The Student Room Group

power steering?

how much different is it without power steering than in, for example, a peugeot 207 (which my instructor has)? on what part of driving does it have greatest effect?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by brandyberry
how much different is it without power steering than in, for example, a peugeot 207 (which my instructor has)? on what part of driving does it have greatest effect?

Honestly....... quite a lot haha. If you wanna look like rambo after a week dont get power steering :P
the power steering on my car has 3 different settings and the lightest allows me to drive with my little finger so its up to what you do.
The greatest affect in my opinion is safety :smile: theres a lot more effort to put in plus you turn slower. To be honest if ya pass ya test and go test drive cars, find a dealer who deals in old cars and ask to test drive one without power steering. The difference is MASSIVE
Hope this helps
Reply 2
Without power steering, steering is much heavier.

You'll probably also find the gearing ratio is different, so non-power steering requires more turning to get full lock (not always the case, though).
Reply 3
Without powersteering it is definately heavier trust me. So u shud have powersteering if u want a easier drive :smile:
Reply 4
It's only heavier when you are doing a maneuver. :s: like parking, turning car round. I have a car without power steering it took about a month to get used to it, it's hardly difficult. :rolleyes: to people saying it's a horrible thing to have in a car
Other than than that it's no different.
Oh and you have more control over the car I think with no power steering, so i've heard.
Though power steering is good.
(edited 12 years ago)
You'll need to take a rest in the middle of an turn in the roads you do
Reply 6
Original post by Enchanté
Oh and you have more control over the car I think with no power steering, so i've heard.

I'm not sure about that - it must depend on how you define "control".

Finding it more difficult to steer (especially in an emergency, which is something new/young drivers tend to encounter more frequently based on accident statistics) definitely points to one interpretation of the word :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by DOAADI
I'm not sure about that - it must depend on how you define "control".

Finding it more difficult to steer (especially in an emergency, which is something new/young drivers tend to encounter more frequently based on accident statistics) definitely points to one interpretation of the word :smile:

I've been driving hmm, about 6 months now. And I can honestly say once the car gets going the steering is not hard at all, feels the same as a PAS car. except when parking and stuff as I said in previous post.
Reply 8
No power steering is a royal pain in the arse. Not only is it heavier, full lock is two full turns either way in my car, so doing a three point turn means doing roughly 10 turns of the steering wheel. The wheel is massive as well to compensate, so it's like being in a wheelhouse on a boat.

I've lived with it fine for 2.5 years, it's just annoying and if you regularly jump into a car that does have power steering so you're constantly seeing the difference, it's even more frustrating.
cars with no pas provides good workout.

i should know - we recently accepted from someone a 1996 ford ka as part-exchange on a new car they bought from the company, and i was entrusted with moving it into the car park round the back.... and oh.mygoodness. :| the person who gave us that ka/bought the new fiat 500 had quite impressively large arm muscles for a middle-aged woman.
Reply 10
Original post by Enchanté
I've been driving hmm, about 6 months now. And I can honestly say once the car gets going the steering is not hard at all, feels the same as a PAS car. except when parking and stuff as I said in previous post.

I take your point, but not everyone is the same. Some will have problems. And of course, it depends on the car.

Slightly different, but still relevant, there was a story on Watchdog a couple of years ago about Minis. Apparently, the power steering was packing up spontaneously when people were driving them. BMW refused to acknowledge it as a fault, and the DVLA wouldn't issue a vehicle warning because they said it was still possible to steer when the servo packed in.

The problem was mainly with female drivers (ironically, the Mini is targeted to females) who generally weren't as strong and so were having more problems when it happened.
Original post by pinksfun
Without powersteering it is definately heavier trust me. So u shud have powersteering if u want a easier drive :smile:

I agree. The steering is heavier without power steering. Id get a car with power steering if you can as its a lot easier.
Reply 12
It only makes a difference at low speeds, once you're above about 10mph it makes very little difference.
Reply 13
Depends on the car.
It only matters when you're at low speeds anyway.

Most people who claim none power steering cars are stupidly heavey are comparing it to power steering racks that have failed which are very differently geared compared to manual racks.

My own opinion is it's just something else to go wrong. Every car I've had with PAS has developed a fault with the system at some point.
Reply 14
haha thanks everyone :smile: im desperate to get a rover metro, and i've heard that due to their light weight and small tires it's less noticeable. also i've heard that if you pump tyres up a bit more than usual that helps? has anyone found that to be the case?
Original post by JC.
Depends on the car.
It only matters when you're at low speeds anyway.

Most people who claim none power steering cars are stupidly heavey are comparing it to power steering racks that have failed which are very differently geared compared to manual racks.

My own opinion is it's just something else to go wrong. Every car I've had with PAS has developed a fault with the system at some point.

Exactly. When suspension geometry was designed for non-PAS setups it had to be right. Nowadays, with PAS specified as standard manufacturers can get away with a more half ar*ed approach that the PAS covers up. Thus, when it fails it's a bind to manouvre.

In cars where I've had an opportunity to try PAS and non PAS versions back to back I have always preferred to do without. It's more responsive, feels better connected to the road and it's scarily light when you'd rather it wasn't.

But then, tastes vary.
Original post by brandyberry
haha thanks everyone :smile: im desperate to get a rover metro, and i've heard that due to their light weight and small tires it's less noticeable. also i've heard that if you pump tyres up a bit more than usual that helps? has anyone found that to be the case?

You will not need power steering on a Rover Metro. End of.

By the way, good call. I was speaking to Dr Alex Moulton on Saturday and he feels the R6 Rover Metro used the most highly developed version of the Hydragas suspension system he designed. He still has one.
Reply 17
I had an Austin Metro L Mk2 a while back.
It's fine @ low speeds. Probably one of the quickest cars you can get for around town too.

I wouldn't have another, though. For some reason it was a magnet to vandals? Wierd.
The heaviness is only really noticeable at low speeds. Seems to sap a lot of cornering feel, and thus fun.
Reply 19
Original post by HumorousGent.
The heaviness is only really noticeable at low speeds. Seems to sap a lot of cornering feel, and thus fun.

Are you serious? If anything power steering gets rid of the cornering feel because you get not response from the road.

If you were taught how to drive properly you shouldn't be dry steering. If you are not dry steering, there is barely any difference. Then again, I go gym to work out every night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending