The Student Room Group

Cheap Car Insurance for Young Drivers

Im 18 years old and ive passed my driving test about a week ago and im going to get a car, but the insurance seems to be more than the actual car :confused:
Maybe im looking at the wrong companies but can you please suggest cheap insurance companies for young drivers.

Thanks for your input.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison. Check:
www.moneysupermarket.com
confused.com
gocompare.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you wont get cheap insurance at this age.. end of!

im 18, male, passed 3 months ago and i paid £2830.19 for fully comp insurance, the car was £995.

you just have to do it, there is nothing you can do to get it cheap, so save yourself time and energy. when you see a quote for £3000 or less.. take it.
Reply 2
Original post by mosmof
you wont get cheap insurance at this age.. end of!

im 18, male, passed 3 months ago and i paid £2830.19 for fully comp insurance, the car was £995.

you just have to do it, there is nothing you can do to get it cheap, so save yourself time and energy. when you see a quote for £3000 or less.. take it.

Can you please tell me your insurance company? Because the cheapest I have been quoted is £5500 :s
Reply 3
Original post by Scarface-Don
Can you please tell me your insurance company? Because the cheapest I have been quoted is £5500 :s

tesco buddy.

yeah, i was getting stupid quotes to but tesco was the lowest of the lot. after a year though, it goes down by over £1000 so that'll be good! the first year seems to be the hardest.
Reply 4
Original post by mosmof
tesco buddy.

yeah, i was getting stupid quotes to but tesco was the lowest of the lot. after a year though, it goes down by over £1000 so that'll be good! the first year seems to be the hardest.

Thanks for the advice man :wink: im on a gap year this year so im going to have to work my ass off :biggrin:
Welcome to the world of insurance for young drivers! Shop around, price comparison etc, try Admiral, often seems cheapest, but if you want the truth if you really want to drive that bad you're gonna have to bite the bullet and pay. No other way around it i'm afraid.
Get a daewoo matiz ... cheap car , cheap insurance . WIN WIN .
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice man :wink: im on a gap year this year so im going to have to work my ass off :biggrin:

no worries.. yeah do it! i've just left education and i havent a clue haha. its cheaper to pay your premium all in one go. and also, everyone says that so-in-so car is cheap for insurance etc, but for our age, ANY car is going to be a bomb to insure. stick to something below 1.4 though for first time!

good luck!

Jesus, it was only like £1800 for me and I thought that was pricey! are you guys driving monster trucks or something?!
Reply 9
Original post by Cornish student
Jesus, it was only like £1800 for me and I thought that was pricey! are you guys driving monster trucks or something?!

LOL im just tryin to get a clio insured. £1800 is flippin amazin !! Would you mind tellin me the name of your insurance company?
Reply 10
LOL im just tryin to get a clio insured. £1800 is flippin amazin !! Would you mind tellin me the name of your insurance company?

I got a quote for £5500 for a Clio! Are you kidding me?!
if you dont want to pay extortionate insurance premiums, wait a year or two and they'll be 40-50 % of what they are now for you...
Reply 12
Try tiger.co.uk

Though I do doubt you will find a quote below £2000.
Reply 13
Im 18 years old and ive passed my driving test about a week ago and im going to get a car, but the insurance seems to be more than the actual car :confused:
Maybe im looking at the wrong companies but can you please suggest cheap insurance companies for young drivers.

Thanks for your input.

coverbox?
or you can get someone else as ur main driver

That is an instant no no for an insurance company. Young male driver who's only just passed his test, buying a clio of all things. Fiesta's, punto's, clio's, 106's, saxo's, etc are all seen as boy racer cars as they are commonly picked up cheap as chips and then modified for racing about in.

Many companies wont touch you in such a car.
(edited 12 years ago)

Aviva, but you will probably be required to "up your viva" before you qualify for insurance. :awesome:
Original post by fire2burn
That is an instant no no for an insurance company. Young male driver who's only just passed his test, buying a clio of all things. Fiesta's, punto's, clio's, 106's, saxo's, etc are all seen as boy racer cars as they are commonly picked up cheap as chips and then modified for racing about in.

Many companies wont touch you in such a car.

Mine is a punto (what a babe) and I had just passed my test when I insured it o.O Though it may be because I live more in the country and we have less boy-racer types here than in cities and big towns
Reply 17
try Liverpool Victoria insurance - they're considerably cheaper than other insurance companies for young drivers. You can't get them on price comparison websites either.
would you not consider getting a classic car and going on classic car insurance? you'd have to ring direct for quotes seeing as you are 18 years old though. mind you, if classic cars do not have enough 'street cred' for you, then this wouldn't be a solution......

if you do not mind having a tracker fitted and driving limits imposed (ie, 11pm-6am is a no-go), then perhaps try co-op young driver insurance. their price is a bit stupid if you just insure yourself, but if you have the maximum 3 named drivers they allow it fall considerably. parents, other family relations - hell, even add your elderly neightbours ;D however for them the car has to be from year 1997 or newer; also if you can't afford a car of more than £2,000, then cars that are in this budget and cheap to insure are skoda fabia, fiat panda and seat arosa. mmmmmmmm.

......apparently if the blackbox reports you to have good driving style, they can refund you up to 11% of the price you paid - however if you drive sh*t, then you have to pay around 15%-20% extra on the original quote, or they cancel it altogether ;D
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Insurance for young drivers is insane, I was getting quotes of £6k for an R reg 998cc Nissan Micra Twister.
Just the way it is I'm afraid, if you can't afford it, lay off driving for a year (As I'm doing.)
May I add, I have a pass plus qualification too, that's how much of a piss take insuring a £500 car is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending