The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Most chip shops serve Halal.
Original post by Zuxan
I'd rather not eat it because I don't want to follow Muslim rules. It's fine for Muslims to, it's their choice, but why should others be forced to also follow Muslim rules? I have nothing against others doing it, but they should not force it on anyone. They should always give a choice between them.

Now who said anything about forcing??
Beyond me.
Original post by Zuxan
I'd rather not eat it because I don't want to follow Muslim rules. It's fine for Muslims to, it's their choice, but why should others be forced to also follow Muslim rules? I have nothing against others doing it, but they should not force it on anyone. They should always give a choice between them.

You aren't being forced to follow Muslim rules, in what way are you?

I think it's plain stupid if a Muslim were forcing non-Muslims to follow their rules, I've never seen it happening and it would make sense and wouldn't be fair if it was.
ROFL Some posters on here are being pedantic/over analyzing.Either ways it's killed in the end now to answer which is brutal/much painful method than other,one has to be an eye-witness or hell be a chicken yourself and go through the trial.
Reply 24
Original post by merryhappy
I don't get why people have such an issue in regards to Halal meat. Muslims eat halal meat, so what? Let them!

For those who say this is a 'Christian country', no it is not. This is a secular country where people have the freedoms to practise whatever relgion they want.

I'm a Muslim and I don't always eat halal meat because I'm not religious but I will defend the right for Muslims to eat halal because it is important to many of them. They view it as a more humane way of killing an animal as it is slaughtered with a sharp knife to a vital vein in the animals neck so they experence minimal pain.

Absolutely!!! Great point. I have eaten Halal meat as i have a lot of muslim friends and it would have been very rude and offensive for me to turn the food down based on how it was killed. I am not religous by any means and totally agree that this is a secular country. If most of the guests eat halal then whats the problem. The meat should satisfy the majority and if a minority dont want to eat they can always have veggie.
There was a topic about this before.
Devolved into how humane/inhumane each process is, with the Halal process being less humane coming out on top (i think?) due to the fact the amount of studies that showed that the Halal method was less painful was quite alot less in number than those which showed the opposite.

I also remember someone had quoted some archbishop over the whole "supermarkets are secretly selling us Halal" whom also took the stance against it on religious reasons.

In your situation they are right to. It's the majority. Yes, the country isn't majority muslim, but who cares? In your prom they are. Makes more sense to cater to the masses. There's bound to be a veggie option. Right?

Personally I avoid the stuff if I can.
(edited 12 years ago)
I can kinda see where the person is coming from in regards to the jewish kosher food. They wouldn't serve that at a prom and they probbaly would just have to have the vegetarian option. So yea, I'd be a bit like "oh right then" if they decided to serve halal meat at my school prom -back in the day- but that would probably be because I went to a jesuit catholic high school lmao.
Reply 27
Original post by merryhappy
I don't get why people have such an issue in regards to Halal meat. Muslims eat halal meat, so what? Let them!

For those who say this is a 'Christian country', no it is not. This is a secular country where people have the freedoms to practise whatever relgion they want.

I'm a Muslim and I don't always eat halal meat because I'm not religious but I will defend the right for Muslims to eat halal because it is important to many of them. They view it as a more humane way of killing an animal as it is slaughtered with a sharp knife to a vital vein in the animals neck so they experence minimal pain.

In a non ritual abattoir, animals are also killed using a sharp knife into the carotid artery but before this happens they have been stunned, meaning that they are in an unconscious state before they are killed. Thats the problem that I have with it - it must be terrifying for the animal to be hoisted up by its back legs whilst it is still conscious. I can understand though that it would make sense to have Halal meat at the prom, I myself though would not eat it :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I disagree with Halal meat - I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid eating it, but if an alternative is there, I'll always go for the alternative. I don't like the way the animals are slaughtered at all, and to be perfectly honest, I don't like having the Muslim way of life forced upon me. I live in Wales, which is a secular country but still pretty Christian in its values and ways, and although I am an atheist, I'd rather live by a Christian's rules than a Muslim's.
Original post by dunnicare
Now who said anything about forcing??
Beyond me.

Some of these idiots are beyond reasoning. Dont like halal = don't eat it.
Reply 30
Some of the responses here..... :facepalm2:

Now a Kebab and a Chicken burger is threatening your way of life?

Morons.
(edited 12 years ago)
Why- Meat is meat I don't really care.
- Do not agree how animals for non-halal meat are kept sometimes

Why not- Do not agree with the way it is killed
- Not a Muslim and do not feel like eating meat blessed by a god I do not believe in.
- All the halal butchers near me smell horrible and I've seen the meat being delivered
and one of them left the meat lying on the van floor instead of hooking it up
disgusting.

At the end of the day if I had a choice I would always chose non- Halal if I didn't have a choice I would probably not mind as long as I knew the source and it looked ok and didn't smell bad but the halal butchers infront of my house (the one that left the meat lying on the floor) makes me kinda funny about it if its not from a supermarket.
Besides the way in which halal meat is cooked, is there any other difference? Like does it taste different? I don't know if I've ever eaten it before but I wouldn't rule it out. Food is food to me, no matter what way it is cooked.
Original post by ibysaiyan
ROFL Some posters on here are being pedantic/over analyzing.Either ways it's killed in the end now to answer which is brutal/much painful method than other,one has to be an eye-witness or hell be a chicken yourself and go through the trial.

And that's when the Hindus come in. :chaplin::mmm:

I kid of course. :smile:

This is a reference to reincarnation by the way to anyone who didn't get it. :getmecoat:
****ing hilarious how idiots "do not agree with the way the animal is killed" when preparing halal meat and yet are more often than not perfectly fine with eating from KFC and other places which kill their meat in a far more inhumane manner.
Reply 35
I am from a Hindu background. Agnostic now. Its annoying how we have to eat Halal food. Yes. And lots more things are annoying about the people who want us to eat Halal food. If I expressed my opinions I would be blocked by the Moderators lol.
Reply 36
Original post by Deathly_Hallows
Besides the way in which halal meat is cooked, is there any other difference? Like does it taste different? I don't know if I've ever eaten it before but I wouldn't rule it out. Food is food to me, no matter what way it is cooked.

No i dont think it did taste different at all and i probably wouldnt have noticed if i hadnt been asked if it was alright if the meat was halal. If anything it tastest better as in the falvour of the meat was stronger but this could have just been that the friend who made it for me was a good cook!
Original post by FloRaRa
I would not eat halal meat, I strongly disagree with the inhumane way they kill their animals.
I avoid it when eating out at all costs.

this and i ask if its halal meat,
No. It's extremely inhumane making an animal suffer for longer than necessary and I'm not remotely religious (and as such not in anyway religiously preferential).
Original post by Deathly_Hallows

It's not about the way it's cooked it's about the way it's killed.

Have you actually read any of the posts before commenting?

Latest