The Student Room Group

New to HE but want to be social worker

Hi all :smile:

Im new to this so please bear with me !!! I am 22 years old i work full time .....Hoping to do my intensive driving course and pass!! fingers cross.....getting my life back together after certian events in my past !!!
I am thinking as i dont have many UCAS points .. an advisor at the university said that a access course would be my best choice and hope of getting in to uni to study social work

I have a few questions about it though

1 - I have a house to support and a partner , is there any support finacilly out there

2- can i do it part time

3 can i do it on the internet

4 what is the qualification

5 what is it worth where unis are concerned

from vicky:smile:
Hi Vicky,

Sounds like you're a busy bee at the mo! An Access course probably is your best way to get on a social work course if you do not have the "traditional" A-Levels. If you take an Access course, you may be able to get some financial support from the Adult Learning Fund (means tested, worth up to £30 per week) but whether that would cover your fees or not. Most of the time Access courses are around 16 hours a week and will be college-based. Distance learning courses are available but they are normally more costly than college-based courses. Some colleges offer part-time routes so it's worth looking at their websites or calling them to see if this would be possible. An Access course is a level 3 qualification, so of an equivalent level to A-Levels. For social work courses, most universities are happy to accept Access students and will not treat them any differently to people who did A-Levels. Like A-Levels, they'll have criteria on what your grades are like on your Access course (e.g. Brunel want a "Pass in a relevant subject (such as Access to Social Work or Access to Social Sciences), including at least 65% of units with Merit or Distinction.", Manchester Metropolitan want "A relevant Access to HE Diploma with 45 level 3 credits at merit will be considered for entry to this course.").

I hope this helps, good luck in making your decision.

Jen xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending