The Student Room Group

TSR's Movie Madness

Scroll to see replies

Shawshank won for the same reason it's currently top of the IMDb top 250 - it's just a generally good film with no real flaws.
Reply 561
Original post by Sonny_J_D
Shawshank won for the same reason it's currently top of the IMDb top 250 - it's just a generally good film with no real flaws.

Actually, I think the reason Shawshank won was because most of the 10 or so films that are considerably better than it were inexplicably knocked out early on. It was like a Wimbledon where all the seeds except one go out in the first round, and its immediately obvious who is going to win.
Original post by py0alb
Actually, I think the reason Shawshank won was because most of the 10 or so films that are considerably better than it were inexplicably knocked out early on. It was like a Wimbledon where all the seeds except one go out in the first round, and its immediately obvious who is going to win.

Yeah - but also it came up against a few genre films and also an old classic (Casablanca) and so its more ubiquitousness appeal help it somewhat
LOTR, you will always be my number one :emo:
Reply 564
Original post by Ice_Queen
Why don't you like it?

(This is a genuine question.)

Where did I say I didn't like it? I liked it quite a bit, I just don't think it's the greatest film ever like IMDB and the people of TSR seem to think so. :tongue:
Original post by Deshi
Where did I say I didn't like it? I liked it quite a bit, I just don't think it's the greatest film ever like IMDB and the people of TSR seem to think so. :tongue:

TSR is hardly representative :p:

When you said 'it's not great' I thought you meant it was very mediocre.
Someone tell me, how good is Shutter Island? watchable?
Original post by boromir9111

Most definitely watchable
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Most definitely watchable

thanks...+repped!
What about Green Zone? I have it on stream now.....
What about Green Zone? I have it on stream now.....

I stayed away from that film for quite a while but it turned out to be a solid thriller/action film.
I have lost faith in TSR. voting DK to the final :facepalm2:, it shouldnt have even been in the comp.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by affleming
I have lost faith in TSR. voting DN to the final :facepalm2:, it shouldnt have even been in the comp.

Why?
DK*
:colonhash:
Original post by cambo211
Why?

I believe it is one of the most overrated films of our time, there were so many classics which got knocked out at the beginning such as the good the bad the ugly :confused:

then again it may be because the majority have seen films such as the dark knight.
Original post by sheep_go_baa
DK*
:colonhash:

Fixed.
I have lost faith in TSR. voting DK to the final :facepalm2:, it shouldnt have even been in the comp.

hhhmmm.....it was a good film but I agree, Shawshank Redemption was much better for me :yep:
Reply 577

It's watchable, but accept now that you will a) guess the ending within the first 10 minutes, b) spend the rest of the movie hoping that you will be wrong and something less predictable and cliched will happen, and c) be left disappointed when this doesn't happen.
Reply 578
I believe it is one of the most overrated films of our time, there were so many classics which got knocked out at the beginning such as the good the bad the ugly :confused:

then again it may be because the majority have seen films such as the dark knight.

I agree. It was a decent batman flick, with a solid message, but it had so many plot flaws it just bugged me the whole way through. Normally you only spot holes in the plot when you discuss it afterwards, but I noticed them all straight away with DK and it ruined it for me.

With the benefit of a more non-partisan appraisal and a bit more distance, it might just about sneak into the top 100 films of all time - but its no way top 10.
Original post by Dalek1099
Well the only movie on the list i have ever seen got to the final but surely 200 voters isn't enough to go by.

Yes it is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending