The Student Room Group

Would you eat Halal meat? Why/Why not?

This isn't here to cause arguments or whatever, so if it does then feel free mods to delete it.

To cut a long story short. It's our school prom on Saturday and a lot of people are complaining that all the meat they're serving is halal and I don't understand why. The people organising the prom took the decision to serve Halal meat due to the fact the majority of people attending are Muslim. In my opinion, that's fair enough. A chicken is a chicken regardless of the way it is killed or if it is blessed... Another thing is that a lot of high street chains sell Halal meat anyway i.e. Nandos...

Anywhere here is someone's reply on the Facebook event about it when someone posted a comment about how 'Halal food doesn't convert you into a Muslim.'

Lovely to know but maybe some people just feel a little pissed off that in this Christian country we're being made to eat food from a minority which is fair to say us expanding but the fact of the matter is that if we had a number of Jewish guests at the prom they wouldn't serve kosher and therefore said Jewish guests would be eating the vegetarian option and I think that what people find unfair is that we're having another religions food forced upon us without our choice when they could quite happily have the vegetarian optio Just sayin'

Thoughts? Do you have a problem eating a Halal meat and if you do could you say why. No neg rep will come your way from me :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would rather not eat halal meat because I do not agree in the way it is killed - I don't think that it is humane to slit an animals throat and kill it without it being stunned first.

Edit: lol, negged for my opinion!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I just want to eat. :frown:
Reply 3
I probably have already, most meat in Subway is halal, and I've eaten Subway many times.
Chicken cottage is Halal meat...

TBH I don't even know what HALAL is, if it's chicken that tastes good, it goes. Don't care if it was raped by a monkey before death... it's it's safe to eat, I'm eating :smile:
Reply 5
I would not eat halal meat, I strongly disagree with the inhumane way they kill their animals.
I avoid it when eating out at all costs.
Reply 6
I have no strong opinions either way. The process of killing in Halal does tend to be worse, more inhumane, than standard industry practice in Western Nations however I am only too aware that most meat slaughtered fails to meet standard industry practice. However to the religious, the food having been blessed in the name of another god would be offensive. Would you have liked to eat food blessed in the name of the all-father, Odin?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm not religious, vegetarian and English and I prefer animal slaughter to be done halal if it must be done. It's more peaceful than going on a conveyor belt and getting stunned, which may or may not work properly. Slitting the throat is just like going to sleep and it's done in an environment where the animal is respected as it is required in the ritual that this is so.

It's just my unbiased opinion. You may argue that stunning them gives them a quicker hence more humane death but it just doesn't feel right to me. It's too processed and disrespectful.

I've change my mind since writing this. Killing it in the Halal way can also be unnecessarily cruel. Final conclusion - Humans are ****s.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm not muslim and I've had halal meat. I didn't die or anything :P

I wouldn't buy it over non-halal though.
meh I eat it all the time and don't really care tbh I eat kosher as well :biggrin:
As curlyhaired dude said, chicken cottage is halal. So is dixy chicken :colonhash:
Reply 10
During Halal slaughter they are not obliged to stun the animal first, as non-Halal/Kosher methods are. Obviously, some Halal meat will have been stunned, but since there's no way of knowing, I'll always avoid it.
Reply 11
It's actually more humane to kill an animal the 'halal' way because it doesn't suffer for long. Animals are stunned a few times before they die the normal way
Reply 12
I wont specifically buy it, as I dont understand why animals should suffer a few minutes extra over normal slaughter.
Reply 13
I'd rather not eat it because I don't want to follow Muslim rules. It's fine for Muslims to, it's their choice, but why should others be forced to also follow Muslim rules? I have nothing against others doing it, but they should not force it on anyone. They should always give a choice between them.
Reply 14
I refuse to eat any meat unless the animal willingly kills itself and gives me permission to eat it after its death.

I actually don't give a ****. You can't justify killing an animal and then eat it, no matter what way you kill it.

Eat meat, it's delicious. And start giving a **** for the things that actually matter in life.
Reply 15
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Don't care if it was raped by a monkey before death... it's it's safe to eat, I'm eating :smile:

Lol, "raped by a monkey".
Reply 16
Original post by Aysh161
It's actually more humane to kill an animal the 'halal' way because it doesn't suffer for long. Animals are stunned a few times before they die the normal way

no it isnt. This country ( Netherlands ) just has a new law prohibiting ritual slaughter, after weeks of discussions about suffering for animals etc.
I don't get why people have such an issue in regards to Halal meat. Muslims eat halal meat, so what? Let them!

For those who say this is a 'Christian country', no it is not. This is a secular country where people have the freedoms to practise whatever relgion they want.

I'm a Muslim and I don't always eat halal meat because I'm not religious but I will defend the right for Muslims to eat halal because it is important to many of them. They view it as a more humane way of killing an animal as it is slaughtered with a sharp knife to a vital vein in the animals neck so they experence minimal pain.
Im a muslim and have had halal and non-halal chicken to be honest i was just curious if it tasted better so i tried some and there was no difference what so ever. So yeah i really from there on in knew there was no difference so i just really stuck to halal if that makes sense.

Halal meat is not cooked in-humanly its just a western point of view.

Same goes for us muslims really, we think that YOUR way of shooting the animal in the head and stunning it in the spine is inhumane.
Reply 19
In the case you describe I think it makes perfect sense to cater to the majority with the food; they seem to be supply options (ie veggie option) and presumably meet other dietary requirements.

If the person commenting on fb had given a valid reason for why they don't want to eat Halal meat (something to do with the method of killing perhaps) then maybe it would make a bit of sense but they don't, they just seem to object to it because they don't want to accept that the school's culture is different to what it would have been x years ago.

I don't eat meat so can't comment really on what I'd eat; from what I've seen I'd say there are more humane killing methods nowadays, but don't know for sure as I haven't researched the issue in depth.

Latest