actually cried. :smile:

We've all been talking about our first 3rd year placements, everyones panicking and thinking they'll be totally out there depth! Only 3 weeks to go :s-smilie:
Original post by Little Hobbit
I had a placement in an oncology ward last year and it was wonderful, I met a lot of very inspiring people. I felt really lost and awkward during my first week but I soon settled in and learned absolutely loads. I loved it so much it practically broke my heart when I left, I actually cried. :smile:

We've all been talking about our first 3rd year placements, everyones panicking and thinking they'll be totally out there depth! Only 3 weeks to go :s-smilie:

It really is, it definatly makes you realise whats important and the things some people go though. I think it's the first place i've been able to feel fairly settled into within the first week, not sure if that's because of the place itself or just because im pretty used to ward work by now. Just a shame im only there for 5 weeks, feel like i could learn so much but just might not have the time.

It is a weird feeling, where you going?
Holy mf!!! 25 shifts left as a student nurse!!!!!
Hi everyone! I have just started my first year of adult nursing and we have been asked to start a reflective journal. I was just wondering if anyone has got any tips on what type of referencing I need to put in? They have not given us much idea and it has confused me abit as reflection is your own thoughts and feelings... Any help would be fab! Thanks :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending