The Student Room Group

Q&A with d, CN & J

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by LPK
My questions are for d. :cool:

1) Do you regret selling TSR?

2) Which site name do you prefer: UK Learning or The Student Room (Or Banaboo, even?)

3) Do you keep in contact with any of the old-school staff such as Ollie, Expression, ickle_katy, rahaydenuk, Koloth, edders etc?

4) What have you been doing since you sold TSR? And why have you always been so mysterious?

That's pretty much it. I remember his mysterious omnipresent nature back in 2003, and yet despite it he was an absolute mystery to pretty much everybody. :huff:

Oh, and what the hell was his avatar? I remember I used to think it was swish, but his account got deleted and I haven't remembered what it was ever since. Maybe ask him that too. :tongue:

I've greatly enjoyed watching TSR grow over the past few years - J, CN and the rest of the team have done and fantastic job and it's a great pleasure to work with them

TSR is nice and intuitive, I think it works well

Not at all. I never met them. Although I did meet some moderators at the Acumen office warming, which was great. I think one couple was married, having met on TSR.

It's been a busy few years :smile:

Reply 61

Original post by J
the fish tank and the roof top jacuzzi :cool:

I've never seen the roof top jacuzzi :moon:

Isn't it a bit cold for one though?
Reply 62
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
For D (please don't reveal your real name. D is infinitely more mysterious. Like M from Bond :tongue:).

Q: How does it make you really feel seeing TSR become what it is now?
Q: Have you ever visited the site after officially leaving it? If so, what times and how did you feel browsing around?
Q: How much did it roughly cost to first set up the forum?
Q: How much was it sold for?
Q: What was it like in the early days (talking first few weeks) when you were looking for members and staff to bring onto the site?
Q: How different is the current TSR to your vision of TSR from a few years ago?

- It's fantastic no? TSR has evolved into a compelling resource which brings a lot of pleasure and value to a lot of people. It's very satisfying to see that happen. And on such a large scale.
- For sure, I take a great interest and watch with great admiration the work that the team has done on nurturing the community
- Nothing. Zero.
- No comment.
- Obviously it was pretty slow, things like these take a great deal of time to get critical mass, but once they are going they have real momentum
- The scale of the community is now very significant, the team and community have built a number of fantastic and unique features, and I think what TSR has evolved into is a strong, vibrant community.
Reply 63
Original post by J
bran flakes with raisins in, i'm just a regular guy

I'm stopping now, but will be back again to reply to more later/tomorrow. thank you for the questions :smile:
CN and D will pop up shortly hopefully

Did you mean to give such personal detail there? :p:
Reply 64
Original post by obviouslystudying
D: What backdoors did you make/keep when you sold tsr? Does those still work?

Hehe, the team now are far too smart for that.
Reply 65
'No comment' answers :hand:

I couldn't think if an interesting question :emo:
Reply 66
Original post by paddy__power
D: Who are you? How much did you sell TSR for and how much do you regret the decision? Are you hot? If the answer to my second question was a large number lets meet up. :awesome:p

In answer to your last question, I'd like to quote Zoolander:

Well I guess it all started the first time I went through the second grade. I caught my reflection in a spoon while I was eating my cereal, and I remember thinking "wow, you're ridiculously good looking, maybe you could do that for a career."

Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
D: when you created TSR did you ever imagine that 10 years down the line it would be what it is now? or even still exist..
Reply 68
Original post by Melancholy
Do any of you regret the 'modernisation' of the site?

Not at all, a huge amount of time, money and effort has gone into nurturing the community into what it is today. Now with 4.5m visitors per month, TSR is a real powerhouse, helping countless students across the world achieve their goals. This is testament to the sustained hard work and intelligence of CN, J, P, RK, and the rest of the now sizeable team. It's also a testament to the great people that contribute to the site and make it what is is today. So, I say, go forum members, and go Acumen staff - great job, keep it up :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
D: when you created TSR did you ever imagine that 10 years down the line it would be what it is now? or even still exist..

I think any project that you invest time and efforts in you have aspirations for. In this instance the model adopted was a powerful, scalable one. However, many sites have launched and languished in obscurity: what separates TSR from the others is sustained hard work, intelligence and ability to execute over a protracted period of time. By attracting and retaining a great community and group of staff TSR I think has become a very useful piece of the educational landscape in the UK - not an insignificant achievement for the community and CN, J, P, RK, etc.
Reply 70

Do you have any influence on current TSR decisions?

Would you be interested in re-joining the TSR team as an advisor, or have you gone onto bigger and better things?
*Points to first page* :p:

Edit: And why doesn't d have a sub? :hmmm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
d has now left the building :smile: (but he will return)
Reply 73

Original post by J
d has now left the building :smile: (but he will return)

How do we know he's the real d and not an impostor? He could be RK in disguise!
Reply 74
Original post by Champagne Supernova
*Points to first page* :p:

Edit: And why doesn't d have a sub? :hmmm:

I have subscribed?
Reply 75
Original post by Juno
How do we know he's the real d and not an impostor? He could be RK in disguise!

Ask me a question that nobody else would know. I will answer.
Reply 76
Original post by Groat
Do you have any influence on current TSR decisions?

Would you be interested in re-joining the TSR team as an advisor, or have you gone onto bigger and better things?

Few things are bigger than TSR.
Reply 77

Original post by d
Ask me a question that nobody else would know. I will answer.

I can't think of any :sad:

But I know you're not RK in disguise. You're probably J instead.
Original post by d
I have subscribed?

:beard: I bet they made you pay... :awesome:

Spoiler

Reply 79

:beard: I bet they made you pay... :awesome:

Spoiler

Only the n00bs ask that. Everybody else knows.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending