The Student Room Group

wannabe mature student

hi :smile:

ok so i want to apply as a mature student in 2012 in england ( im irish ) ... i want to apply for a equine course. here a mature student is 23 and i know the requirements etc etc :rolleyes:

but im unsure about a mature student in the uk :confused::eek: :eek: i know 21 is the starting age. do you get judged on life experience ? on your past exam results ? both ? jobs ? i could apply for any course here once i was 23 i wouldnt need any exam results just " life experience " so im curious is it the same ?

what if you were a mature student who didnt have the exam results needed but were good in other ways ?

what do uni's look for in mature students ?? i want to know do i have it or is it all just a waste of time :s-smilie: is it really hard to get in as a mature student ? are they tougher ...

ok i know i have mentioned life experience a few times already ... but can someone tell me what it means. do they want someone brilliant in everyway who has done so much in there life or do they want someone who has done a bit and wants to improve and get a degree.

thank you so much :biggrin: im kinda confused :redface: i want to apply and hopefully study there but after reading a few websites for a while i think i got all :s-smilie:
Reply 1
I've yet to meet a mature student in England...are you sure they exist?
Reply 2

Original post by Aack
I've yet to meet a mature student in England...are you sure they exist?

i dont know if they exist LoL im trying to figure it out will i be a " mature student " just cause i will be old enough next year doesnt mean i fit the bill you know ... do you even go to uni ? im sure there is plenty of mature students somewhere hidden in a uni " crosses fingers "
Reply 3
its unlikely they will accept you purely on experience especially at only 21. They will want some proof of recent study, this is what the Access course is designed for.
Original post by Rescue Remedy
hi :smile:

ok so i want to apply as a mature student in 2012 in england ( im irish ) ... i want to apply for a equine course. here a mature student is 23 and i know the requirements etc etc :rolleyes:

but im unsure about a mature student in the uk :confused::eek: :eek: i know 21 is the starting age. do you get judged on life experience ? on your past exam results ? both ? jobs ? i could apply for any course here once i was 23 i wouldnt need any exam results just " life experience " so im curious is it the same ?

what if you were a mature student who didnt have the exam results needed but were good in other ways ?

what do uni's look for in mature students ?? i want to know do i have it or is it all just a waste of time :s-smilie: is it really hard to get in as a mature student ? are they tougher ...

ok i know i have mentioned life experience a few times already ... but can someone tell me what it means. do they want someone brilliant in everyway who has done so much in there life or do they want someone who has done a bit and wants to improve and get a degree.

thank you so much :biggrin: im kinda confused :redface: i want to apply and hopefully study there but after reading a few websites for a while i think i got all :s-smilie:

Hi Im 23 and have worked since I was 16, from my experience even if the uni prospectus says they consider applicants based "on life experience" they dont in reality. My offers were still as high as everyone elses so if I dont get the grades I dont get in simple as that.
Reply 5
They take into account your life experience and the transferable skills from that to your chosen degree, and expect in general a higher work rate and ethic, low drop out rate and you are seen as a positive statistic that will contribute to the Universities drop out / completion rates.

Elitism is pretty dead really, its all about the money. Mature students have a good rep with most Uni's..

A good example of my experience being used, is my career in sales being used heavily in my personal statement for a joint honours in psychology and marketing. Recieved an Unconditional offer. Cant say for sure but alot of it is down to your personal statement, and alot of that is using your life experiences to sell yourself really. Plus the grades on the course no doubt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending