The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Got my results, help plse.

Hi guys,

Well yesterday I got my results, not good.

I applied to Sheff Uni - Medical Genetics (wiv masters) and recieved an offer where I have to achieve 36 Credits at Distinction - I only managed to get 21 Credits at distinction :frown:..

I called them up 2day and spoke to the admissions tutor, she sed its very unlykly that they will let me in. But I was neva interviewed wen given an offer lyk 95% of the students..so wat should I do, how can I convince them????

I'm desperate, its an amazing Uni, the department I applued to is 3rd inda UK!!

Scroll to see replies

Not much you can do, to be honest, if you've already spoken to the admissions tutor. Could you perhaps ask them to defer your offer for a year and then do some retakes? Is there any way you could retake some modules and bump up your grade before September?

If you email them at all you may also want to use proper grammar and spelling :ninja:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately, you are miles away from the required results. Unless you buy your way into that Uni, I don't think there is much you can do for this academic year.
I'm not particularly informed regarding Sheffield uni, Medicine or the IB, but what about your insurance? Did you get in there?

My condolences by the way, I'm sure this will be me on the 18/8.
Original post by Bella Occhi

If you email them at all you may also want to use proper grammar and spelling :ninja:

This. PLEASE.
Original post by Bella Occhi
Not much you can do, to be honest, if you've already spoken to the admissions tutor. Could you perhaps ask them to defer your offer for a year and then do some retakes? Is there any way you could retake some modules and bump up your grade before September?

^^^ most likely way for you to get in

Unless you can triple their endowement lol
Reply 6
For God sake learn to spell.
Are you taking the piss?
Reply 8
Apologies about the spellings, i'm just very nervous and angry with myself, and them :colondollar:

I basically did an Access Science course - its an intense course that is basically 2 years of A-levels crammed into one, plus abit of degree stuff put in aswell, its for students who have bin out of education for sumtyme.

So wen i spoke to my teachers about the requirements, they sed it was realy harsh requirement.

Plus i applied for masters with it, i guess it was understandable that their requirement was high, but even wivout masters it is still da same??? wich is reali confusing...shuldn't they lower the requirement entry if its not a year of masters included???...i am soo frustrated, i'v got my insurance - they want 45 credits at Merit level
Reply 9
Well if they are ranked 3rd in the UK, I can't see what is wrong with the high requirements. Also, there is no written law that they have to reduce the requirements for a bachelor's degree.
Reply 10
Original post by shan_281
Apologies about the spellings, i'm just very nervous and angry with myself, and them :colondollar:

I basically did an Access Science course - its an intense course that is basically 2 years of A-levels crammed into one, plus abit of degree stuff put in aswell, its for students who have bin out of education for sumtyme.

So wen i spoke to my teachers about the requirements, they sed it was realy harsh requirement.

Plus i applied for masters with it, i guess it was understandable that their requirement was high, but even wivout masters it is still da same??? wich is reali confusing...shuldn't they lower the requirement entry if its not a year of masters included???...i am soo frustrated, i'v got my insurance - they want 45 credits at Merit level

I'm usually one of those members who doesn't comment on people's spellings in their posts (when they're asking for help) but your spelling seems to have deteriorated the more your post progresses :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Wow, I was just asking for help and advice in regards to my admission, but I did not realise that most people here are far too busy criticising ones’ spellings rather than helping a person.
It is called “short hand” writing, I thought I would rather not waste my time writing full sentences with immaculate spellings because I could spend that time maybe trying to clear my head and figure out what to actually do in regards to my admission. I sincerely apologise for the bad spellings, I shall keep in mind next time when I decide to ask for help that I make sure that my spellings are perfect as well as my grammar.

For those people that are much more helpful and who have given advice, thank you very much for it, I appreciate it.

Oh, and lastly, being a foreigner I am not ashamed of the fact that my spellings and grammar are not the best, I try and that is all I can do.
Reply 12
Just one other thing I would like to point out, most scientists and doctors have the ****test handwriting, spellings and grammar there is available, this is because they spend far more time concentrating on things that matter more than just writing and spelling.
(edited 12 years ago)
Take a look at your posts, type the same thing correctly ("sometime" instead of "sumtyme", "been" instead of "bin") and see how much time you actually save. 10 seconds? 15? Max 30? How much clearing your head and figuring things out can you do in half a minute? You say you want people to help you instead of whining about your spelling. But here's the thing - bad spelling makes your posts more difficult to understand, it will take readers more time to get to the point. Good punctuation and spelling are good for a reason - they make communication easier and more efficient. And frankly, if you want people to help you then you should at least have the decency to respect the time they take to read your posts and answer them and a very good way to show that respect would be to use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation so as not to make them helping you more difficult.
And the point you made about scientists' bad spelling and grammar reeks of cluelessness. Scientists' whole work depends on punctuality - you can't get your grant proposals accepted if your writing is worse than that of an illiterate teenager on acid and they could never accurately finish their experiments and data collection if the records are poorly written.

As for your problem... Sheffield is out of the question for you this year. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. Their requirement for both BSc and MSci courses is AAB and like you pointed out they're one of the best in the country for this field so they get more than enough qualified applicants and there's no reason for them to take people who underperform so significantly. Even if they made lower offers for their BSc courses it would still be something like 30+ credits at Distinction for you - something you are still far away from. You've missed your offer by a whopping 15 credits and that really is a surefire rejection. Someone suggested deferring your offer, but that won't work either because you'd still have to meet the conditions of the offer by August 31st this year. A deferred offer will not grant you an extra year to meet the conditions. At this point you've got two options - go to your insurance this year or take a gap year, retake your exams, and apply to Sheffield for 2012 entry.
Just one other thing I would like to point out, most scientists and doctors have the ****test handwriting, spellings and grammar there is available, this is because they spend far more time concentrating on things that matter more than just writing and spelling.

You forgot mathmatician.

See what I did there :awesome:
Look, spelling aside, you are, I'm afraid, a long way off the offer so it is unlikely you'll get in.

What is your insurance? Are you happy going there because it's either that or a gap year realistically. :smile:

I'm sure you'll do fine in whatever you do :smile:
Reply 16

Doctors usually have very untidy handwriting due to the number of hours they work and patients they see, scientists (lab techs) are usually quickly jotting down information whilst working so don't have the time to be immaculate.

You are neither a doctor or scientist, so using the above excuse doesn't really help you. Generally if you're asking for help or advice on forums, it's best not to get riled up too easily, your spelling is somewhat atrocious, hence the feedback.

You didn't miss their offer by a few points, you missed it by a lot so they won't be accepting you. You can either find a different university that will accept you though clearing, or take a year off and re-take your exams. Using the excuse that "it was a hard course crammed into a short space of time" isn't really necessary, you shouldn't have taken it in the first place if you couldn't cope with it.
Reply 17

I agree, I dislike spelling being used to judge people, and this is only a casual forum. But still, it just shows your laziness.

I have a really hard time with spelling, so I put a few seconds into making sure everything is correct before subjecting people to my dyslexia. Its not that hard, and its important if you want to be taken seriously.

As for your problem, you didn't get the results you wanted, the university has enough applicants to pick and choose. Take your insurance choice and live with it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
kill them mwhaaa

but seriously you could write a sympathy letter if something has happened like the loss of a family member, also you could go through clearing like go to another uni on a similar course, or if you ring them up and make some excuse up they might allow it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19

You are so far off. No, most doctors and scientists do not have the "****test handwriting, spellings and grammar". No scientist who does not know how to spell, make correct use of grammar, or similar would get far. Being able to clearly get your ideas out there is one of the most important requirements for being a scientist. Not being able to do so can, and is heavily penalised in undergraduate degress at sheffield when the time comes, and it is part of the university of Sheffield policy that they ensure you know how to write and make reports as part of virtually any degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending