The Student Room Group

Best Uni for Art foundation?

Want to do a one year Art Foundation course and was just wondering which the best Unis to look at are. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Will-Kit
Want to do a one year Art Foundation course and was just wondering which the best Unis to look at are. Thanks :smile:

I would say depending on what sort of area you want to go on and study do a course at a really well equiped college of further education. They will often spend more time and have better resources for teaching you the actual skills you will need and you can develop your style when you progress to art school. I didn't go this route but did a 4 year degree in fine art followed by a two year MA in fine art at two of the best art schools in Europe. I am now studying part time at a local college and the quality of teaching and facilities is incredible compared to what is available at art schools. Art schools get no funding and tend to have poor facilities and few tutors. The tutors they do have often think they are above having to actually do any teaching. However a good grounding and understanding of contempory discourse in fine art is essential and the unstructured nature of an art school education is important for developing a creative practice outside education.

Art Schools are also poor on professional development which leave many students floundering and working in call centres and giving up on their art after they leave.

I'd say do a 1 or 2 year course at a further education college and then apply to a scottish art school.

Quick Reply

Latest