The Student Room Group

DSA equipment suppliers

Hi
I've just received my letter from student finance telling me what I'm entitled to. It lists Microlink PC as the supplier, but I was wondering if I have to use this supplier as I have been told you can turn the quote SF use down and use one of the other two?
I can't see the equipment on their website, it seems you need to ring them with your quote number, but I'm aware that the laptop that's been approved has been discontinued by toshiba and I'd rather have equipment that is 'in date' as it were. Is this something that I can do anything about?

Sorry, I haven't really got a clue about this process and my key worker is often uncontactable!
Original post by petromasha
Hi
I've just received my letter from student finance telling me what I'm entitled to. It lists Microlink PC as the supplier, but I was wondering if I have to use this supplier as I have been told you can turn the quote SF use down and use one of the other two?
I can't see the equipment on their website, it seems you need to ring them with your quote number, but I'm aware that the laptop that's been approved has been discontinued by toshiba and I'd rather have equipment that is 'in date' as it were. Is this something that I can do anything about?

Sorry, I haven't really got a clue about this process and my key worker is often uncontactable!

as far as me and my friends, people normally just get what they are given.

i got a toshiba that was a bit "out of date" buts its great, just because it might not be the newest bit of tech doesnt mean it will be bad?

but you could always contact your unis Disable student workers cant you? and explain it to them?

or ring the microlink and ask if they can subsitute would ever something with the same value?

edit: do you go through your uni for DSA? cos thats what its like in scotland, sorry if im useless :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LouisVuitton43
as far as me and my friends, people normally just get what they are given.

i got a toshiba that was a bit "out of date" buts its great, just because it might not be the newest bit of tech doesnt mean it will be bad?

but you could always contact your unis Disable student workers cant you? and explain it to them?

or ring the microlink and ask if they can subsitute would ever something with the same value?

edit: do you go through your uni for DSA? cos thats what its like in scotland, sorry if im useless :P

I don't mind things not being the newest technology at all, just a little apprehensive about one that's being discontinued by the supplier- it makes me wonder why it's being discontinued? I might be totally wrong, but I'm just wondering about replacement pieces not being attainable etc.

I think I will try to get hold of my key worker, it's just worth trying to find out as much as I can on my own, because she can take forever to contact/reply!

Uni helped me apply, and my support worker is based at uni too, if that's what you mean? It's all outside of uni from the assessment onwards though :smile:
You can't turn down a supplier unless you're willing to pay the difference between the one SFE have chosen and the one you want. You can always contact the other suppliers yourself, say that the other company has won your DSA order but you'd rather go with them and see if they can help you.

If you're happy with everything except for the laptop you can agree to have Microlink deal with everything but the laptop. You can then buy your own laptop and claim back the expenses up to the value of the laptop offered by Microlink. If you have the money around to do that then do it because you will get a much better machine than the one offered by Microlink without expense to yourself. I'm unsure how insurance works if you do that so you will need to contact SFE and ask.

Microlink were a complete nightmare for me - the seem to lose emails all over the place and it was just a generally awful experience. I asked them to upgrade or add things for me at my expense but in the end I didn't take them up on it because they were offering simple things for more than they'd cost from a really expensive shop or supplier.

Also check your equipment when it turns up, they left me with a swedish keyboard and, because I used my laptop as a laptop until last week, it's probably too late to complain now. I've also spent the past few weeks trying to get my software working - the keys were on random bits of paper or post-its so I've really had to dig. Not too helpful for someone with organisational issues.

They're cost cutting idiots out for maximum profit for as little work as possible. I hope your experience of them is better!
Oh ****. My equipment's being supplied by Microlink. Is your laptop £500 for something that should be about £300?

Original post by snoogy

You seem to know a lot about DSAs, do you know whether I can order my equipment before Result's Day?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Oh ****. My equipment's being supplied by Microlink. Is your laptop £500 for something that should be about £300?

You seem to know a lot about DSAs, do you know whether I can order my equipment before Result's Day?

Yep, I got a MacBook Pro and they were asking for more than it would have been through Apple. They charged crazy amounts to just install *some* of my programs - about £400 for what would have been about 3 hours installation. I've had to install quite a few myself and the ones they did install still needed me to type product keys in and chase stuff up and such.

You need a confirmed place but the second you have that you can call up and order it. Get your results and then get ordering the same day and it'll be there before your course starts. Make sure you ask for confirmation of your installation date by email or letter so if they mess you about you have proof :smile: They're very quick when they aren't messing you around.
Original post by snoogy
Yep, I got a MacBook Pro and they were asking for more than it would have been through Apple. They charged crazy amounts to just install *some* of my programs - about £400 for what would have been about 3 hours installation. I've had to install quite a few myself and the ones they did install still needed me to type product keys in and chase stuff up and such.

You need a confirmed place but the second you have that you can call up and order it. Get your results and then get ordering the same day and it'll be there before your course starts. Make sure you ask for confirmation of your installation date by email or letter so if they mess you about you have proof :smile: They're very quick when they aren't messing you around.

Ok. Thanks. I assumed that I couldn't order now but since you'd said they'd messed you about I thought I ought to check to give enough time. I've gotten very used to checking up on my stuff because student finance are messing me around about an allowance for en-suite accommodation (which is admittedly my assessor's fault). It's a good thing I'm in a capable phase at the moment...
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Ok. Thanks. I assumed that I couldn't order now but since you'd said they'd messed you about I thought I ought to check to give enough time. I've gotten very used to checking up on my stuff because student finance are messing me around about an allowance for en-suite accommodation (which is admittedly my assessor's fault). It's a good thing I'm in a capable phase at the moment...

You'll be fine once you have a confirmed date of delivery and installation. Just check all of your equipment when it turns up and you'll be okay. If you fancy swapping anything out then now is the time to start getting that in place. Should speed you up if you do want anything changing :smile: That way they'll just need confirmation on results day and then you're good.

SFE are not disability friendly :frown: I'm also currently doing battle with them. Not fun at all. And it's even worse at holiday time because nobody is around to help us out.
Original post by snoogy
You'll be fine once you have a confirmed date of delivery and installation. Just check all of your equipment when it turns up and you'll be okay. If you fancy swapping anything out then now is the time to start getting that in place. Should speed you up if you do want anything changing :smile: That way they'll just need confirmation on results day and then you're good.

SFE are not disability friendly :frown: I'm also currently doing battle with them. Not fun at all. And it's even worse at holiday time because nobody is around to help us out.

Oh well. At least sitting listing to student finance's on hold music gives me something to do with my day...
Reply 9
You can choose whatever suppliers you want as long as it's within the agreed money. I have bought everything myself from the Internet and have sent off all my receipts to the DSA team about a week ago, should get my money back by the end of next week. By doing this, I have all the upgrade I wanted and would have wanted in an ideal world and still managed to save them around £150. It's a bit annoying to do so, but it's worth it. Some suppliers would be willing to price match, like my uni has a supplier they work with regularly hence they were wiling to price match the entire list from the agreed supplier, but still they wanted too much for the upgrade I wanted; they wanted £300 for the upgrade on my Mac, whereas if I went for Apple directly, it costs the same as the lower specs quoted from the supplier.

here is a a number you might want to try, but you can only use it once as it's the secret number only universities should call 01325 215194. Just tell them your uni gave it to you and they will answer your questions, but probably only once. Otherwise, when you email them, ask for a direct phone number. My personal experience with the DSA team has been very positive, but yes the actual SFE number and the people are useless. It told the guy 20 mins to have found out he doesn't actually know the answer to my question.
Reply 10
Original post by petromasha
Hi

Just go with what they say, the DSA thing is a nightmare. I got it for my post grad course but by the time I got it though my course was nearly finished. Everytime an amendment gets made it takes weeks. I went with a different supplier and even though I called to check that everything was fine I am now in a major disput with them lasting a year now with little chance of it being sorted out.

Save yourself the trouble and just do what they say.
Reply 11
Original post by Jeunet
Just go with what they say, the DSA thing is a nightmare. I got it for my post grad course but by the time I got it though my course was nearly finished. Everytime an amendment gets made it takes weeks. I went with a different supplier and even though I called to check that everything was fine I am now in a major disput with them lasting a year now with little chance of it being sorted out.

Save yourself the trouble and just do what they say.

Would you mind saying a bit more about your experience? It might be helpful for people as future reference.
Reply 12
Original post by ExTraP
Would you mind saying a bit more about your experience? It might be helpful for people as future reference.

I am reluctant as this is still an ongoing issue and I know that people who work for the student awards agency read this forum.

I would just like to advise that people order their equipment from the supplier your authority suggests and if they say you can get it from elsewhere get it in writing, I was given the OK over the phone and they now deny this.
Reply 13
Original post by Jeunet
I am reluctant as this is still an ongoing issue and I know that people who work for the student awards agency read this forum.

I would just like to advise that people order their equipment from the supplier your authority suggests and if they say you can get it from elsewhere get it in writing, I was given the OK over the phone and they now deny this.

Fair enough. Hope whatever it is get sorted soon.

The fist and only piece of advice I was given by my uni is to get everything in writing.

Quick Reply

Latest