The Student Room Group

English students applying for Scottish Universities

I am thinking of applying to either Edinburgh or St Andrews next year but have been told there is not much point because there is a huge bias towards Scottish students. I was just wondering to what extent this is true and if you think it's worth me applying bearing in mind the limited number of choices?
There is a perception that Edinburgh, at least, does favour those students near the university, but that doesn't mean you haven't got a chance of getting in.
I am from the Midlands, and actually many people I've met have been from the south of England. If your grades are good enough and you have a strong application, you have just as much chance of getting in as someone from Scotland.
Reply 2
Definitely not true, if anything St Andrews has a bias against Scottish students. I have met so few there, mainly Americans and English.
Reply 3
There are more (or at the very least equal) English students than Scottish at St Andrews
Reply 4
Thank you!

Do you think I should apply to St Andrews or Edinburgh then? (I'm studying politics and IR)
Original post by alexa3218
Thank you!

Do you think I should apply to St Andrews or Edinburgh then? (I'm studying politics and IR)

Why not apply to both?
Reply 6
I think Edinburgh did used to have a points policy that formed a part of the application, where an applicant would win more points the closer they lived to Edinburgh. I'm fairly certain it's been scrapped since, but even so English students evidently aren't seriously discriminated against given that they made up 41% of the university's population in 2010. It's definitely worth an application if you like the University and city.

As for St Andrews - English students make up a massive part of the student intake.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Dia-Dhuit
I think Edinburgh did used to have a points policy that formed a part of the application, where an applicant would win more points the closer they lived to Edinburgh. I'm fairly certain it's been scrapped since, but even so English students evidently aren't seriously discriminated against given that they made up 41% of the university's population in 2010. It's definitely worth an application if you like the University and city.

As for St Andrews - English students make up a massive part of the student intake. There's a surprisingly small Scottish presence, and I'm pretty sure the University only just meets the quota to remain counted as a "Scottish Uni".

Why would the number of Scottish Student's enrolled at St Andrew's make a difference to it being called a "Scottish Uni". It wouldn't matter if it had 3,000 or 3 Scottish Student's. As far as i'm aware it would still be a Scottish University; largely due to it being in Scotland an all....
Reply 8
Original post by Dia-Dhuit

and I'm pretty sure the University only just meets the quota to remain counted as a "Scottish Uni".

Huh?
Reply 9
Sorry, that was incorrect. I'd been half-reading an article a couple of days ago about quotas for Scottish students but didn't take in the part where it was a possible future plan. Oops.
Reply 10
Scottish Universities are set up to correspond with the different education system in Scotland.
Scottish Highers are not as high on the tarrif as English A Levels and these are completed in year 5 and year 6.
There is no 2nd year of 6th form. The Scottish student completes this year in Uni (hence the 4 year degree).
The first year would be a foundation year or HNC level perhaps.
So this is why Edinburgh favours Scottish students. English students could apply straight into year 2 of the degree
and the degree may not be set up for this. In the first year you do 40 credits of your main subject and then another 80
from 2 outside subjects. This helps people who may not be totally decided about their route and they can change their
major. This carries on in the second year.
So it is the structure that favours Scottish students that is the problem, not bias towards
any other nationalities.

Quick Reply

Latest