The Student Room Group

Portfolio help!

I've read the sticky topic at the top of this forum but still doesn't answer my questions:

1) Do I have to do some sort of graphic design piece of work despite the fact I've never done anything of the sort before?

2) I do Fine Art (A level), would it be ok to include bits of work from the course, or does it all have to be directly related to graphic design?

3) How many pieces should I include?

Thankyou
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MissClumsy
I'm thinking of applying for Graphic Design, but I have a few queries on what to include in my portolio. I've tried on uni websites that do graphic design looking for guidence on what to include but there's no help!

I've read the sticky topic at the top of this forum but still doesn't answer my questions:

1) Do I have to do some sort of graphic design piece of work despite the fact I've never done anything of the sort before?

2) I do Fine Art (A level), would it be ok to include bits of work from the course, or does it all have to be directly related to graphic design?

3) How many pieces should I include?

Thankyou

1) I would, you need to show them that you can do the subject you're applying for!

2) They don't expect all of your portfolio to be related to your subject, variation is good and shows that you can do different things.

3) Usually between 10-20 a1/a2 sheets, with a couple of sketchbooks. This depends on the uni though, they'll usually tell you how many they would like when they invite you for interview.

Here's some more tips :biggrin: http://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/home/student-tips-put-together-a-great-portfolio/
Reply 2
Original post by Cheshire_Cat
1) I would, you need to show them that you can do the subject you're applying for!

2) They don't expect all of your portfolio to be related to your subject, variation is good and shows that you can do different things.

3) Usually between 10-20 a1/a2 sheets, with a couple of sketchbooks. This depends on the uni though, they'll usually tell you how many they would like when they invite you for interview.

Here's some more tips :biggrin: http://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/home/student-tips-put-together-a-great-portfolio/

If I could +rep you 10000 times I would - thanks!!!
Original post by MissClumsy
If I could +rep you 10000 times I would - thanks!!!

Haha no probs :smile: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest