The Student Room Group

Solid AS Level Choices?

Hello,

I've been mulling over my AS level choices, and I was wondering if they are solid/respectable choices? I don't want (and wouldn't be able) to go to Oxbridge really, so that's not a concern.

History
Classical Civilisation
Politics
Philosophy

I'll probably drop Philosophy for A2.

Thanks.
Reply 1
History is good, the others. Meh
As above, History=well respected, the others not so much.
Instead of classical civilisation, can you do just classics, preferably OCR? That's supposed to be much harder, and is more well respected.
It depends what you want to do really. You've said you don't want to go to Oxford but there are loads of other unis that only want students with strong subjects, so maybe change one of the weaker ones for something like English Lit or RE. 2 solid subjects should be enough though, so you don't have to change all of them!

Oh and I'd recommend you wait until you get your AS results before choosing what to drop!
Reply 3
Politics isn't as much of a "soft subject" as some of the people on here would have you believe. I'm doing it and I got offers from 4 top universities. The only one that rejected me, Edinburgh, said that they didn't give me an offer because of my GCSEs and B in AS Italian and didn't say any of my A Levels were unsuitable. Politics is as respected as any other A Level.

I don't know much about Classical Civilisations as an A Level. They do strike me as very similar subjects, though, particularly History, Politics and Classical Civilisations. Maybe take something like English Literature or Geography instead of Classics? Just a thought. I doubt you'll encounter too many problems though, to be quite honest. It also depends on which course you want to do.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest