The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by n33t
can you sit it more than once?!?!

You can only sit it once per application cycle. So basically you only have 1 shot every year.
Original post by Superbiomed
I just sat the UKCAT and got an average of 605...the only places that I've wanted to apply were Kings and Barts in London (for the GEP). Do you think both these uni's will disregard my application on the basis of my UKCAT score, or will they take the rest of my application into consideration?

Ok better say that I'm a medic so check these with a dentist if you can, but from what I've seen on TSR before..

I have no idea how KCL use the UKCAT for dentistry, but if it's like the medicine course then 605 wouldn't be enough :erm:

I do know how BATL use the UKCAT for dentistry, and again.. 605 would be too low.. probably too low for the 5 year course and definitely too low for GED :sadnod:

Don't know about KCL but BATL would reject you outright with this score. Sorry to have to tell you that but better you know now than in a few months time :s-smilie:

Original post by n33t

Oral has explained this nicely
:ottid:
Original post by Oral
You can only sit it once per application cycle. So basically you only have 1 shot every year.

If you read about a person having sat the UKCAT more than once (like me :awesome:) it's because they have applied during at least 2 cycles. You can only take the UKCAT once per cycle :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Oral has explained this nicely
:ottid:

If you read about a person having sat the UKCAT more than once (like me :awesome:) it's because they have applied during at least 2 cycles. You can only take the UKCAT once per cycle :smile:

Thank youuuuuuu :smile: also could you (if you have time etc) look at this thread i made pleaseeeeeeee with a cherry on top? :rolleyes:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1747405 22 views, no replies, peakkkk :frown:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Ok better say that I'm a medic so check these with a dentist if you can, but from what I've seen on TSR before..

I have no idea how KCL use the UKCAT for dentistry, but if it's like the medicine course then 605 wouldn't be enough :erm:

I do know how BATL use the UKCAT for dentistry, and again.. 605 would be too low.. probably too low for the 5 year course and definitely too low for GED :sadnod:

Don't know about KCL but BATL would reject you outright with this score. Sorry to have to tell you that but better you know now than in a few months time :s-smilie:

Thanks for your reply - tbh I knew deep down, just hoping I was wrong! lol. I'll ring Kings on monday to get a definate answer as I may as well give it a shot!
Original post by n33t
Thank youuuuuuu :smile: also could you (if you have time etc) look at this thread i made pleaseeeeeeee with a cherry on top? :rolleyes:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1747405 22 views, no replies, peakkkk :frown:

You're a medicine applicant... you should be in our forum really... not dentistry :tongue:

I'll take a look at it and then get it merged into one of our megathreads :h:

Thanks for your reply - tbh I knew deep down, just hoping I was wrong! lol. I'll ring Kings on monday to get a definate answer as I may as well give it a shot!

Yeah, no harm in clarifying to make sure :nah:

If you hear differently from what I said could you let me know please so I can amend the advice I give in the future :smile:
Yeah, no harm in clarifying to make sure :nah:

If you hear differently from what I said could you let me know please so I can amend the advice I give in the future :smile:

Yep, will do! :biggrin:
Original post by n33t

no, just once a year
Reply 87

I just sat the UKCAT and got an average of 605...the only places that I've wanted to apply were Kings and Barts in London (for the GEP). Do you think both these uni's will disregard my application on the basis of my UKCAT score, or will they take the rest of my application into consideration?

hey i applied for dentistry 2011 entry i didnt get an offer but i got interviews for kings and barts. my ukcat was 630 not as low as yours but still low. it seemed that kings were going according to ukcat scores for the iv selection process working their way down (famously known as queen marys policy) as i was in the second to last batch of ivs but its been said that when they get to the last batches they look at the whole application alot more particularly gcses...so i think my gcses saved me. And queen marys were using the known kings policy (officially or unofficially this is what was observed by dental applicants) where low ukcat can be compensated for by high gcses and a high ukcat can compensate low gcses which is why i think i was in the first batch of interviews as i had extremely high gcses and a very low ukcat score.( i understand its not as clear cut as this but they start somewhere)
Also, not to mention by chemistry teacher who is in charge of medical and dental applications at my school and has been on iv panels found out that queen marys had a ukcat cut off score of 570 this year because people decided against applying to them knowing they go heavily on ukcat.

im not sure what policy these unis are following this year so yeah definitely ring up... but at the end of the day it depends on what the ukcat scores of people applying to barts or kings is like. if the majority have high ukcat scores the cut off score will be high and if its low the cut off score will be low. Hope this helps but yeah you'll get better advice by ringing them :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by conjepense
hey i applied for dentistry 2011 entry i didnt get an offer but i got interviews for kings and barts. my ukcat was 630 not as low as yours but still low. it seemed that kings were going according to ukcat scores for the iv selection process working their way down (famously known as queen marys policy) as i was in the second to last batch of ivs but its been said that when they get to the last batches they look at the whole application alot more particularly gcses...so i think my gcses saved me. And queen marys were using the known kings policy (officially or unofficially this is what was observed by dental applicants) where low ukcat can be compensated for by high gcses and a high ukcat can compensate low gcses which is why i think i was in the first batch of interviews as i had extremely high gcses and a very low ukcat score.( i understand its not as clear cut as this but they start somewhere)
Also, not to mention by chemistry teacher who is in charge of medical and dental applications at my school and has been on iv panels found out that queen marys had a ukcat cut off score of 570 this year because people decided against applying to them knowing they go heavily on ukcat.

im not sure what policy these unis are following this year so yeah definitely ring up... but at the end of the day it depends on what the ukcat scores of people applying to barts or kings is like. if the majority have high ukcat scores the cut off score will be high and if its low the cut off score will be low. Hope this helps but yeah you'll get better advice by ringing them :smile:

I had 2 interviews and then rejections for 2011 too :'(

(great advice & info though by the way)
Reply 89
Heya everyone, i've beein doing some practise tests and i'm averaging about 655 per section, is that going to be enough to apply to places like Barts and newcastle? (for Dentistry
Good luck to everyone as well! :smile:
Reply 90
Any hints of what I should read in order to improve my English for UKCAT?
Reply 91
hey
could anyone tell me what gcse maths stuff i needt to know about ??
e.g. percentages -- how do you calculate %change?
Original post by conjepense

Wow thanks! You have officially re-kindled my hope again! haha. I will definitely ring them up tomorrow and clarify this all, and then let you guys know what they say!

I was pondering on whether to apply for both undergrad and postgrad in the hope of increasing my chances, as rumours (as usual) are that the UKCAT isn't used as strictly for undergrad...another question I'll have to ask them!

Thanks for your reply :smile:
Rang up the KCL admissions office - they said that the average UKCAT score they had for 2011 entry was 650 for applicants that were invited for interview. They also mentioned that a low UKCAT score would reduce your chances, but also that the whole application is taken into account and not just the UKCAT. Tbh, not all too helpful...but that's what they said. She was unable to answer specific (more helpful) questions as only the interview/admissions panel know how they choose applicants.
Reply 94
I'm really struggling for this test.

Abstract reasoning is tough as nails and my maths isn't so good either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/number/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/data

Would it be worth going over these websites to brush up my maths? Data handling and numeracy is the type of maths in the UKCAT test, right? No algebra?
Original post by oz40
I'm really struggling for this test.

Abstract reasoning is tough as nails and my maths isn't so good either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/number/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/data

Would it be worth going over these websites to brush up my maths? Data handling and numeracy is the type of maths in the UKCAT test, right? No algebra?

AR is all about the practice, if you haven't already gotten a UKCAT book then I strongly recommend doing so. To start off with I recommend ignoring the time limits and learning why an answer is correct. After a while you begin to see the patterns quicker and it'll get easier.

With QR, generally speaking, the level of maths is low.. about GCSE standard. Now I understand not everyone likes maths so if you're finding the concepts difficult then it probably is a good idea to use bitesize and I'm sure if you ask nicely your old maths teacher will be willing to help you with some concepts (especially if you bribe them with chocolate etc)
Only once you understand the concepts required should you start working on the time limitations and practising doing things quickly.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but that's because it is!

Noone ever said this was going to be easy :no:

Other than that good luck! :smile:
Reply 96
Thanks for the advice.
Reply 97
hey i just did the test today and got 735 im applying for sheff, newcastle... but what does this score mean exactly. lol i know it sounds stupid but i just dont know were it puts me and how dental unis use the scores.

help would be appreciated :biggrin:
Original post by hamhead94

Original post by hamhead94
hey i just did the test today and got 735 im applying for sheff, newcastle... but what does this score mean exactly. lol i know it sounds stupid but i just dont know were it puts me and how dental unis use the scores.

help would be appreciated :biggrin:

i would be over the moon with that score! i remember Dundee saying 600 ish was their cut off for interviews so congratulations! I have mine tomorrow - so scared! Is the real thing easier than the practices?
Reply 99
yeah i did the practice tests and failed miserably. erm the english section is similar to the test the maths section is a lil bit easier the practice test i found the pattern section MUCH easier scoring the highest in this secion and the codes was a lil bit easier aswell

Quick Reply

Latest