The Student Room Group

The "I'll never pass my driving test!" thoughts..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fudgeeyena
Your first or?

And don't worry, I was exactly the same as you. Even down to the fact that
I had my car on the drive waiting for me lol. Alot of people have a few iffy lessons as their test gets closer, I know I did. Even the hour before my test I was making silly mistakes. You just have to be confident in your own abilities - focus on what you do well and learn a lesson everytime you do something wrong, but don't dwell on them. Making mistakes is good - you'll remember not to do them on your test.

the two lessons i had before my test - the first was almost flawless, in the mock test i got three minors and thats it - the second lesson just before the test, i was all over the place.

It happens to everyone OP, the main things is to persevere
I had a mock test in my driving lesson yesterday and I don't think I've ever driven so badly. It was making me so nervous to be so formal with my instructor and I made so many silly mistakes. My test isn't until 30th August but I've only got one lesson left before that due to us both being on holiday at different times. I know it's 4 weeks away but I'm stressing so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I seem to have a perfect lesson one week then completely mess up the next. I think I know most things and my instructor says he's got nothing left to teach me and its all about me practising and doing it right MOST of the time.

My last lesson went horribly wrong and I'm worried about my next one on Friday.
I'm booking my first test now but there's nothing available until early October.
Reply 23
Original post by xWelshyx
Does anyone else feel as if they'll never pass their driving test?

I've been learning for a couple of months, I've had quite a few lessons and I have my test booked. At times I'm confident - I have 3/4 lessons where I'm really good, then all of a sudden I have a terrible lesson where my confidence gets the biggest knock. Today for instance I did pretty much everything wrong, I felt like I was back in one of my first few lessons. It's such a horrible feeling and I'm starting to feel I'll never pass my test. It's so frustrating just seeing my car sat outside on my drive :frown:

Basically the whole point of this thread is to stop me feeling like complete crap.... (clearly I need a life).

The day before my test I turned onto the right-hand side of a side-street.

I passed; you'll be fine. :P
Reply 24
Original post by Joel R
The day before my test I turned onto the right-hand side of a side-street.

I passed; you'll be fine. :P

My last lesson before my test was awful i didn't slow down at bends, when i had to pull over i was far from the kerb and there was a driving examiner sitting in on a test parked behind us and my instructor said 'look this has shown me up that your parked far from the kerb blah blah' and when i passed the next day my instructor was saying i would have had no chance of passing if i drove like i did the previous day, which thankfully i didn't.
Reply 25
45 hours and my instructor still says need a bit more practice so another 6 hour I spend so much money hope I pass my test this month..... I am nervous about the test its my first time I don't know how it feel I only drive with my instructor nobody else :frown:
I just had my second test a few hours ago and once again it was a fail.
the first time i joined the A127 and its 70mph, but the slip road i joined at was only a short distance from the 40mph zone. so i wasn’t join got get up to 70mph because i wouldn’t be able to stop in time. Anyways the accessor kept leaning over me to see what speed i was going, around 60mph and every so often kept giving me minors for not going 70mph. So to ovoid failing but not going 70mph i went to the right lane and was going 70mph then we approached the 40 zone but i couldn’t slow completely down in time and went past the sign at 43mph and thats where he failed me. through peer pressure and for going 3ph over the newly introduced speed limit.
the sec on test was going lovely the lady was so nice and talking, we then approached a junction and looked left there was a car in the distance, and nothing on the right so i went out and then the next thing there was a car nearly going into the left of us where it came from i don’t know but it was speeding as it was clear. anyway i failed for doing nothing wrong.
on both test i got no minors. i have car of my own that i go out in with my parents and have had it for 6 1/2 months and had no trouble which shows I’m a decent driver. i am confident but not overconfident. i feel comfortable driving and enjoy it and am very swear, always check my mirrors and signal. So i don’t know i feel as though i will never pass and i don’t think i will.
I have my test on weds and its my first time. I have had over 30hours of lessons and i feel confident-ish. I really want to pass first time round. Its just i get really nervous and make silly mistakes especially at large roundabouts. Any advice would be appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by kiirankapoor
I have my test on weds and its my first time. I have had over 30hours of lessons and i feel confident-ish. I really want to pass first time round. Its just i get really nervous and make silly mistakes especially at large roundabouts. Any advice would be appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My test is on thursday and it's my first one as well D: I'm really worried because I do well in the lessons but I've had 2 mocks now and I always do a lot worse in the mocks. I've had about 24 hours of lessons and I'm always hesitating at roundabouts :frown:
I passed my theory first time after booking it after two weeks. Did numerous mocks online and used iPhone apps.

I took my first practical test after two months of lesson, bearing in mind I was having about 6 hours of lessons a week!

Failed my first practical test, took one again the next month, failed that again, took another one the next month, failed that again, the next month guess what? Failed again haha. I booked one for the next month, cancelled it and booked it one month later. At the end of the test I put head down on my wheel and said " go on Dave, get it over and done with" and I passed! I couldn't believe it, 5th time lucky!

By the time I had passed, I had spent about £2000 on lessons.

My problem was that I was in such a rush to pass and drive around quickly that I just didn't have the full road experience I needed. Don't rush! :smile:
Original post by ds556799
My test is on thursday and it's my first one as well D: I'm really worried because I do well in the lessons but I've had 2 mocks now and I always do a lot worse in the mocks. I've had about 24 hours of lessons and I'm always hesitating at roundabouts :frown:

I passed mine this morning! First time too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
I passed mine this morning! First time too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done! Hopefully I'm the same tomorrow :biggrin:
Original post by ds556799
Well done! Hopefully I'm the same tomorrow :biggrin:

Thanks! Good luck!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Thanks! Good luck!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I failed :frown: 1 major (which really wasn't my fault) and 6 minors. I was turning left on a roundabout and I see 2 cars on my right both signalling left (onto the road I was on). I waited until the 2nd car had started turning into the road before I started moving and I looked into the road I was turning into. I start moving forward and I see that the 2nd car didn't even turn left but kept his signal on and was driving towards me so I had to brake hard and that was a major for observation :frown: I should have looked twice but he should know how to use indicators :frown:
:smile:
Yeah I feel like I'll never pass both my theory and practical. My partner is currently teaching me and he says I'm making great progress but because I'm still making silly mistakes and I'm not perfect at driving, I see myself as a failure. I'm too hard on myself.

I have my theory test in a few weeks and in the mocks I've done, I seem to do a lot better in the hazard perception than the actual questions :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me all the time! :frown:
Helppppppp

I have a bit of a situation! My driving test is on Monday, I've been doing lessons for about a year and booked my test with the thought in mind of university and wanted to get it done before I go. My instructor has always been really calming, I was ready for my test then he went on holiday so I has a temporary instructor.
I did a mock test and he said I am ready and should pass no problem. My instructor came back and for some reason is so Mardy and it makes me so nervous! My last 2 lessons with him have been awful, because he keeps making me nervous and then I make mistakes. He actually told me he thinks I'm not ready, but the instructor before (when I was calm and didn't have the usual instructor) I made barely any mistakes, and drove 100% better as he made me feel at ease and made me confident.

My confidence is shattered, it's too late to change instructors and my test is in a few days! I really believed I had a chance, but now my instructor is making me make stupid mistakes e.g. Panicking at junctions which I don't usually! I have usually been a confident driver, and now I dont know what to do.

I'm taking the test anyway, but because of everything I really don't think I can do it! Need some confidence building please!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by carly_muse
Helppppppp

I have a bit of a situation! My driving test is on Monday, I've been doing lessons for about a year and booked my test with the thought in mind of university and wanted to get it done before I go. My instructor has always been really calming, I was ready for my test then he went on holiday so I has a temporary instructor.
I did a mock test and he said I am ready and should pass no problem. My instructor came back and for some reason is so Mardy and it makes me so nervous! My last 2 lessons with him have been awful, because he keeps making me nervous and then I make mistakes. He actually told me he thinks I'm not ready, but the instructor before (when I was calm and didn't have the usual instructor) I made barely any mistakes, and drove 100% better as he made me feel at ease and made me confident.

My confidence is shattered, it's too late to change instructors and my test is in a few days! I really believed I had a chance, but now my instructor is making me make stupid mistakes e.g. Panicking at junctions which I don't usually! I have usually been a confident driver, and now I dont know what to do.

I'm taking the test anyway, but because of everything I really don't think I can do it! Need some confidence building please!

In the hour drive around I did before my test I was pretty awful because I felt so much pressure and I was feeling pretty crappy that day anyway. Made very stupid mistakes but my test went well even though I thought it went horrendously and I passed :biggrin: so prior feelings/actions don't necessarily dictate the test result!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
I definitely feel like that. I haven't really messed up lessons are any times out driving especially recently. My parents and instructor are very impressed with my driving. My instructor is a great guy he says "you drive 250%!" However I have failed 3 times due to nerves. The first time was only on minors. The second time 2 majors which really got me down and the third time 1 major. I just finished up my third test and I was about to pass until I made a bad lane change. The guy said to me "the test is almost over don't mess up" which was probably supposed to be reassuring but instead my hands started shaking and my focus was completely gone. My instructor keeps telling me I just need to calm down and my mom keeps telling me that the adjudicator is just a regular person and not to worry about it but I can't help myself! I'm going again in two weeks and I know people will probably insult me in some was saying I'm a bad driver but my instructor now insists on no more lessons until the test day. He says I'm a good driver and no one can help me in this situation but myself and I agree. Maybe since it's my fourth time I won't put pressure on myself. I put pressure on myself this time because I don't know anyone personally who have failed more than twice. I'm not giving up though! I must conquer the nerves!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending