The Student Room Group

I want to study medicine abroad. Hungary? Poland?

Hi,

Is anyone from London looking to go to medical school outside of England, for example Poland or Hungary? If so, I am considering this very seriously as i would like to go this year. Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction? Which universities would be best and which universities should I avoid? I have looked into the University of Debrecan in Hungary and The Univerisity of Lublin in Poland. However, I have heard that some Polish medical schools such as Gdansk are not recommended as they are extremely hard and a number of students are kicked out during the first year as they can not meet the standard. Is this true?

I would really appreciate some feedback as I am feeling quite unsure of where to get this information and the reliability of it.

Also, is there any way to get student loans to study medicine abroad?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi
I could suggest you the "Iuliu Hatieganu" University of Medicine and Pharmacy form Cluj-Napoca, Romania. It has an English section. You can visit the website at www.umfcluj.ro .The fee is 5000euros/year but if you are hard working they can give you back half of the fee. In what regards living costs in Romnia they are low in comparison with UK.
If you need any help don't hesitate to contact me.
Good luck
Reply 2
charles university in czech republic
Reply 3
I know someone in the Czech Republic doing medicine
Semmelweise Uni in Hungary is quite good for Medicine(I know somebody who goes there). Not sure about the loans side of things?
I'm not sure if they are still taking applications though you'll have to do some research and call them up!
Reply 5
hello im actually studying medicine in poland in warsaw medical school. ive heard krakow is good. i dont know about any loans you can get. theres many students from norway and sweden and their government provides them with student loans, but not the same in the UK :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by k_man_93
Hi,

Is anyone from London looking to go to medical school outside of England, for example Poland or Hungary? If so, I am considering this very seriously as i would like to go this year. Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction? Which universities would be best and which universities should I avoid? I have looked into the University of Debrecan in Hungary and The Univerisity of Lublin in Poland. However, I have heard that some Polish medical schools such as Gdansk are not recommended as they are extremely hard and a number of students are kicked out during the first year as they can not meet the standard. Is this true?

I would really appreciate some feedback as I am feeling quite unsure of where to get this information and the reliability of it.

Thanks

I know a girl who's studying in Poland - not sure whereabouts though, she's attending our uni this year as part of as Erasmus student exchange but to be honest she doesn't seem to be up to standard on most of the things we're expected to know at this stage...could be just her or her university, I don't know.

Also know quite a few people studying in Czech Republic though and they seem to be doing alright (academically and...otherwise :P).
Reply 7
Hi,

Thanks

List of GMC accepted universities:

http://avicenna.ku.dk/database/medicine/

Which language you think you can become fluent in within two years is surely quite a critical part of the decision.
Reply 8
Why?

Surely a UK Medical School outside of London would be a better choice?
Reply 9
I am from Poland and I have some friends studying medicine. The best schools are in Lódz http://www.umed.pl/eng/ and in Bialystok http://ed.umb.edu.pl/ . However, as you said, it is quite hard and difficult, but if you have ambition and persistence you will cope with everything, I am sure :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Best medical courses in Poland are at Warsaw University and Jagiello?ski University. I wouldn't recommend you university in Lublin.. it's not very bad, ofc, however you should probably choose better school
Reply 11
i am going for an entrance exam on the 26th july in slovakia. the university is called the jessenius faculty of medicine in martin.. does anyone know how good it is?
Reply 12
i am going for an entrance exam on the 26th july in slovakia. the university is called the jessenius faculty of medicine in martin.. does anyone know how good it is?

If you start a new thread, it may be easier to see your new question ..
Reply 13
I looked around and saw that med schools in Poland are too expensive.. the same with their peers in US for foreign students.. do they deserve this?

if I would be a young UK citizen and accept to pay this much, I would apply for US med schools first.. in any case the admission criteria are similar and if I wouldnt find a seat for a UK/US school, THEN I would evaluate East European ones.. beginning with less expensive ones.. which means (to my knowledge) Romanian ones..

Lets open a new thread about Polish/Romanian schools' quality..
Does anyone know if Karolinska Institute has an undergrad medicine course? I couldn't find anything on their website which was sup rising as they seem such a medically orientated place. :smile:
Hungary's medical education system is pretty good. I've heard lots of good things about Debrecen, and it's also fairly cheap. The tuition will set you back ~13,500 USD a year, but living expenses are far, far lower than the UK. You can do the program in english but have to learn hungarian to communicate with patients (3rd year on apparently), which is an investment of time you should take into consideration.

Should be fun though! Eastern europe is underrated
Hi!
I will start dentistry in Poznan, Poland on August 24 :smile:
I have a friend who's studying medicine there and she loves it!

To apply to Poznan University of Medical Sciences I think you're a bit too late, i sent my application after Christmas and then went for an exam/interview in Feb, although i know a few people who had their interview in May.

Check out their website here: http://www.ump.edu.pl/eng/index.php?department=1

Im really excited to go there, and also this uni was voted as the best medical university in Poland this year!
Reply 17
hey . im currently in the 2nd year (medicine) at Debrecen.

do pm me with questions, im glad to answer them.
Hello,

I am a radiography graduate looking to study post grad or undergraduate Medicine in Hungary. I have emailed the university my results: 2:2 in diagnostic imaging science. Apart from my A higher physics I have little Chemistry and biology background. I am therefore taking higher chemistry and biology Highers this year. However to get into these university's I cannot see any entry requirement. Does anyone know the average entry requirementa that students have met for Hungary? Or know anyone's grades who study there? I had a look at the biology and chemistry entrance eexam but because I have not yet studied this I do not know of this is A level/higher standard or GCSE? Can anyone help??
Original post by ibru
hey . im currently in the 2nd year (medicine) at Debrecen.

do pm me with questions, im glad to answer them.

i'm thinking of heading to europe for medicine, i'm thinking of hungary, poland,spain, slovakia. could you please tell me about the tution fees, average monthly expense, and did u take a loan from bank or do you pay by yourself ?

Thank you :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending